• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is Mike Francesa the luckiest radio host ever?

Hannity talks like a radio host. Francesa has no radio talent. Getting rid of callers quickly and talking slowly isn't talent.

I don’t know what a radio host is supposed to talk like, however, Hannity actually talks very poorly, in my view. He tends to drone on in a monotone, nasal voice, he’s rather inarticulate, he’s repetitious and he lacks a sense of humor.

I don’t know what a radio host is supposed to talk like, however, Hannity actually talks very poorly, in my view. He tends to drone on in a monotone, nasal voice, he’s rather inarticulate, he’s repetitious and he lacks a sense of humor.

It's not only radio. I've seen posts like that on here.

Hannity speaks quickly. He's monotone when he is discussing things with 3 guests on, but he's not monotone when he's doing his monologue. Mike has no sense of humor. Francesa sounds like a guy waiting in line at a pizzeria.

Question : Did Russo start at the same time as Francesa ? Or did they arrive separately ?

Or to put it in a traditional sports way : 'who was on first?'

As you might deduce, I'm neither a talk-radio fan (pun untended) or talk-radio person. Just a curious DXer either to AM or FM any more.

How so? He is a blowhard that talks into a mic for 3 hours. Is that what qualifies as a broadcaster now?

Limbaugh is very talented at what he does. He has an encyclopedic knowledge combined with a keen sense of humor, and the stamina and popularity to last so many years.

Limbaugh is very talented at what he does. He has an encyclopedic knowledge combined with a keen sense of humor, and the stamina and popularity to last so many years.
Francesa is the same way with sports. I think they have both gone on long past their sell by date. Francesa is a shell of himself and is just as crabby now as Limbaugh is.

Limbaugh was very talented at what he did. He had an encyclopedic knowledge combined with a keen sense of humor, and the stamina and popularity to last so many years.

FTFY.

There’s nothing worse in political talk than a host who has become a true believer. Limbaugh’s ego has subsumed whatever talent and humor he had...probably why he’s now on third-rate signals in many markets.

Where exactly are these third-rate signals? Sure, there are stations in small towns that carry Rush, but at least here in the Midwest he is on a ton of solid signals even if not all of them are 50,000 watts. He's on 50Ks in New York and Philly as well as other places.
Lee's comment hit the nail on the head. That is why Rush is still around ... as well as Francesa, even if the latter isn't nearly as articulate as the former. Both get listeners and get people talking. An error many listeners make is taking hosts too seriously and forgetting that on some level, they're entertainers, not policy makers.

An error many listeners make is taking hosts too seriously and forgetting that on some level, they're entertainers, not policy makers.

Some hosts are guilty of that as well. The real problem is when policy makers look to radio hosts for policy advice.

Where exactly are these third-rate signals? Sure, there are stations in small towns that carry Rush, but at least here in the Midwest he is on a ton of solid signals even if not all of them are 50,000 watts. He's on 50Ks in New York and Philly as well as other places.
Lee's comment hit the nail on the head. That is why Rush is still around ... as well as Francesa, even if the latter isn't nearly as articulate as the former. Both get listeners and get people talking. An error many listeners make is taking hosts too seriously and forgetting that on some level, they're entertainers, not policy makers.
What else would these stations air in place of Rush? I'm sure they have multi year contracts to air his show. If Rush retired tomorrow would these stations be thrilled to get him off the air or crave to have 3 hours of filler.

What else would these stations air in place of Rush? I'm sure they have multi year contracts to air his show. If Rush retired tomorrow would these stations be thrilled to get him off the air or crave to have 3 hours of filler.

There is no line of succession in talk radio. Just as there was no replacement for Stern.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom