Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WAXQ

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CassChopper96 View Post
    Philadelphia is pretty diverse and WMMR,WMGK and WRFf are all doing well
    Big difference when comparing with New York. NYC is 55% Black, Asian and Hispanic. Philly is about 65% white.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

This has made me listen to Q|WAXQ for the first time in years. I have to admit that it is an interesting blend of rock. Maybe a Jack-esque presentation. I was able to listen to a few of the jocks breaks, but not many. Any info/thoughts the the midday female and afternoon drive male? Obviously, Jim Kerr is the strong glue on the station. How has this station done so well, in the scheme of things, with a bit of an offbeat playlist? Has iHeart left them along on programming, etc? The station is listenable for sure, but quite understated in presentation. Other people have thoughts/opinions on how it sounds?

Dosent Iheart New Jersey rocker 103.7 NNJ interfer the New York area as well

WNNJ is out in Sussex County. Nowhere close to New York. Not to mention that NYC has no signals on that frequency.

There is actually quite a history of what had to actually happen for 103.5 WKTU to make the trip to the Empire State Building. I believe David Eduardo can best elaborate on the history and I recall he may have not so long ago... but needless-to-say that it did take mutual cooperation between WKTU, WNNJ and WPRB to pave the way for that move. I'm thinking maybe WMGM may have also been involved in a fringe fashion as they do have a directional signal towards NYC. I don't think WNNJ was a Chancellor/AM-FM/Clear Channel/iHeart Media station at the time either IIRC...

Quote Originally Posted by Radi0411 View Post
    There is actually quite a history of what had to actually happen for 103.5 WKTU to make the trip to the Empire State Building.
    The antenna has actually bounced around a lot. It started on Long Island, then moved to the Chrysler Building in the mid 60s, then to the World Trade Center in the late 70s, and then after 9-11, it moved to its current spot on the ESB. But the power situation is where I'll defer to others, because I don't believe it was always at its current 6K watts.

As you know, stations in some markets have huge signals based on HAAT. Look at LA. I think it may be time to take the cost savings of electricity into consideration and allow the FCC to let stations operate efficiently from taller towers, as long as the signals stay within the proper radius. Heck, in NYC, the new tall and skinny buildings are going to be taller than the old radio towers. (Then I go off the tracks on how impossible it really is to compete with non-radio music sources when it's nearly impossible to get a clear signal on FM in 2019....)

Quote Originally Posted by Tibbs4 View Post
    As you know, stations in some markets have huge signals based on HAAT. Look at LA. I think it may be time to take the cost savings of electricity into consideration and allow the FCC to let stations operate efficiently from taller towers, as long as the signals stay within the proper radius. Heck, in NYC, the new tall and skinny buildings are going to be taller than the old radio towers. (Then I go off the tracks on how impossible it really is to compete with non-radio music sources when it's nearly impossible to get a clear signal on FM in 2019....)
    Stations can already go to whatever is the tallest building or hill or mountain around. Power is adjusted downwards when the "standard" height for the class of station is exceeded.

There is, however, a point where going too high with much lower power is just not the best solution. I was involved with an LA class A that went to a lower mountaintop, but ended up with about 570 watts. It had a bad signal everywhere and did not penetrate. We went to a location where we had 6 kw at conforming height, and the ratings on the signal quadrupled.
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    The antenna has actually bounced around a lot. It started on Long Island, then moved to the Chrysler Building in the mid 60s, then to the World Trade Center in the late 70s, and then after 9-11, it moved to its current spot on the ESB. But the power situation is where I'll defer to others, because I don't believe it was always at its current 6K watts.
    When I did due diligence on WTFM in the late 70's, Friendly Frost had it on a separate, directional antenna on one of the WTC towers. The WTC was not an ideal site, since the MSA and the signal did not match as well as the ESB stations did, and it was already known that the station could likely move with some legal and technical negotiations.

When I looked at the facility up on the roof of the WTC tower, they had just begun operating with 3.4 kw, directional @ 1400 feet after moving from the Chrysler Building with, IIRC, 7.1 kw horizontal and slightly less vertical. The ESB common antenna at the time was at about 1220 feet. It eventually increased to about 6 kw on the WTC site, but I believe it was even more directional.

Quote Originally Posted by Radi0411 View Post
    There is actually quite a history of what had to actually happen for 103.5 WKTU to make the trip to the Empire State Building. I believe David Eduardo can best elaborate on the history and I recall he may have not so long ago... but needless-to-say that it did take mutual cooperation between WKTU, WNNJ and WPRB to pave the way for that move. I'm thinking maybe WMGM may have also been involved in a fringe fashion as they do have a directional signal towards NYC. I don't think WNNJ was a Chancellor/AM-FM/Clear Channel/iHeart Media station at the time either IIRC...
    My recollections are based on the period of time when I negotiated a purchase of the station from Friendly Frost until the time that the Pantry Pride/ Food Fair bankruptcy made us forfeit our deposit on WTFM by cancelling the sale agreement (long story of a Supermarket company owning radio stations). They had just moved to the WTC roof, and were doing engineering to increase power. That was in the mid-1978 to early 1979 period IIRC.

Interestingly, we had a contract on WTFM for $7.8 million!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast