Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WAXQ

WAXQ

I just found out that New York dosent have an active rock station should WAXQ become active rock

Quote Originally Posted by CassChopper96 View Post
    I just found out that New York dosent have an active rock station should WAXQ become active rock

Should a top rated radio station blow itself up so it can become a low rated station?

And what happens to the millions of fans who love Q104? Just forget about them?

No the station will still be a rock station just they will add newer rock songs to their playlist

They tried it about 20 years ago. When they switched from classical WNCN, Q104-3 was a pretty low-key active rock station. No real wacky drive time DJs (I think their wackiest get was they tried Darian O'Toole in mornings and it failed miserably in about a year) K-Rock switched to a harder-based alternative rock format in '96, and they shuffled to classic rock.

Question I'd wager is why would they abandon a sellable format they basically have to themselves in market #1?
    As we used to say down in ol' Mexico City...A.M.F.!

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    No the station will still be a rock station just they will add newer rock songs to their playlist
    I have to believe that WAXQ does considerable music testing. One of their concerns with each test is how much music of more recent years they can add so that they don't end up with an aging demo while simultaneously alienating current listeners.

WAXQ has been scoring in the range of 3rd to 5th in 25-54 men in recent books, and they certainly do not want to put that audience in jeopardy. At the same time, all gold based stations have to keep trying to introduce newer songs that their listeners like. However, with this format, classic rock, "new" means "90s" and that is not going to change. The stations that beat it in 25-54 men are, generally, WBLS, WFAN and WLTW... none of which are remotely close in format; WAXQ has a nice, sizable market mostly to itself and averages about 2.1 million weekly listeners.
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 06-09-2019 at 10:45 PM.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Most markets do not have an active rock station. That should tell you something.

New York is about 55% African American, Asian and Hispanic, with another 10% or so of first generation immigrants from places like Persia, Russia, etc. Those are groups that severely under-index in rock station listening. So the market is not a favorable one for any kind of rock that appeals to those under 35.
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 06-09-2019 at 10:42 PM.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

The formula they're using at Q works well. As a younger guy who prefers classic rock (especially the 70s, 80s, and the 90s titles that Q plays), I do really like the station and know a lot of people around my age that prefer it over stations like Hot 97, Z100, KTU, etc. I don't see it going anywhere/changing any time soon.

As the old adage says, if it ain't broke, don't fix it... or in this case, blow it up.

Quote Originally Posted by AceBiscuits View Post
    The formula they're using at Q works well. As a younger guy who prefers classic rock (especially the 70s, 80s, and the 90s titles that Q plays), I do really like the station and know a lot of people around my age that prefer it over stations like Hot 97, Z100, KTU, etc. I don't see it going anywhere/changing any time soon.

As the old adage says, if it ain't broke, don't fix it... or in this case, blow it up.

AceBiscuits - Well said. You get "it." So, what are some of your favorite songs being played on Q? It's nice to see what you and your friends are enjoying.

Do Rock stations tend to do worse In majority Hispanic areas

Do rock stations do worse in majority Hispanic areas

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast