• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Fort Wayne Public Television fills the need...

FW Public Television, the group that owns/operates WFWA 39 announced that around Oct. 1 of this year they're planning to add a weather radar channel on 39.5. (Currently they run PBS national feed on .1, PBS Kids on .2, Create on .3, and their own channel "PBS Explore" on .4...)
(This comes after WISE 33 dropped their radar channel on 33.2 and added 5 new sub-nets.)
Apparently there's a demand for on-air radar in the Summit City...

(update with info from Thursday's Indiana RadioWatch)
July 1 the .5 channel is expected to come on...just with radar coverage
around Labor Day there will be added forecasts and live weather.
(what was offered on 33.2 was just WPTA's radar feed with NOAA radio and watch/warning crawls when necessary.)

Live forecasts seems like an awful lot of effort for an operation without an existing news department. Seems like it would be plenty to have the radar with an L-ticker showing current conditions and the 3 day outlook.

I would bet (not knowing) that the audio for this channel is from the National Weather Service. (That's what WPTA did on 33.2.)
Anything else would be indeed new to the operation.
But they're trying. Seems local radar loss hit a sore spot in FW...seems the old guard (aka 3 channels and 2 papers are good enough) can't stand it.
((Yeah I'm cracking a joke on this area...some just want it the way it was (and won't go back to now...)))

I looked Friday and it was up and running.
Right now it's just radar from the National Weather Service's North Webster facility and NOAA weather radio.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom