• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Steve Robinson leaving Howie?

I haven't heard anything about that.

They were advertising an Associate Producer job, I think last week. Yesterday Steve announced Brandon "Goldie" had been hired, three minutes after he walked in the door. Newly graduated polisci major from Holy Cross who grew up in Vermont. Steve said as a growing business, they need to add bench strength. In addition, they had Sheriff Hodgson trying out guest hosting for an hour.

With Howie announcing that he's selling his house, and with a political cycle starting up later in the year, I wouldn't be surprised if Howie's planning to take some vacation days this summer. With Steve and Grace typically handling the show when he's out (I'm guessing Taylor fills in ad-hoc), if one of them is out, they're very much shorthanded.

That said, there hasn't been much notice in the past when someone's left the show (e.g. Sandy).

I tuned in to the video stream yesterday briefly in the LDR and Steve was hosting, I take it Howie’s been out all week?

Selling his house and moving operations to Florida a-la Rush sounds like a smart move given the tax situation in MA vs FL, and the fact Howie’s getting up there in years.

I missed the 6:00 hour, but pulling up the Friday show on Twitter, Steve announced that he's leaving for a new opportunity. He said on the show his last day is July 5th. Sounds like Taylor may be taking over as producer?

Last edited:
I was on vacation last week but tried to listen to part of the stream--it sounded like he may have been off on Mon then again Friday, that one for a Talkers dot com conference or something. Thanks for the news.

When Howie put his self syndicated show together in late 2014, he got Robinson out of Maine and Grace Curley (I think her father has a cupcake company--he nicknamed her Cupcake and her dad "Abu-Cupcake". Abu as in "father of.."?

Nance Shack Morrison aka Sandy left about a year or so later with no fanfare ("she's gone to another station", Howie said when asked about her). There was nothing really mentioned on air about her leaving at the time. Howie's "flagship" from Nov of '14 to March of '15
was WMEX but when WRKO found its PMD ratings slipped, they welcomed Howie back aboard (I say flagship station but WRKO is really an affiliate, just the Boston-based one, so maybe the "flagship" in a way).

"Sandy Shack Show" went to WMEX (by then Howie was back at RKO) but ended when the Renegade guys let the station go dark in June of 2017 (Ed Perry bought it in Dec of that year)

I missed the 6:00 hour, but pulling up the Friday show on Twitter, Steve announced that he's leaving for a new opportunity. He said on the show his last day is July 5th. Sounds like Taylor may be taking over as producer?

I wonder if Steve is getting his own show somewhere?

I was surprised that Howie gave no mention of "Sandy" leaving...she was there one day and poof, gone, no mention until IIRC a caller asked about her maybe weeks later and there was just that casual, ho hum response, "she's gone to another station"....I listened to "Sandy" when she was on WMEX.....she used to mention Howie here and there and in a positive light, Howie just brushed her off, see ya, yeah, she's gone to another station, he could have said, she was with me for years, she was a good producer I wish her luck, nope, just a big fat pfffffft.

I did hear last hr via Facebook post.Steve says he will announce his new job soon.He was emotional as he thanked all he worked with--HC and Kathy Carr, Grace, Sandy and VB, sponsors, listeners.Steve had investigated welfare fraud in Maine, contacted Howie and was offered a job.

I hadn't heard how the lawsuit went re: Jared Goodell who was part of the Howie network but later sued them.

I was surprised that Howie gave no mention of "Sandy" leaving...she was there one day and poof, gone, no mention until IIRC a caller asked about her maybe weeks later and there was just that casual, ho hum response, "she's gone to another station"....I listened to "Sandy" when she was on WMEX.....she used to mention Howie here and there and in a positive light, Howie just brushed her off, see ya, yeah, she's gone to another station, he could have said, she was with me for years, she was a good producer I wish her luck, nope, just a big fat pfffffft.

It isn't uncommon not to mention people have left, especially if they are leaving to somewhere that may be considered a competitor. And even more especially if they are not leaving on exactly the best of terms.

Did you ever find out what happened to Howie's wife last week?

I wonder if Steve is getting his own show somewhere?

- I recollect Steve having Minihane as a guest on the Howie Carr Show.
- Steve's announcement is tomorrow on the Minifan show.
- Minihane tweeted that he has two important announcements tomorrow.

A guess? Steve going to Barstool with for Minihane's new thing?

on Twitter:

AnD
@AnDvMnEcT
Replying to
@bostonradio
Confirmed he's already signed on to be Kirk's producer at Barstool. @AnDvMnEcT had it first.
-----
Don't know what happened to Kathy Carr but Steve said in his thanks to her she's gone through great adversity over the years.

It isn't uncommon not to mention people have left, especially if they are leaving to somewhere that may be considered a competitor. And even more especially if they are not leaving on exactly the best of terms.

Did you ever find out what happened to Howie's wife last week?

Maybe Howie finally told her to shut the hell up! I don't remember how long ago it has been now, but....she called into his show one day and just yammered on and on and on about Howie having a guest on the show who would be a big help to one of their daughters and Howie IIRC didn't mention that the guest was going to be on the show so she was pissed...."the lovely Mrs. Carr" called into the show and just ripped him from one end to another....after all was said and done Howie took a bunch of calls and the comments weren't very flattering....someone asked if "the lovely Mrs. Carr" knew she was on the air and and Howie said oh yeah, she knew...he pretty much begged people not to be nasty because he was the one who would get punished when he got home. I've looked for the audio to no avail, it was quite embarrassing for Howie. We know who wears the pants in that family...so perhaps "the lovely Mrs. Carr" couldn't get her way on something?

1. Nancy "aka Sandy" Shack" is a very well respected broadcaster who joined RKO during the stations golden years in the mid eighties. She was never given an opportunity to host her program at RKO or with Howie so she left for an on air position at 1510. She now serves as Dan Rea's Executive Producer and basically co-hosts NightSide with Rea each weeknight.
2. I used to listen to Carr on a regular basis. For about the last 10 years, I would tune in a few times a year. I could not stand Robinson's smug, we are so much better than you attitude.
3. In other news former RKO morning show hostand Ch. 7 Anchor Kim Carrigan has joined WBZ Radio as a freelance Anchor/Reporter

1. Nancy "aka Sandy" Shack" is a very well respected broadcaster who joined RKO during the stations golden years in the mid eighties. She was never given an opportunity to host her program at RKO or with Howie so she left for an on air position at 1510. She now serves as Dan Rea's Executive Producer and basically co-hosts NightSide with Rea each weeknight.
2. I used to listen to Carr on a regular basis. For about the last 10 years, I would tune in a few times a year. I could not stand Robinson's smug, we are so much better than you attitude.
3. In other news former RKO morning show hostand Ch. 7 Anchor Kim Carrigan has joined WBZ Radio as a freelance Anchor/Reporter

A poster on the iHeart site for WBZ was surprised that Nancy Shack was co-hosting with Dan Rea. Well, la-di-da, most male talk show hosts who have female producers pretty much share the air space with them; to wit, Kuhner and Brittany, VB and Lightning, Howie and Grace. It's not a big deal, and it gives the show's host someone to interact with between calls.

Steve Robinson seem to be an intelligent, knowledgeable guy. If what I read is true, then what a waste of brain going over to some sports podcast.

Kim landed at WBZ? That's terrific. I'll be listening for her.

I might add that Shari Small of WBZ has proven to be an excellent reporter and has even grown nicely into the anchor position she does on weekends.

Leave it to howie to attempt to monetize the departure of a staff member...

Howie monetizes EVERYTHING......his birthday party, grace's birthday party, now steve's departure....he also charges big $$$$ to be in studio on a Tuesday while he does the show.....$150.00 each - PLUS an $8.50 "fee" - doesn't say what the "fee" is for.......the "experience" is sold out til the middle of August....he does give you autographed books, selfies with him and grace and steve, a meal which AFAIK is provided free to the show from The Kowloon perhaps in exchange for advertising....I think he started doing Thursday's now as well and the meal is provided by Butcher Box.

https://howiecarr.ticketleap.com/howie-carr-vip-experience/dates

Yes...about "Sandy"....that's why I don't understand why Howie just ignored her leaving....didn't say a peep until a caller questioned her whereabouts and then it was just a casual, 'yeah, she left for another station, pffffft'.....she used to mention him while she was on WMEX, always said nice things about him....I would think he would have been happy for her getting her own show and would have at least let his listeners know how much work she did for him, how much he liked her, wished her luck.....her show wasn't in competition time wise with his....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom