Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Robinson leaving Howie?

Steve Robinson leaving Howie?

Anyone heard anything about Steve Robinson leaving the Howie Carr Radio Network?

I haven't heard anything about that.

They were advertising an Associate Producer job, I think last week. Yesterday Steve announced Brandon "Goldie" had been hired, three minutes after he walked in the door. Newly graduated polisci major from Holy Cross who grew up in Vermont. Steve said as a growing business, they need to add bench strength. In addition, they had Sheriff Hodgson trying out guest hosting for an hour.

With Howie announcing that he's selling his house, and with a political cycle starting up later in the year, I wouldn't be surprised if Howie's planning to take some vacation days this summer. With Steve and Grace typically handling the show when he's out (I'm guessing Taylor fills in ad-hoc), if one of them is out, they're very much shorthanded.

That said, there hasn't been much notice in the past when someone's left the show (e.g. Sandy).

I tuned in to the video stream yesterday briefly in the LDR and Steve was hosting, I take it Howie’s been out all week?

Selling his house and moving operations to Florida a-la Rush sounds like a smart move given the tax situation in MA vs FL, and the fact Howie’s getting up there in years.
    I'm not a broadcast radio industry professional (PG/DB by day, HA by night), but, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express one evening. Now working FT8 on 20/40/80m!

I missed the 6:00 hour, but pulling up the Friday show on Twitter, Steve announced that he's leaving for a new opportunity. He said on the show his last day is July 5th. Sounds like Taylor may be taking over as producer?
    Last edited by rocket21; 06-09-2019 at 05:47 AM.

I was on vacation last week but tried to listen to part of the stream--it sounded like he may have been off on Mon then again Friday, that one for a Talkers dot com conference or something. Thanks for the news.

When Howie put his self syndicated show together in late 2014, he got Robinson out of Maine and Grace Curley (I think her father has a cupcake company--he nicknamed her Cupcake and her dad "Abu-Cupcake". Abu as in "father of.."?

Nance Shack Morrison aka Sandy left about a year or so later with no fanfare ("she's gone to another station", Howie said when asked about her). There was nothing really mentioned on air about her leaving at the time. Howie's "flagship" from Nov of '14 to March of '15
    was WMEX but when WRKO found its PMD ratings slipped, they welcomed Howie back aboard (I say flagship station but WRKO is really an affiliate, just the Boston-based one, so maybe the "flagship" in a way).

"Sandy Shack Show" went to WMEX (by then Howie was back at RKO) but ended when the Renegade guys let the station go dark in June of 2017 (Ed Perry bought it in Dec of that year)

Quote Originally Posted by rocket21 View Post
    I missed the 6:00 hour, but pulling up the Friday show on Twitter, Steve announced that he's leaving for a new opportunity. He said on the show his last day is July 5th. Sounds like Taylor may be taking over as producer?

I wonder if Steve is getting his own show somewhere?

I was surprised that Howie gave no mention of "Sandy" leaving...she was there one day and poof, gone, no mention until IIRC a caller asked about her maybe weeks later and there was just that casual, ho hum response, "she's gone to another station"....I listened to "Sandy" when she was on WMEX.....she used to mention Howie here and there and in a positive light, Howie just brushed her off, see ya, yeah, she's gone to another station, he could have said, she was with me for years, she was a good producer I wish her luck, nope, just a big fat pfffffft.

I did hear last hr via Facebook post.Steve says he will announce his new job soon.He was emotional as he thanked all he worked with--HC and Kathy Carr, Grace, Sandy and VB, sponsors, listeners.Steve had investigated welfare fraud in Maine, contacted Howie and was offered a job.

I hadn't heard how the lawsuit went re: Jared Goodell who was part of the Howie network but later sued them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tired Of It All View Post
    I was surprised that Howie gave no mention of "Sandy" leaving...she was there one day and poof, gone, no mention until IIRC a caller asked about her maybe weeks later and there was just that casual, ho hum response, "she's gone to another station"....I listened to "Sandy" when she was on WMEX.....she used to mention Howie here and there and in a positive light, Howie just brushed her off, see ya, yeah, she's gone to another station, he could have said, she was with me for years, she was a good producer I wish her luck, nope, just a big fat pfffffft.
    It isn't uncommon not to mention people have left, especially if they are leaving to somewhere that may be considered a competitor. And even more especially if they are not leaving on exactly the best of terms.

Did you ever find out what happened to Howie's wife last week?
    I'm not a broadcast radio industry professional (PG/DB by day, HA by night), but, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express one evening. Now working FT8 on 20/40/80m!

Quote Originally Posted by Tired Of It All View Post
    I wonder if Steve is getting his own show somewhere?
    - I recollect Steve having Minihane as a guest on the Howie Carr Show.
    - Steve's announcement is tomorrow on the Minifan show.
    - Minihane tweeted that he has two important announcements tomorrow.

A guess? Steve going to Barstool with for Minihane's new thing?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast