Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: WPLJ says farewell New York. Any thoughts on final day/shows?

Quote Originally Posted by johnbasalla View Post
    I've read that on the final day of commercial WPLJ broadcasting, that the DJs played some curious songs. Can someone please give me examples.
    John Lennon's "Imagine," which among other things imagines a world without religion (and implies that that would be a good thing, because then there would be "nothing to kill or die for."), is the only one I can think of.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I know that market number 1 doesn't only include NYC proper however I can tell you that "most" people in NYC proper are not interested in christian and country music to name a few. I have lived in this city most of my life. To say otherwise isn't reality.
    In a city of 8.3 million it is obvious you will find some who will be attracted to any type of format but you said "most" and unless our definitions of the word "most" are different I can securely say that "most" New Yorkers are not interested in Christian music.
    Again, "most" applies to any genre of music. "Most" people don't like CHR. Most people don't like AC. Most people don't like Hip-Hop.

The New York City MSA (Metro Survey Area) has 19 million people in it. It's not just the City and the boroughs.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

They need, and want, listeners, otherwise they wouldn't be accomplishing their #1 initiative, and that is to spread the Good News through song and also obtain many more donations as the positive message inspires people to support the program.

They need, and want, listeners, otherwise they wouldn't be accomplishing their #1 initiative, and that is to spread the Good News through song and also obtain many more donations as the positive message inspires people to support the program.
    That's why they're using this type of music. Otherwise they'd simply do what religious stations used to do, which was mainly talk.

The music conveys the message.

I was hoping for something more interesting than "Imagine", as that is, figuratively speaking, the only John Lennon solo song we're likely to hear on large and major market "oldies" stations. It is only curious because its message is diametrically (sp?) opposed to what the new owners, EMF shares.

The music conveys the message ... and does so in a listener friendly way. A song lasts 3 or 4 minutes. Many people listen to radio in short spurts. How many people are going to, and want to, listen to a half hour sermon on the radio?

I was hoping for something more interesting than "Imagine", as that is, figuratively speaking, the only John Lennon solo song we're likely to hear on large and major market "oldies" stations. It is only curious because its message is diametrically (sp?) opposed to what the new owners, EMF shares.
    I thought that's what you were looking for -- songs that were subtle jabs at the incoming format. I think another thread on PLJ's last day may have included the last hour's playlist, which I believe was standard Hot AC (except for the Lennon oldie). I don't know if the rock jocks brought back to reminisce earlier in the day were allowed to spin a bit of classic rock from the old PLJ or not.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8oldies View Post
    There certainly are evangelical Christian churches in New York and suburbs, and as mentioned above many people have migrated in from other parts of the country. The new WPLJ will have an audience.
    And yet, this mistake is made again.

While the brains and motivation behind Contemporary Christian Music are evangelical Christian movements, the format and the music appeals beyond that. Tampa has a moderately successful CCM station, WBVM (Spirit 90.5) , which is operated by the local Catholic diocese (St. Petersburg). WBVM's call letters are an abbreviation for "Blessed Voice of Mary" - hardly an evangelical name for any organization.

Orlando has yet another successful CCM station, WPOZ (Z88.3), which promises music that, aside from religious, is free from obscenity. For a long while, it used positioning tags such as "Positive Hits" and "Safe For The Little Ears" - which was a dig at other Orlando stations playing current hits with questionable/overtly sexual content.

Tampa and Orlando are no longer small-ish "bible belt" markets. They're quite large and feature a significant transplant population from the Catholic Northeast and Anglo-Saxon Protestant Upper Midwest.

My point here being is the format does and will appeal to people who aren't very evangelical and/or religious, or even Christian, for that matter. The music is poppy enough to feel like it's mainstream and the content of the lyrics won't embarrass you if someone overhears you listening in your car.

Quote Originally Posted by NewsStud View Post

My point here being is the format does and will appeal to people who aren't very evangelical and/or religious, or even Christian, for that matter. The music is poppy enough to feel like it's mainstream and the content of the lyrics won't embarrass you if someone overhears you listening in your car.

That's the point. Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down...in a most delightful way.

Or you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

It's not the format, it's the sterile nature of the satellite on a local station. I know a CCM station that was built by a Bible College and did very well. They had lots of listeners and some really fine people on the air working with the community. That's history, the Bible College sold to EMF and the staff is mostly gone. Still gets ratings, people still enjoy the music but the sense of community that the station had with a staff of local people is gone, but who cares right?

What happens when there is an unexpected medium to major event that happens in NYC? Will there be a staff of people in NYC to break in with updates, or will it just be business as usual?

Since there has been so much talk about John Lennon and "Imagine" let me add this. I remember the night John Lennon was shot, I had no idea what happened. I tuned up and down the FM radio dial where I lived, stations were playing Beatles records, even stations that normally didn't play the Beatles, like the Classical/Jazz station for example. I knew something was going on..... I doubt EMF would ever do anything like that.

Flame on kiddies, you know you want to.
    Out of the money demo...all the way out!

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast