Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 154

Thread: WPLJ says farewell New York. Any thoughts on final day/shows?

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    I'm not sure what they could have done differently other than completely abandon the Hot AC format and go after the rhythmic audience. I thought there was an opportunity for a station to replace Kiss in 2012. That really didn't happen. But other than completely blowing the station up, there weren't many other alternatives. So now the station has been blown up.
    They couldnt have replaced kiss if they tried your saying that they could have got on air talent as good as the talent on wrks like michael baisden bob slade jeff foxx mike shannon no way in hell. Plus WBLS is basically kiss fm so competition wouldn’t have really mattered probably.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by kidrauhl View Post
    They couldnt have replaced kiss if they tried your saying that they could have got on air talent as good as the talent on wrks like michael baisden bob slade jeff foxx mike shannon no way in hell.
    Since they were all let go when Kiss changed formats, it wouldn't have been that hard.

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Since they were all let go when Kiss changed formats, it wouldn't have been that hard.
    Actually WBLS retained some of them im pretty sure.

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by AceBiscuits View Post
    From what I've seen, that's about right. Unless you have a station who has call letters in their name (e.g. WCBS-FM, WFAN, WKTU), no one will identify the station as that.
    Do you know if wendy wild is still on the NEW KTU?

  5. #35
    Its called )103.5 the new ktu wktu new york universal motown incorporated.

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by kidrauhl View Post
    Actually WBLS retained some of them im pretty sure.
    Baisden was gone, because BLS had Steve Harvey. Jeff Foxx went to weekends. I think that's it.

    Mike Shannon works for Cumulus now. So does Tom Joyner and DL Hughley. Don't you think those people could have made a good NYC radio station?

  7. #37
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    38,842
    Quote Originally Posted by kidrauhl View Post
    So if k love and emf are all about helping people why didnt they offer to retain the wplj staffs jobs? That is evil in itself and dont say because it costs too much because klove in syndicated out of california and klove/ emf pays no taxes so maby you should consider that before assuming just because emf is christian based they can do no evil.
    The EMF formats are not "syndicated". They run on the company's own stations.

    As a non-commercial station, WPLJ does not need salespersons, traffic, continuity or local bookkeeping. They don't need a PD or a General Manager or local DJs. They need local engineering and event and marketing staff. There were very few "old" WPLJ staff members who would fit the new operation.

    This sort of thing has been happening with changes in format for the last seven decades in radio; "the new staff is at the hotel and will bring the music and the jingles in an hour". Jokes abound about radio people having U-Haul frequent move points.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  8. #38
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    38,842
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post

    Mike Shannon works for Cumulus now. So does Tom Joyner and DL Hughley. Don't you think those people could have made a good NYC radio station?
    And there is also the possibility of moving in between WBLS and WQHT by appealing more heavily to Hispanics who love rhythmic music but might like a station that was specifically targeted towards them.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by kidrauhl View Post
    So if k love and emf are all about helping people why didnt they offer to retain the wplj staffs jobs? That is evil in itself and dont say because it costs too much because klove in syndicated out of california and klove/ emf pays no taxes so maby you should consider that before assuming just because emf is christian based they can do no evil.
    EMF isn't "about" "helping people." EMF is a religious mission of spreading a message. While EMF surely believes the message itself is helpful to people, it's still a business with a model that has no need for the vast number of employees once employed by Cumulus. They're not beholden to keep people on the payroll, especially when they never actually employed them to begin with! It is childish to think or demand otherwise.

    As for not paying taxes, they legally exist as a non-profit operation which is eligible to not pay taxes. Countless entities such as this exist in the U.S. You seem to have to problem with EMF's religious mission.

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by kidrauhl View Post
    Its called )103.5 the new ktu wktu new york universal motown incorporated.
    What’s your point?

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

     
Useful Contacts
Community


123