• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WPLJ says farewell New York. Any thoughts on final day/shows?

Kevtronics, I'm an atheist very involved in the secular community. But sadly, BigA is right. People aren't into bible thumping sermons anymore, but they do like ultra-safe barely religious "rock" so soccer moms can play something safe in the SUV while picking up Emily from the soccer game.

K-Love isn't trying to win souls. They just wanna make money, and have found a market. While K-Love makes my stomach churn, I give them credit where it's due.

K-Love isn't trying to win souls. They just wanna make money, and have found a market. While K-Love makes my stomach churn, I give them credit where it's due.

EMF never said they were trying to "win souls" as they do not proselytize. They are trying to add a dimension to a Christian lifestyle that includes the radio entertainment format, a concert series and other off-air activities.

They also have a team of ministers on call for any of the listeners who have a problem or personal crisis they want to discuss with a Christian adviser, and are expanding this service as they add more stations.

It appears that they have an immediate goal of reaching 100% of the population with K-love, even as far off as Puerto Rico. Once they complete that it's likely they will expand Air-1 as well. And then they will do more in the areas of counseling, concerts and local events.

It takes money to do all that. But fundraising is not their purpose... putting the money raised to work is.

Last edited:
I think they're trying to do both, but do it with honey rather than vinegar.

A little more honey on the subject of K-Love would be smart advice on this board. I have never seen a self anointed "religious person/Christian" discussing their hatred of the "devil's music of that there rock n roll" on these boards. No one cares what any one else's "beliefs" are on this board. I don't care for K-Love's music or nationwide presentation. But not based upon my spiritual beliefs. The business is a sound, legit and successful legal entity. There is a lot to learn from it, whether any of us like it or not.

EMF never said they were trying to "win souls" as they do not proselytize. They are trying to add a dimension to a Christian lifestyle that includes the radio entertainment format, a concert series and other off-air activities.

They also have a team of ministers on call for any of the listeners who have a problem or personal crisis they want to discuss with a Christian adviser, and are expanding this service as they add more stations.

It appears that they have an immediate goal of reaching 100% of the population with K-love, even as far off as Puerto Rico. Once they complete that it's likely they will expand Air-1 as well. And then they will do more in the areas of counseling, concerts and local events.

It takes money to do all that. But fundraising is not their purpose... putting the money raised to work is.

I think we should end the religious discussion for this topic I appreciate everyone’s input on religious issues but honestly and i talked to frank about this I didnt start this forum to be focused on k love or religion so I will say I dont like how k love tries to force their religious music and programs on people especially children whos parents have that station on in the car and stuff but honestly id like to end the religious discussion on this forum just focus on plj and its hosts/ legacy thanks everybody.

I think we should end the religious discussion for this topic I appreciate everyone’s input on religious issues but honestly and i talked to frank about this I didnt start this forum to be focused on k love or religion so I will say I dont like how k love tries to force their religious music and programs on people especially children whos parents have that station on in the car and stuff but honestly id like to end the religious discussion on this forum just focus on plj and its hosts/ legacy thanks everybody.

The topic for discussion is not religion but the change of format from a commercial radio station with a secular format to a non-profit stations with a religiously themed format.

One of the topics that generally comes up in discussing religious radio... and enterprises in general... is the tax exempt nature of these groups. For some, it may seem that they are being subsidized by their tax dollars.

The radio issue, though, is whether K-love adds diversity to the market greater than that of a low rated Hot AC, which was not even a unique format.

So, you want to say how you feel, but aren’t open to hearing other views that don’t necessarily align with yours. Got it. Maybe you should set up a personal website or blog, rather than post on a discussion board.

...And considering that "High Hopes" has been a huge #1 hit across multiple radio formats, there is no shortage of secular music with a "positive vibe".

While it is true that there are many secular songs with a "positive vibe", that does not change the fact that you can't guarantee that you're not going to hear something untoward on a Hot AC or CHR, or other secular formats. You can be guaranteed that on a format like K-Love offers, you are not going to hear something that "burns your ears".

While it is true that there are many secular songs with a "positive vibe", that does not change the fact that you can't guarantee that you're not going to hear something untoward on a Hot AC or CHR, or other secular formats. You can be guaranteed that on a format like K-Love offers, you are not going to hear something that "burns your ears".
Haven't people been saying the same thing ever since Elvis... or even earlier? After all, wasn't Jazz in the 1920s supposed to be the Devil's music? Now it is a cherished form of American art and culture.

I do agree that a lot of modern pop music burns your ears, but not because of sexual/vulgar lyrics -- rather because of talentless Auto-Tuned vocals, the Millennial whoop, vapid one-chord melodies, and Loudness War-ruined audio quality.

And Christian pop music is imitating all of this. They just add more reverb to the vocals to make it sound like they're singing in church.

I thought that's what you were looking for -- songs that were subtle jabs at the incoming format. I think another thread on PLJ's last day may have included the last hour's playlist, which I believe was standard Hot AC (except for the Lennon oldie). I don't know if the rock jocks brought back to reminisce earlier in the day were allowed to spin a bit of classic rock from the old PLJ or not.

I was hoping for something more interesting than "Imagine", as that is, figuratively speaking, the only John Lennon solo song we're likely to hear on large and major market "oldies" stations. It is only curious because its message is diametrically (sp?) opposed to what the new owners, EMF shares.

From the "PLJ Sold" thread, playlist of the last hours of WPLJ's Hot AC format on Friday 5/31/2019:

https://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?715312-PLJ-SOLD&p=6259245&viewfull=1#post6259245

by user "GEDA1990":

Playlist of the last four hours of WPLJ Friday 5/31/2019 (source : https://onlineradiobox.com/us/wplj/playlist/1)

11:59 - Huey Lewis & The News - Hip to Be Square
12:09 - Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody
12:22 - Cheap Trick - I Want You to Want Me
12:38 - Jonas Brothers - Sucker
12:44 - Lionel Richie - All Night Long
12:55 - Donny Osmond - Solider Of Love
13:10 - Marshmello Feat Bastille - Happier
13:29 - Backstreet Boys - Everybody (Backstreet's Back)
13:40 - MKTO - Classic
13:44 - Cynthia & Johnny O - Dreamboy/Dreamgirl
13:59 - Five for Fighting - Superman
14:03 - The Romantics - What I Like About You
14:06 - Ellie Goulding, Diplo & Swae Lee - Close To Me
14:25 - Frank Sinatra - New York, New York
14:30 - Goo Goo Dolls - Better Days
14:34 - Fountains of Wayne - Stacy's Mom
14:38 - Maroon 5 feat Christina Aguilera - Moves Like Jagger
14:42 - Panic! at the Disco - High Hopes
14:45 - Europe - The Final Countdown
15:00 - Bon Jovi - Never Say Goodbye
15:05 - Rob Thomas - One Less Day (Dying Young)
15:13 - Huey Lewis & The News - Doing It All for My Baby
15:19 - Dave Matthews Band - Crash into Me
15:26 - Bruce Springsteen - Glory Days
15:32 - Bob Seger - Old Time Rock 'n Roll
15:36 - Del Amitri - Roll To Me
15:49 - John Lennon - Imagine*
15:55 - Hall & Oates - W-P-L-J*

*Don't appear on the Onlineradiobox's website

On Thursday 5/30/2019 ("Reunion Day"), there were a few "wild cards" thrown in, such as during the 2 PM hour when the former "New York's Best Rock" jocks visited.
Led Zeppelin's "Stairway To Heaven" made an appearance on Thursday evening.

On the previous weekend PLJ paid tribute to their musical history by featuring 3 songs per hour from each of the years of their existence (1971-2019).

PJC 1961 wrote: "On the previous weekend PLJ paid tribute to their musical history by featuring 3 songs per hour from each of the years of their existence (1971-2019)." ... On Thursday 5/30/2019 ("Reunion Day"), there were a few "wild cards" thrown in...

THANK YOU. Now we're talking. If you can remember, or ascertain, specific songs aired on "Reunion Day", and particularly on the previous weekend, that would be very cool. The most interesting would probably be the songs played that were there between 1971-1979, and 1980-1990.

But people are gravitating away from religion, no matter how much you try to spin Jesus Rock as "positive and encouraging" -- the fastest-growing religion in the U.S. is "none of the above". And considering that "High Hopes" has been a huge #1 hit across multiple radio formats, there is no shortage of secular music with a "positive vibe".
Something tells me this isn't the Sinatra song which I like.

So, you want to say how you feel, but aren’t open to hearing other views that don’t necessarily align with yours. Got it. Maybe you should set up a personal website or blog, rather than post on a discussion board.

You know this website means a lot to me and you dont have to be rude towards people like that ok. All i was saying is that id prefer if people dont argue over religion on this forum.

You know this website means a lot to me and you dont have to be rude towards people like that ok. All i was saying is that id prefer if people dont argue over religion on this forum.

Nobody is being rude. The point is that you made your opinions on religion and religious radio clear. That’s cool, but it’s reasonable to conclude that others will do the same. The opinions of other may differ from yours.

Nobody is being rude. The point is that you made your opinions on religion and religious radio clear. That’s cool, but it’s reasonable to conclude that others will do the same. The opinions of other may differ from yours.

No when somebody being rude i will call them out on it and that person was being rude I dont care if you dont think they were but im not going to tolerate it on my forums.

When you tell someone that they should get off a website because they asked people not to argue about religion that is being rude.

When you tell someone that they should get off a website because they asked people not to argue about religion that is being rude.

No. What happened is that you felt free to provide multiple lengthy posts espousing your views on religion. When it became clear that not everyone’s views precisely aligned with yours, you attempted to shut down the conversation. Since you are clearly not tolerant of points of view that differ from your own, I simply suggested that you find a medium that allow you express yourself in a way that doesn’t allow other people to weigh in. Message boards like this exist so that people with multiple viewpoints can converse.

Now that I know that this is YOUR forum, maybe you could add a questionnaire upon registration making membership contingent upon agreement with your philosophical views. Just a thought.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom