Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 154

Thread: WPLJ says farewell New York. Any thoughts on final day/shows?

  1. #121
    Kevtronics, I'm an atheist very involved in the secular community. But sadly, BigA is right. People aren't into bible thumping sermons anymore, but they do like ultra-safe barely religious "rock" so soccer moms can play something safe in the SUV while picking up Emily from the soccer game.

    K-Love isn't trying to win souls. They just wanna make money, and have found a market. While K-Love makes my stomach churn, I give them credit where it's due.
    Host on Rowan Radio 89.7 WGLS-FM

    Radio DX'er- using Grundig Sat. 750, Tecsun PL-880

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by radiodx10 View Post
    K-Love isn't trying to win souls. They just wanna make money
    I think they're trying to do both, but do it with honey rather than vinegar.

  3. #123
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    38,873
    Quote Originally Posted by radiodx10 View Post

    K-Love isn't trying to win souls. They just wanna make money, and have found a market. While K-Love makes my stomach churn, I give them credit where it's due.
    EMF never said they were trying to "win souls" as they do not proselytize. They are trying to add a dimension to a Christian lifestyle that includes the radio entertainment format, a concert series and other off-air activities.

    They also have a team of ministers on call for any of the listeners who have a problem or personal crisis they want to discuss with a Christian adviser, and are expanding this service as they add more stations.

    It appears that they have an immediate goal of reaching 100% of the population with K-love, even as far off as Puerto Rico. Once they complete that it's likely they will expand Air-1 as well. And then they will do more in the areas of counseling, concerts and local events.

    It takes money to do all that. But fundraising is not their purpose... putting the money raised to work is.
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 06-17-2019 at 06:19 PM.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  4. #124
    Art Vuolo, Radio's Best Friend, recorded the WPLJ Farewell Party at the Cutting Room on May 21, 2019. He has offered a 12-minute sample on Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw5RsCtXbEE . I am certain that a full-length version willing be coming soon on DVD.

  5. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    I think they're trying to do both, but do it with honey rather than vinegar.
    A little more honey on the subject of K-Love would be smart advice on this board. I have never seen a self anointed "religious person/Christian" discussing their hatred of the "devil's music of that there rock n roll" on these boards. No one cares what any one else's "beliefs" are on this board. I don't care for K-Love's music or nationwide presentation. But not based upon my spiritual beliefs. The business is a sound, legit and successful legal entity. There is a lot to learn from it, whether any of us like it or not.

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post


    EMF never said they were trying to "win souls" as they do not proselytize. They are trying to add a dimension to a Christian lifestyle that includes the radio entertainment format, a concert series and other off-air activities.

    They also have a team of ministers on call for any of the listeners who have a problem or personal crisis they want to discuss with a Christian adviser, and are expanding this service as they add more stations.

    It appears that they have an immediate goal of reaching 100% of the population with K-love, even as far off as Puerto Rico. Once they complete that it's likely they will expand Air-1 as well. And then they will do more in the areas of counseling, concerts and local events.

    It takes money to do all that. But fundraising is not their purpose... putting the money raised to work is.
    I think we should end the religious discussion for this topic I appreciate everyone’s input on religious issues but honestly and i talked to frank about this I didnt start this forum to be focused on k love or religion so I will say I dont like how k love tries to force their religious music and programs on people especially children whos parents have that station on in the car and stuff but honestly id like to end the religious discussion on this forum just focus on plj and its hosts/ legacy thanks everybody.

  7. #127
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    38,873
    Quote Originally Posted by kidrauhl View Post
    I think we should end the religious discussion for this topic I appreciate everyone’s input on religious issues but honestly and i talked to frank about this I didnt start this forum to be focused on k love or religion so I will say I dont like how k love tries to force their religious music and programs on people especially children whos parents have that station on in the car and stuff but honestly id like to end the religious discussion on this forum just focus on plj and its hosts/ legacy thanks everybody.
    The topic for discussion is not religion but the change of format from a commercial radio station with a secular format to a non-profit stations with a religiously themed format.

    One of the topics that generally comes up in discussing religious radio... and enterprises in general... is the tax exempt nature of these groups. For some, it may seem that they are being subsidized by their tax dollars.

    The radio issue, though, is whether K-love adds diversity to the market greater than that of a low rated Hot AC, which was not even a unique format.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  8. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by kidrauhl View Post
    I think we should end the religious discussion for this topic I appreciate everyone’s input on religious issues but honestly and i talked to frank about this I didnt start this forum to be focused on k love or religion so I will say I dont like how k love tries to force their religious music and programs on people especially children whos parents have that station on in the car and stuff but honestly id like to end the religious discussion on this forum just focus on plj and its hosts/ legacy thanks everybody.
    So, you want to say how you feel, but aren’t open to hearing other views that don’t necessarily align with yours. Got it. Maybe you should set up a personal website or blog, rather than post on a discussion board.

  9. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by kevtronics View Post
    ...And considering that "High Hopes" has been a huge #1 hit across multiple radio formats, there is no shortage of secular music with a "positive vibe".
    While it is true that there are many secular songs with a "positive vibe", that does not change the fact that you can't guarantee that you're not going to hear something untoward on a Hot AC or CHR, or other secular formats. You can be guaranteed that on a format like K-Love offers, you are not going to hear something that "burns your ears".

  10. #130
    [QUOTE=kidrauhl;6262089] I will say I don't like how K-Love tries to force their religious music and programs on people especially children whose parents have that station on in the car...

    No radio station can force their music, or anything else, on people. People choose to listen.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

     
Useful Contacts
Community


123