Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: WPLJ says farewell New York. Any thoughts on final day/shows?

Ok, here's a thought, with the understanding, this scenario, is completely in my head only:

EMF drops the WPLJ calls completely and 104.3 picks them up.

Quote Originally Posted by badjef View Post
    Ok, here's a thought, with the understanding, this scenario, is completely in my head only:

I think Q104.3 has better calls for a rock station.

WPLJ could easily mean "We praise Lord Jesus" and K-Love could use that.

Q is an established brand in New York, not to mention one of the highest rated classic rock stations in the country.

WPLJ’s identity as a rock station only has relevance to people 55+. Those folks are of little interest to advertisers. It spent more time as a Hot AC than a rock station, and an underperforming one at that. Other than an “oh wow” nostalgia moment for a few people, the “brand” isn’t worth all that much. If it was worth anything, Cumulus would have retained the intellectual property.

Why would a Top 10 station rebrand itself as a much lower rated station? Might as well rename Cadillac as a Yugo.

If the call letters had any value, they would not have been bundled with the frequency.

For example, Cumulus kept the WRQX call letters when it sold the station to EMF.

not gonna happen - even on the last day of WPLJ, we were listening to remember the legacy, and NOT the station that it had become (at least I was). If Q104 is smart, they will keep their call letters and not even BOTHER with 'PLJ's!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post

For example, Cumulus kept the WRQX call letters when it sold the station to EMF.
    Great call letters for a rock station, but wouldn't most broadcasting companies these days just brand the new station X-105 or Z-98.5 or Rock 96, anyway? I thought millennials (and even Gen Y) remembered radio stations by branding and dial position, not call letters.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    Great call letters for a rock station, but wouldn't most broadcasting companies these days just brand the new station X-105 or Z-98.5 or Rock 96, anyway? I thought millennials (and even Gen Y) remembered radio stations by branding and dial position, not call letters.
    I'm sure they would. WRQX for many years was known as Q-107.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    I thought millennials (and even Gen Y) remembered radio stations by branding and dial position, not call letters.
    From what I've seen, that's about right. Unless you have a station who has call letters in their name (e.g. WCBS-FM, WFAN, WKTU), no one will identify the station as that.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

You posted this same text elsewhere. Please do not make multiple posts with the same content.
    Oh I apologize for that. I just think its stupid klove hase two frequencies in the same market and took over 40 peoples jobs.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast