• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WPLJ says farewell New York. Any thoughts on final day/shows?

Although I disagree with that in terms plj could have been successful in the new york market without flipping formats and that k love is a good choice for the market, I appreciate your clarifications and opinions on this and you are obviously very smart on radio issues, Id be interested in learning more about your radio background

I'm a 60-year career broadcaster, with much of my work focused on international and ethnic markets.

http://www.davidgleason.com

Wow that’s quite the resume you have I really apologize for any arguments I have had with you just out of respect for all you have done for radio.

There is no harm in arguing a point. We often lean to change or modify our views from discussing a point with another person who sees things from a different perspective.

I heard stacys mom by fountains of wayne back in time by huey lewis a Cher lloyd song i forget which one they played britney spears song The final countdown also I think was one of the final songs they played.

Thank you, kidrauhl. I don't live anywhere near the market, so have little knowledge of WPLJ. Sounds "Eh...ok...nothing great, nothing bad" to me except for the logical use of "The Final Countdown" near the absolute end. Also of note, "Stacy's mom" might very well be one of the new listeners to the new K-Love WPLJ.

Thank you, kidrauhl. I don't live anywhere near the market, so have little knowledge of WPLJ. Sounds "Eh...ok...nothing great, nothing bad" to me except for the logical use of "The Final Countdown" near the absolute end. Also of note, "Stacy's mom" might very well be one of the new listeners to the new K-Love WPLJ.

it would depend on whether "Stacy's mom" believes in God :)

Wow that’s quite the resume you have I really apologize for any arguments I have had with you just out of respect for all you have done for radio.

Welcome to THE REAL reason radio discussions ROCKS! This is a pretty amazing group of good folks, who, no matter what - care and really mean no harm. I learn a ton on here. Plus, I have not found the pizza discussions board to be as lively.

Plus, I have not found the pizza discussions board to be as lively.

... except when that one guy starts in on anchovies!

Welcome to THE REAL reason radio discussions ROCKS! This is a pretty amazing group of good folks, who, no matter what - care and really mean no harm. I learn a ton on here. Plus, I have not found the pizza discussions board to be as lively.

I appreciate that and I think most of us on here have the common interest of appreciation for radio and its preservation even though we may disagree on some things.

I appreciate that and I think most of us on here have the common interest of appreciation for radio and its preservation even though we may disagree on some things.

That’s the thing. There are things that will be missed about the “good old days” but I believe that in order to stay relevant, radio needs to evolve, not be preserved. It’s not a museum. It’s a living, breathing medium.

That’s the thing. There are things that will be missed about the “good old days” but I believe that in order to stay relevant, radio needs to evolve, not be preserved. It’s not a museum. It’s a living, breathing medium.

Well I mean preserved in the sense of archiving radio broadcasts and airchecks and stuff like that.

Cool, a Cleveland Boy, What Part of Cleveland were you rised, My family lived a think in Parma

Opposite side. I was just over a mile from the original WSRS AM&FM site at Cedar and Lee. When they became WJMO and WCUY I became a gofer and a part timer.

I left as soon as I could, in '63, for Latin America.

I can see Race Taylor going to 103.5 KTU to do mornings or Todd going there.

well....since the morning show DOES have an opening.....HOWEVER....I can't see Race or Todd taking over - BUT....if I were a programmer, I would pick Race over Todd - Todd may be a bit too dominating for Carolina....

well....since the morning show DOES have an opening.....HOWEVER....I can't see Race or Todd taking over - BUT....if I were a programmer, I would pick Race over Todd - Todd may be a bit too dominating for Carolina....

Why dont they just bring the whole crew from the plj morning show to wktu mornings and get rid of ktus current morning show hosts.

Why dont they just bring the whole crew from the plj morning show to wktu mornings and get rid of ktus current morning show hosts.

Because the KTU morning show was outperforming WPLJ in all the core target demos.

it would depend on whether "Stacy's mom" believes in God :)

Not necessarily. People can gravitate to K-Love, and other Christian-based music formats, because of they know they won't have to worry about their children hearing something bad. Additionally, the positive vibe is welcome relief to some.

Not necessarily. People can gravitate to K-Love, and other Christian-based music formats, because of they know they won't have to worry about their children hearing something bad. Additionally, the positive vibe is welcome relief to some.
But people are gravitating away from religion, no matter how much you try to spin Jesus Rock as "positive and encouraging" -- the fastest-growing religion in the U.S. is "none of the above". And considering that "High Hopes" has been a huge #1 hit across multiple radio formats, there is no shortage of secular music with a "positive vibe".

But people are gravitating away from religion

You're talking about organized religion. Formal, go to church on Sunday religion, as opposed to what people believe. Two very different things.

The thing about the K-Love format is there's no preaching. People don't want to be sold religion. They just want some nice music.

But people are gravitating away from religion, no matter how much you try to spin Jesus Rock as "positive and encouraging" -- the fastest-growing religion in the U.S. is "none of the above". And considering that "High Hopes" has been a huge #1 hit across multiple radio formats, there is no shortage of secular music with a "positive vibe".

While I'm personally not a fan, EMF's financial statements say otherwise...
http://www.klove.com/uploadedFiles/K-LOVE_New/Content/About/EMF-FS-Final2017.pdf

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom