• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WPLJ says farewell New York. Any thoughts on final day/shows?

Syfy

Star Participant
Was interested in getting radio discussions users opinions on the last Todd and Jayde show and race taylors send off. I got a chance to listen to most of the last days shows and I think it was a good send off as good as WRKS in 2012 in my opinion. Also Bill Ayers last show didn’t get a chance to hear it but assume it was good. I also think they could have fit better selection of songs on the last day but that is what it is. Also on the tunein app wplj apparently just disappeared on my app and others who had the station saved in their favourites on tunein wplj either deleted their page or tunein got rid of it. Did anyone else notice wplj just being gone on their tunein app after the station went to k love? Kind of sad because they had show replays and some on demand content on their tunein page so that is too bad.

I listened to a good bit of the reunion day, as well as listening in for the last 2 hours up until K-Love broke the silence.

I think Race did a great job with the send-off and the reunion day. I hope he resurfaces somewhere in NY.

The song choices were... interesting, but management really did let the DJs do whatever they wanted with the send off. It was also nice to hear the remaining airstaff get the opportunity to say goodbye.

I didn't listen to Todd & Jayde's final show, but I did listen to when Todd came in during Scott Shannon's portion of the reunion. He seemed like he could have cared less, and to me it sounded a little uncomfortable between him, Scott, and a few other people on at the time (I noticed that Patty was notably absent during Todd's appearance, though I'm not going to speculate or read into that further. It was, if anything, funny to hear Scott, Patty, and the rest of the crew plugging CBS-FM.

It was also nice to hear the rock jocks back on PLJ. Of course, the majority of them are now at Q104.3, but it was nice to hear them reflect on the rock-era.

Overall, the send off/sign off was well done.

Did you happen to catch Bill Ayers last show? I think he did the community access type show on weekends.

I think that the community access show are mandatory to do at least once a week on radio still? I could be wrong though.

All the WPLJ listeners need to petition the FCC Against The Misuse of Commercial FM Broadcast space. K Love is an Educational broadcaster. That should be broadcasting on the non commercial portion of the band from 88 to 91 MHz. 95.5 is designated as Commercial broadcasting space.

I think that the community access show are mandatory to do at least once a week on radio still? I could be wrong though.

"Community Access" is not an FCC accepted definition. Stations are required to include some programming that addresses community issues and needs, but this can be a national program which deals with a relevant subject at the local level.

You will find what EMF has promised in the WPLJ online public file at the FCC website.

All the WPLJ listeners need to petition the FCC Against The Misuse of Commercial FM Broadcast space. K Love is an Educational broadcaster. That should be broadcasting on the non commercial portion of the band from 88 to 91 MHz. 95.5 is designated as Commercial broadcasting space.

You posted this same text elsewhere. Please do not make multiple posts with the same content.

Non-commercial use of a commercial channel is perfectly legal. There are many such stations on the commercial portion of the FM band.

PLenty of non-comms on the commercial channels, including major NPR affiliates like WFIU, Bloomington, Indiana. All you have to do is notify the FCC, then if . it's ever returned to commercial operation, notify them again.

I know of many non-commercial radio stations, that broadcast in the commercial band. (Especially in Alabama!) Now if they were broadcasting in the wrong place, don't you think the FCC would've took action already?

Dan <><

Last edited:
Ok, here's a thought, with the understanding, this scenario, is completely in my head only:

EMF drops the WPLJ calls completely and 104.3 picks them up.

Ok, here's a thought, with the understanding, this scenario, is completely in my head only:

I think Q104.3 has better calls for a rock station.

WPLJ could easily mean "We praise Lord Jesus" and K-Love could use that.

WPLJ’s identity as a rock station only has relevance to people 55+. Those folks are of little interest to advertisers. It spent more time as a Hot AC than a rock station, and an underperforming one at that. Other than an “oh wow” nostalgia moment for a few people, the “brand” isn’t worth all that much. If it was worth anything, Cumulus would have retained the intellectual property.

Why would a Top 10 station rebrand itself as a much lower rated station? Might as well rename Cadillac as a Yugo.

If the call letters had any value, they would not have been bundled with the frequency.

For example, Cumulus kept the WRQX call letters when it sold the station to EMF.

not gonna happen - even on the last day of WPLJ, we were listening to remember the legacy, and NOT the station that it had become (at least I was). If Q104 is smart, they will keep their call letters and not even BOTHER with 'PLJ's!

For example, Cumulus kept the WRQX call letters when it sold the station to EMF.

Great call letters for a rock station, but wouldn't most broadcasting companies these days just brand the new station X-105 or Z-98.5 or Rock 96, anyway? I thought millennials (and even Gen Y) remembered radio stations by branding and dial position, not call letters.

Great call letters for a rock station, but wouldn't most broadcasting companies these days just brand the new station X-105 or Z-98.5 or Rock 96, anyway? I thought millennials (and even Gen Y) remembered radio stations by branding and dial position, not call letters.

I'm sure they would. WRQX for many years was known as Q-107.

I thought millennials (and even Gen Y) remembered radio stations by branding and dial position, not call letters.

From what I've seen, that's about right. Unless you have a station who has call letters in their name (e.g. WCBS-FM, WFAN, WKTU), no one will identify the station as that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom