Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: WPLJ says farewell New York. Any thoughts on final day/shows?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Really? Christian rock? This isn't Texas.
    How long did it take you think up that brilliant comment? Just because it's not YOUR thing, doesn't mean it won't "bill" more than the formats you think are so great. I am not a fan either, but it's still a business and it's a legal and legit business.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibbs4 View Post
    How long did it take you think up that brilliant comment? Just because it's not YOUR thing, doesn't mean it won't "bill" more than the formats you think are so great. I am not a fan either, but it's still a business and it's a legal and legit business.
    I mean Jeffrey is kind of right though most people in nyc aren’t interested in christian music and boring religious talk shows and gospel readings in my opinion.

You both may be right, kidrauhl. I may have taken that out of context, as to people in Texas would fall for listening more than New Yorkers. Sorry, if that's the case, Jeffrey. If a mere one or two percent of the listening audience in New York City IS interested, then there are probably more listeners there than any of their other markets combined. And, that one or two percent may well send in more money than their next 20 stations. EMF does not just buy anything, anywhere. They have done their homework. David is great with numbers, but my guess is that even a minute fraction of potential listeners in NYC still out number listeners at a lot of the top stations we discuss on these boards.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kidrauhl View Post
    I mean Jeffrey is kind of right though most people in nyc aren’t interested in christian music and boring religious talk shows and gospel readings in my opinion.
    Name any genre of music. "Most" people are not interested in it. Music tastes are very fragmented based on age, culture, ethnicity, exposure and a variety of other things.

K-Love, however, does not have daily talk shows and lengthy gospel readings, other than little "tidbits" inserted in the music based programming. It's a music station with extremely good formatics and a clean, contemporary presentation and lots of promotions and events that appeal to the target audience.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

Name any genre of music. "Most" people are not interested in it. Music tastes are very fragmented based on age, culture, ethnicity, exposure and a variety of other things.

K-Love, however, does not have daily talk shows and lengthy gospel readings, other than little "tidbits" inserted in the music based programming. It's a music station with extremely good formatics and a clean, contemporary presentation and lots of promotions and events that appeal to the target audience.
    But dont they have like weekly or monthly syndicated telethons to raise money?

Quote Originally Posted by kidrauhl View Post
    But dont they have like weekly or monthly syndicated telethons to raise money?
    There is nothing "syndicated" on K-love. They produce the programming in-house. The format originates in their own facilities at the headquarters in Rocklin and a studio in Indianapolis.

They do major fund-raising drives twice a year and constantly encourage listeners to become regular donors.
    Last edited by DavidEduardo; 06-13-2019 at 03:39 AM.
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

(First of all, I can't believe that this thread has gone to SEVEN pages already) - but secondly....it's amazing to me that this thread, originally started as a "WPLJ Farewell New York" thread, has basically turned into "well, let's come against K-Love" - shame, shame - when it comes to ANY radio station, I learned this a LONG, LONG time ago - if you DON'T like what's on the radio - TURN IT OFF OR CHANGE THE STATION!

(full disclosure here: I DO listen to K-Love )

Quote Originally Posted by andreajesus View Post
    I learned this a LONG, LONG time ago - if you DON'T like what's on the radio - TURN IT OFF OR CHANGE THE STATION!
    Nobody has said this better and with an economy of words!

(First of all, I can't believe that this thread has gone to SEVEN pages already) - but secondly....it's amazing to me that this thread, originally started as a "WPLJ Farewell New York" thread, has basically turned into "well, let's come against K-Love" - shame, shame - when it comes to ANY radio station, I learned this a LONG, LONG time ago - if you DON'T like what's on the radio - TURN IT OFF OR CHANGE THE STATION!

(full disclosure here: I DO listen to K-Love )
    Many of these militant "Christians" did exactly the opposite for years. They don't like something, so they threaten to boycott advertisers. They didn't simply turn off the radio. They tried to force changes.

Many former Radio listeners have moved on due to banal content, Right Wing Crazy Talk, bland repetitive music, etc...

What a great opinion. I don't get what's with this board but lately, as soon as something pro-Christian is discussed the thread derails to a bunch of people with hateful and baseless comments.
    To be quite honest, K-Love has never been my cup of tea - I prefer Radio U which I listen online, but having K-Love in NYC is a much welcome option among all the stations playing Katy Perry or Lady Gaga.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast