• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WPLJ says farewell New York. Any thoughts on final day/shows?

Really? Christian rock? This isn't Texas.

How long did it take you think up that brilliant comment? Just because it's not YOUR thing, doesn't mean it won't "bill" more than the formats you think are so great. I am not a fan either, but it's still a business and it's a legal and legit business.

How long did it take you think up that brilliant comment? Just because it's not YOUR thing, doesn't mean it won't "bill" more than the formats you think are so great. I am not a fan either, but it's still a business and it's a legal and legit business.

I mean Jeffrey is kind of right though most people in nyc aren’t interested in christian music and boring religious talk shows and gospel readings in my opinion.

You both may be right, kidrauhl. I may have taken that out of context, as to people in Texas would fall for listening more than New Yorkers. Sorry, if that's the case, Jeffrey. If a mere one or two percent of the listening audience in New York City IS interested, then there are probably more listeners there than any of their other markets combined. And, that one or two percent may well send in more money than their next 20 stations. EMF does not just buy anything, anywhere. They have done their homework. David is great with numbers, but my guess is that even a minute fraction of potential listeners in NYC still out number listeners at a lot of the top stations we discuss on these boards.

I mean Jeffrey is kind of right though most people in nyc aren’t interested in christian music and boring religious talk shows and gospel readings in my opinion.

Name any genre of music. "Most" people are not interested in it. Music tastes are very fragmented based on age, culture, ethnicity, exposure and a variety of other things.

K-Love, however, does not have daily talk shows and lengthy gospel readings, other than little "tidbits" inserted in the music based programming. It's a music station with extremely good formatics and a clean, contemporary presentation and lots of promotions and events that appeal to the target audience.

Name any genre of music. "Most" people are not interested in it. Music tastes are very fragmented based on age, culture, ethnicity, exposure and a variety of other things.

K-Love, however, does not have daily talk shows and lengthy gospel readings, other than little "tidbits" inserted in the music based programming. It's a music station with extremely good formatics and a clean, contemporary presentation and lots of promotions and events that appeal to the target audience.

But dont they have like weekly or monthly syndicated telethons to raise money?

But dont they have like weekly or monthly syndicated telethons to raise money?

There is nothing "syndicated" on K-love. They produce the programming in-house. The format originates in their own facilities at the headquarters in Rocklin and a studio in Indianapolis.

They do major fund-raising drives twice a year and constantly encourage listeners to become regular donors.

Last edited:
(First of all, I can't believe that this thread has gone to SEVEN pages already) - but secondly....it's amazing to me that this thread, originally started as a "WPLJ Farewell New York" thread, has basically turned into "well, let's come against K-Love" - shame, shame - when it comes to ANY radio station, I learned this a LONG, LONG time ago - if you DON'T like what's on the radio - TURN IT OFF OR CHANGE THE STATION!

(full disclosure here: I DO listen to K-Love :D )

I learned this a LONG, LONG time ago - if you DON'T like what's on the radio - TURN IT OFF OR CHANGE THE STATION!

Nobody has said this better and with an economy of words!

(First of all, I can't believe that this thread has gone to SEVEN pages already) - but secondly....it's amazing to me that this thread, originally started as a "WPLJ Farewell New York" thread, has basically turned into "well, let's come against K-Love" - shame, shame - when it comes to ANY radio station, I learned this a LONG, LONG time ago - if you DON'T like what's on the radio - TURN IT OFF OR CHANGE THE STATION!

(full disclosure here: I DO listen to K-Love :D )

Many of these militant "Christians" did exactly the opposite for years. They don't like something, so they threaten to boycott advertisers. They didn't simply turn off the radio. They tried to force changes.

Many former Radio listeners have moved on due to banal content, Right Wing Crazy Talk, bland repetitive music, etc...

What a great opinion. I don't get what's with this board but lately, as soon as something pro-Christian is discussed the thread derails to a bunch of people with hateful and baseless comments.
To be quite honest, K-Love has never been my cup of tea - I prefer Radio U which I listen online, but having K-Love in NYC is a much welcome option among all the stations playing Katy Perry or Lady Gaga.

K-Love is Christian AC. Air-1 is Christian pop/rock.

As an example, the LA station has now been on the air a number of months, and even though it is prohibited from advertising the K-love brand in the market, it has a cume of about a half million in the Southland. Not a bad start in a place one would think it would not do so well.

Oh, and take a look at how the Pillar of Fire station does down in its Middlesex/Ocean market... as high as a 4 share in one recent book.

there is quite a different demographic and mentality in Middlesex/Ocean country, New Jersey

I know that market number 1 doesn't only include NYC proper however I can tell you that "most" people in NYC proper are not interested in christian and country music to name a few. I have lived in this city most of my life. To say otherwise isn't reality.
In a city of 8.3 million it is obvious you will find some who will be attracted to any type of format but you said "most" and unless our definitions of the word "most" are different I can securely say that "most" New Yorkers are not interested in Christian music.

Last edited:
Does is matter if anyone listens to 95.5 in NYC? Seems like the donations brought in by the rest of the EMF stations will be enough to support whatever license fees there may be and keep a healthy amount of electricity going to the 95.5 transmitter. So do they really need listeners in NYC? If so why?

So do they really need listeners in NYC? If so why?

Think of this in terms of your church. Does it matter if people go to church? Or is it important that the church exists, and the preacher gives his sermon. Does the preacher not preach because of the number of people in the church? Or does he do the same thing he'd do if the church was full? The job of the preacher is to go forth and spread the word.

There certainly are evangelical Christian churches in New York and suburbs, and as mentioned above many people have migrated in from other parts of the country. The new WPLJ will have an audience.

Invariably, whenever and wherever EMF is mentioned, a snitstorm follows. Why? The matter in New York is settled: WPLJ is now in the hands of Educational Media Foundation. There was no Dr. Jesse Werner to intervene. Let’s move on.

Think of this in terms of your church. Does it matter if people go to church? Or is it important that the church exists, and the preacher gives his sermon. Does the preacher not preach because of the number of people in the church? Or does he do the same thing he'd do if the church was full? The job of the preacher is to go forth and spread the word.

Yeah, it does matter:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Closed_churches_in_New_York_City
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/07/...atholic-churches-may-soon-be-up-for-sale.html
https://therealdeal.com/issues_articles/altared-sites/

These are just partial listings and don't include the associated schools -which have been closing by the half-dozen. In fact, the only superstition seeing an increase in this city, albeit small, is Islam.

Years of scandals and payout combined with a better educated populace have led to this.

Still, there are probably enough people willing to give to these characters that they'll at least cover the near fifty grand per month ESB access.

LCG

Still, there are probably enough people willing to give to these characters that they'll at least cover the near fifty grand per month ESB access.

Based on population and the performance of the format in comparable markets, I'd guess that they get donations in the vicinity of around $7 million to $9 million based on the WPLJ coverage.

Music on the last day of WPLJ

I've read that on the final day of commercial WPLJ broadcasting, that the DJs played some curious songs. Can someone please give me examples.

Does is matter if anyone listens to 95.5 in NYC? Seems like the donations brought in by the rest of the EMF stations will be enough to support whatever license fees there may be and keep a healthy amount of electricity going to the 95.5 transmitter. So do they really need listeners in NYC? If so why?

Well, the idea that WPLJ will have no listening audience is a bit dramatic.

Just look at the performance of the Pillar of Fire station, which is essentially a NYC rimshot. In the Monmouth/Ocean market, it has achieved as high as a 4 share in 12+ in very recent years.

Even considering the lesser appeal of the format in areas of the metro that are highly ethnic, there is no reason to expect that the station won't contribute millions to the donations EMF receives.

And EMF seems to be looking for the longer term... they bought a full Super B in Puerto RIco (Where B's are 50,000 watts at 1000 feet) where English is not the primary language of essentially all the population. I think we can say that the objective of getting donations is not an end but a means to further spreading the word.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom