• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How to determine "Aud" of a song and tune-out?

How do they do that and how do they determine this? For example, on a sample station, the Aud for "Sucker" by Jonas Brothers is 0.61, while for "Out of Love" by Alessia Cara is 0.08. How do they determine what that number is and how do they figure tune-out for a song?

How do they do that and how do they determine this? For example, on a sample station, the Aud for "Sucker" by Jonas Brothers is 0.61, while for "Out of Love" by Alessia Cara is 0.08. How do they determine what that number is and how do they figure tune-out for a song?

I've always thought that "AUD" is the abbreviation for the Australian dollar. I do not know what the "aud" of a song is, so could you explain what it is and in what context those numbers you give are representative of?

I've always thought that "AUD" is the abbreviation for the Australian dollar. I do not know what the "aud" of a song is, so could you explain what it is and in what context those numbers you give are representative of?

I'm going to assume he means the "Audience" total in Mediabase for a certain song. In Mediabase, it's listed in Millions... so if a song has an "Aud" of 0.61, then it was heard by approximately 610,000 people for the week. (Of course, with people tuned in multiple times over a week for periods of time, I'll also assume that the 610,000 includes many people who heard it multiple times.)

Based off of ratings numbers across dayparts, I believe Mediabase takes how many times a song was played in each daypart, and how many people on average listen in that daypart. Add it all up, and you have a general "Audience" total.

Of course I could be COMPLETELY wrong. But that's how I've interpreted it.

I'm going to assume he means the "Audience" total in Mediabase for a certain song. In Mediabase, it's listed in Millions... so if a song has an "Aud" of 0.61, then it was heard by approximately 610,000 people for the week. (Of course, with people tuned in multiple times over a week for periods of time, I'll also assume that the 610,000 includes many people who heard it multiple times.)

Based off of ratings numbers across dayparts, I believe Mediabase takes how many times a song was played in each daypart, and how many people on average listen in that daypart. Add it all up, and you have a general "Audience" total.

Of course I could be COMPLETELY wrong. But that's how I've interpreted it.

Gotcha. I never saw the column headers as names, always "seeing" "Audience" where the term was abbreviated.

The Mediabase numbers are not ratings. They are exposure figures for each song, and as you mention, include lots of repeat exposures by the same person. They don't even indicate, as far as radio plays go, whether the song is liked or not. Just that it was played to the audience of a certain number of stations; they then add up the AQH audience of the station for each daypart to determine the total exposure.

I think the OP is thinking about PPM radio ratings, where stations that are subscribed can also purchase additional services that give very granular data on the tune out for songs (or commercials) and which data is sometimes used by radio to help identify songs that are negative or should be played less. But because those numbers don't indicate the reason for tune out, and also don't indicate the cause for tune-in, they are of marginal value.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom