• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Old Town Road

The period from the mid-'70s through the mid-'90s saw the very definition of country music broaden to the point that you could hear records with strong bluegrass, honky tonk, folk, pop and rock influences being played on the same stations, along with the cheatin' and drinkin' songs traditionally associated with Nashville country music.

Its my view that things haven't changed a bit since then, with the addition of rhythmic hip-hop (or hick-hop) to the repertoire.

Keep in mind that today's country artists grew up on 80s & 90s country, so they see the genre from that perspective.

Correct on all counts, although Rabbitt did have a few country-only hits that had a bit of twang to them -- fiddles and steel, to be precise.
Eddie Rabbitt didn't sound country either for the most part, but I liked him. "Drivin' My Life Away" would be an exception. "Suspicion" is definitely not country but it makes a good smooth jazz song.

It was on the second ballot for the CMA Awards in the category of Vocal Event. Final nominees will be announced this Wednesday.

Foreigner had something similar happen. "Waiting for a Girl Like You" spent nine weeks at #2. Never made it to #1. Who were they waiting for? Olivia Newton-John's "Physical", which spent ten weeks at #1. Then Hall & Oates' "I Can't Go for That" replaced "Physical" and Foreigner remained at #2.

Look at this video and tell me what that instrument is on the right side of the stage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p_kHbhQgLg

One of the comments below said "This is America." I think they hit that one right on the head.

When I first heard this record (actually, it was the YT vid) I heard a few nu-metal chords on a guitar, with a country singer and then a rapper dude pulling it all off really well. I don't think he (or the vid) are making fun of country, as opposed to adapting it. Back to the comment that YT viewer left... this is America....

I just heard it on the Rose Parade. I actually liked the part with Billy Ray but I can't get past the "music" which plays behind Lil Nas X. I might not have had a problem with Lil Nas X but that just ruins the entire song. You can have any style of music backing up rap, but in this case they chose rap.

Holy cow. Is that what I think it is?

It's that weird monotone electronica thing by Billie Eilish. She's getting a big bump from her domination of the Grammys. I gave a few of her songs a listen via YouTube just to find out what she was all about. I don't pretend to understand what she's trying to do, but the overall sound certainly grabs your attention.

It's that weird monotone electronica thing by Billie Eilish. She's getting a big bump from her domination of the Grammys. I gave a few of her songs a listen via YouTube just to find out what she was all about. I don't pretend to understand what she's trying to do, but the overall sound certainly grabs your attention.
She performed on the American Music Awards which I finally got around to watching. I didn't care for her but the instrumentals on her song I actually sort of liked.

"Old Town Road" was nominated for at least one award but didn't win. I haven't seen the whole show yet.

This could be the beginning of the change that we've been awaiting for the last 30 years or "Be careful what you wish for."!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom