• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KDEY 93.5 Ontario ca

e-dawg

Star Participant
Just out of curiosity. Is KDEY 93.5 in Ontario CA. Does it ownership cap counts to Los Angeles market or riverside market or both? Could Meruelo media add one more fm after they purchase kxos 93.9 and KLOS 95.5 or are they cap out for that market?

KDEY is licensed to Ontario but the city of license can be some distance from the transmitter and still be OK with the FCC. The transmitter is in Rancho Cucamonga. While its power is 5,000 watts, the tower is actually minus 130 feet in height above average terrain. But that still gives it good coverage of Riverside and San Bernardino, as well as those mid-point suburbs between LA and Riverside, such as Ontario, Pomona and West Covina.

KDAY is licensed to Redondo Beach but its transmitter is in a good spot, just north of Inglewood, in Baldwin Hills, at the Kenneth Hahn Recreation Area. If you have to deal with two Class A signals to form a single radio station in the Los Angeles market, this isn't bad. (Info from Radio-Locator.com)

Many on this board are speculating that Meruelo will move its Classic Hip Hop format to KXOS and put something else on KDAY and KDEY. What it might be, I really can't speculate... or will Meruelo leave both stations as they are? Regional Mexican on KXOS, Classic Hip Hop on KDAY/KDEY.

Just out of curiosity. Is KDEY 93.5 in Ontario CA. Does it ownership cap counts to Los Angeles market or riverside market or both? Could Meruelo media add one more fm after they purchase kxos 93.9 and KLOS 95.5 or are they cap out for that market?

We'd have to ask an expert like Scott Fybush for a qualified opinion... but:

the FCC market caps are technically based on the Nielsen market definitions. The Community of License of KDEY is not in the LA Nielsen market, and Ontario is not in a rated market.

The 70 dbu of KDEY essentially does not cover any of the LA market (just a couple of square miles are inside the LA County lines). The 60dbu does not cover even 5% of the LA market area.

KDEY is licensed to Ontario but the city of license can be some distance from the transmitter and still be OK with the FCC. The transmitter is in Rancho Cucamonga. While its power is 5,000 watts, the tower is actually minus 130 feet in height above average terrain. But that still gives it good coverage of Riverside and San Bernardino, as well as those mid-point suburbs between LA and Riverside, such as Ontario, Pomona and West Covina.

About 60% of the 60 dbu coverage area of KDEY is in the non-rated area of Fontana-Ontario-Rialto-Rancho Cucamonga that is not part of any rated market. Most of the rest is in the NW tip of Riverside County with the remainder in the SW part of San Bernardino County. Only a tiny bit gets into LA county, and that is in the area where the two signals tend to bother each other.

The reason the antenna is at a negative elevation is that it is on the foothills of the tall mountains, and the radials behind the tower are averaged with the ones in front of it, giving a negative. In fact, the site is well above the floor of the area it tries to serve... but it is still a Class A.

I've heard you say this before but it always amazes me David. Fontana, Ontario, Rialto and Rancho Cucamonga are big population communities clearly in the sphere of Los Angeles. I'm sure their residents consider themselves part of the Los Angeles Metropolitan area. Many probably commute to jobs in LA.

If the far eastern end of Long Island is part of the New York market, as is Ocean County NJ, all well beyond NYC's FM signals, why are these four California communities not in any market at all? They all hear the LA FM stations and a good amount of the AMs. Maybe I-15 should be the dividing line? West of it, Rancho Cucamonga and Ontario should be in the LA market. East of it, Rialto and Fontana should be in the Riverside Market.

Ontario has 164,000 population, Rancho Cucamonga is 177,000. Too big to ignore.

I've heard you say this before but it always amazes me David. Fontana, Ontario, Rialto and Rancho Cucamonga are big population communities clearly in the sphere of Los Angeles. I'm sure their residents consider themselves part of the Los Angeles Metropolitan area. Many probably commute to jobs in LA.

If the far eastern end of Long Island is part of the New York market, as is Ocean County NJ, all well beyond NYC's FM signals, why are these four California communities not in any market at all? They all hear the LA FM stations and a good amount of the AMs. Maybe I-15 should be the dividing line? West of it, Rancho Cucamonga and Ontario should be in the LA market. East of it, Rialto and Fontana should be in the Riverside Market.

Ontario has 164,000 population, Rancho Cucamonga is 177,000. Too big to ignore.

The entire unmeasured area in that chunk of the IE is about 1,000,000 people. Most would consider themselves to live in the Inland Empire, not in LA. Just as many in the Pomona /Covinas are consider themselves to live in the San Gabriel Valley and not, heaven forbid, in LA. For that matter, when I lived in Glendale, I would be very specific were anyone to say I lived in LA... gawd no, I was in Glendale.

Long ago there was an effort to combine the IE with LA, and it went to a vote of subscribers. The LA stations did not want their share or rating (most importantly) to be diminished by dilution in an area where the local IE stations took a big share. The IE stations, which covered nearly none of the LA market, did not want to be driven to the bottom of the rankers by all the LA stations.

And the LA (with one or two exceptions) and IE AM stations did not like the idea as nearly none of them covered the other part of the area.

The solution would have been to make the IE and embedded market in the LA book. But that was not voted on by the subscribers.

The area in between does not, apparently, have the needed listening levels to automatically be added to either market... where a percentage of listening as well as commute patterns have to be at a certain level. Neither market's subscribers want it, as either way they would look bad for sales.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom