Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WPLJ and WNSH HD subchannel shuffle

WPLJ and WNSH HD subchannel shuffle

Forgive me if these changes were already in place prior to the PLJ flip. I haven't checked these HD subchannels in a while.

EMF's WPLJ-HD2 now carries The Bridge (WRDR/Freehold Township, NJ), feeding a number of translators in the area. That's the only HD radio subchannel on 95.5 now.

WPLJ had previously been carrying Russian-language Russkaya Reklama on its HD2, and 'FAS-FM on its HD3. 'FAS was being fed to translator W232AL-FM in Westchester county as a poor replacement for WFAS-FM after Cumulus moved the real WFAS-FM to the Bronx and flipped it to Urban AC as WNBM. Cumulus dropped 'FAS from both the HD subchannel and the translator on May 1, I believe. I don't know when they dropped the Russian HD subchannel.

The Bridge was previously carried on WNSH-HD4 but WNSH now has no HD subchannels. However it is still broadcasting the main channel in HD as WNSH-HD1.
    Last edited by Theater of My Mind; 06-01-2019 at 01:00 AM.

The Russian programming was abruptly dropped at 7:00 PM.

Currently WABC 770 has no FM HD signal? It's not on 94.7. 95.5 is no longer in the Cumulus cluster. Would it make any sense to put it on 103.9, the other FM that Cumulus owns.

Has WNSH moved to its new tower location yet? Perhaps when it does, it will also have WABC on an HD subchannel.

94.7 is also no longer operated by Cumulus, due to its pending sale to Entercom and LMA until the FCC approves the sale. So I do not expect 770 WABC will pick up an HD2/HD3 simulcast.
    "Its music what makes a radio station, and at Live FM, we play the last music around."
    After receiving that copy, I quit the VO industry.

The sale already closed a few weeks ago.
    It is unlikely that WNSH has already moved to its new tower location, as that was only approved last month. It should boost their ratings, as it is expected to improved their signal in Long Island.

I’m sure it will take some time to get done. The new FM antenna is being mounted on an AM tower, which requires some engineering. Also, things need to be coordinated with WMAS-FM’s related downgrade. The CP for that was also issued in mid-May.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg. View Post
    Currently WABC 770 has no FM HD signal? It's not on 94.7. 95.5 is no longer in the Cumulus cluster. Would it make any sense to put it on 103.9, the other FM that Cumulus owns.
    I don't think 103.9 is broadcasting in HD. At least I can't lock into any HD from them and I'm not all that far away. Anyway, that's a pretty small signal and the HD footprint would be even smaller, mostly covering the Bronx I assume. Not exactly a hotbed of potential conservative talk listeners.

It seems strange to me that Cumulus has hung onto this little station. I can understand them keeping WABC just to clear their syndicated talk programming in New York but I don't understand the business model of them keeping WNBM.

It would be great they flip WNBM to a classic hiphop station. Right in the target demo. That would be better than a copy/paste station like WBLS what it is now.

WNSH is being mounted on one of WORs towers correct. I was always told many years ago, most of the local FM signals were out in the meadows using their AM co owned towers. It was discovered that the signals could not penetrate the Manhattan skyline effectively even though these signals were all close to 50kw. This resulted in all of them moving either to the Empire or the WTC, so why would they want to move WNSH to that very location utilizing under 50kw at 40kw.

Quote Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
    so why would they want to move WNSH to that very location utilizing under 50kw at 40kw.
    Because that's as far east as they can go without interfering with a station on LI.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast