• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Klove 96.7

No it's not a private house. It's a very nice, new office building in a commercial part of White Plains.

Should I post pictures for you to see?

They don't own the building, so no it's not off the tax rolls.

So there are two parts of your post that are clearly false.

Shall I continue?

Please do.

What neither of us will know is what rent -if any is paid by that operation. The term "preferential rent' is often applied to charitable orgs. The landlord offers a low (in some cases no) rent and the difference is deducted from his taxes. That is how things like thrift shops and some cultural organizations survive in places such as NYC.

BTW: zeroing in on 29,000 posts? A true "man of leisure".

LCG

BTW: zeroing in on 29,000 posts? A true "man of leisure".

Jealous?

They pay rent. The rest of your post is from your imagination. You have no facts at all about how much rent they pay, to whom they pay that rent, or anything else.

I've blown your lie that their office is in someone's tax free house. It's not. This is a very successful company. Not some mom & pop non profit.

Please spare us the fairy tales mother goose.

Please do.

What neither of us will know is what rent -if any is paid by that operation. The term "preferential rent' is often applied to charitable orgs. The landlord offers a low (in some cases no) rent and the difference is deducted from his taxes. That is how things like thrift shops and some cultural organizations survive in places such as NYC.

A property owner who gives a lower rate to a non-profit is simply doing it to benefit the community. Not earning income is not tax-deductible.

If I give a client a special rate I can't deduct the difference between my top of the card rate and the special rate. Foregone income is not deductible.

Or if I give a 100 spot schedule to a charity auction, I can't deduct its value as it is an intangible and there is no cost of goods sold for a few minutes of airtime where I would be broadcasting anyway, sold or not.

A store or manufacturer that gives a product to a charity has no deduction; the cost of the item, overhead in storing and shipping it, labor in making or displaying it, are all already deductible as are all business expenses. The only cost to the business is the loss of a potential profit on a sale of the same item. But there is no tax on lost opportunities.

On the other had, if I own shopping centers, I know that Goodwill will bring traffic, pay on time and be a long-term tenant.

Last edited:
Please read this article: http://www.klove.com/uploadedFiles/K-LOVE_New/Content/Home/Tiles/KLOVE-MikeNovak-RadioInc.pdf

EMF estimates that 5 to 6 percent of its 20 million person weekly cume is donating an average of $40 per month. This article was written before PLJ and other high-profile FM stations were added to the network.

By my quick calculatiuons, that's about $80,000,000 per month in revenue -- just in monthly support from listeners. But I'm sure the official number is published on EMF's financial reports, which are 100% available to the public because of their transparency.

Many successful business people, athletes and celebrities are big fans of CCM. Major record labels and booking agencies represent CCM artists. It would be a shame to fall a blind eye at how respectable this market is.

A property owner who gives a lower rate to a non-profit is simply doing it to benefit the community. Not earning income is not tax-deductible.

If I give a client a special rate I can't deduct the difference between my top of the card rate and the special rate. Foregone income is not deductible.

Or if I give a 100 spot schedule to a charity auction, I can't deduct its value as it is an intangible and there is no cost of goods sold for a few minutes of airtime where I would be broadcasting anyway, sold or not.

A store or manufacturer that gives a product to a charity has no deduction; the cost of the item, overhead in storing and shipping it, labor in making or displaying it, are all already deductible as are all business expenses. The only cost to the business is the loss of a potential profit on a sale of the same item. But there is no tax on lost opportunities.

On the other had, if I own shopping centers, I know that Goodwill will bring traffic, pay on time and be a long-term tenant.

Outright deduction is not allowed by IRS or the city. that is not how it is done.

When a space in a commercial facility is unpaid for the lower overall income reduces the tax on the corp the owns the building. This ties directly into a growing problem here in NYC. As retail declines an increasing number of stores are staying vacant as landlords hold out for high rents. Some reopen briefly for seasonal pop-ups and charity events (art shows and various sales). The city is looking at limiting the length of time these deductions can be taken so as to incentivize owner to take a lower rent.

Whatever arrangement emf has, or doesn't have regarding office space, we'll probably never know.

LCG

Jealous?

They pay rent. The rest of your post is from your imagination. You have no facts at all about how much rent they pay, to whom they pay that rent, or anything else.

I've blown your lie that their office is in someone's tax free house. It's not. This is a very successful company. Not some mom & pop non profit.

Please spare us the fairy tales mother goose.

You haven't blown anything but smoke.

Where is YOUR proof?

For extra credit please provide that picture of their offices you offered.

You turn up on every topic on this forum and several other sites as well.

You really need to take a break and stop playing this role.

LCG

K-Love doesn't need a studio or even rent in Manhattan, except for Empire. It can all be done with one rack and handled remotely. Even the RBDS changes can be accomplished remotely.

No daily commute necessary.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Where is YOUR proof?

For extra credit please provide that picture of their offices you offered.

Just do Google maps for Educational Media Foundation 180 S Broadway White Plains. There is a nice picture there.

You can also look up who owns the building, and get tax information online.

You don't run this board or my life. Mind your own business.

Just do Google maps for Educational Media Foundation 180 S Broadway White Plains. There is a nice picture there.

You can also look up who owns the building, and get tax information online.

You don't run this board or my life. Mind your own business.

Well, thanks for the address. Note that it is designated as 'live/work" space. In the real world that means an essentially residential apartment that can also be legally used as a place of business. Not far removed from what I speculated.

"You don't run this board or my life. Mind your own business." -That is amusing.

LCG

Well, thanks for the address. Note that it is designated as 'live/work" space. In the real world that means an essentially residential apartment that can also be legally used as a place of business. Not far removed from what I speculated.

If you look at the picture, you'll see its not residential or even close.

Please stop this pissing contest.
Who cares where the local offices are located?
If EMF can afford to purchase a station in New York, I'm sure that they have substantial financial resources.

"You don't run this board or my life. Mind your own business." -That is amusing.

LCG
Before you criticize someone else here, you need to bring more than ignorant bigotry to the party. David and A have been kinder in characterizing you than I am. I hope you have no relation to the WHTG Gades. I met them. They were nice people.

Chill.

(Sorry, Frank - didn't see your post before I delivered this one.)

BTW, if EMF is pulling in $40 per month from 5% of its 20 million cume, that's $40M per month. No wonder they had pocket cash for 95.5. Impressive.

Last edited:
Please stop this pissing contest.
Who cares where the local offices are located?
If EMF can afford to purchase a station in New York, I'm sure that they have substantial financial resources.

All the WPLJ listeners need to petition the FCC Against The Mis use of Commercial FM Broadcast space. K Love is an Educational broadcaster. That should be broadcasting on the non commercial portion of the band from 88 to 91 MHz. 95.5 is designated as Commercial broadcasting space.

All the WPLJ listeners need to petition the FCC Against The Mis use of Commercial FM Broadcast space. K Love is an Educational broadcaster. That should be broadcasting on the non commercial portion of the band from 88 to 91 MHz. 95.5 is designated as Commercial broadcasting space.
Are you the same “Lorenzo F” that’s been commeting on different Youtube channels, including mine? If so, stop.

And the average listener does not care to sign some petition the FCC will not care or read. Also, you see WFUV or anyone else selling? I sure don’t.

PLJ’s gone. Done deal.

There is no rule against a station above Channel 220 on FM becoming non-commercial.

We have great precedent in the fact that on AM, no frequency was strictly commercial or non-commercial. And on FM we have many examples of non-commercial stations "above 92" going back to the Pacifica stations and, of course, great public stations like WNYC in New York. While there are not a lot of such stations, their history is long and the idea of using a commercial frequency for a listener supported station is ancient.

Some channels are designated as strictly non-commercial. You can not convert a station at 88.9 to commercial. But the "above 92" channels can be either, based on a simple filing with the FCC.

It's actually a rather attractive looking suburban office building, next to another obvious office building... across the street from a gas station and near a corner where there are two banks, a laundry, a pharmacy, a deli, a restaurant and yet another gas station. There is a flower shop, a liquor store, a Chinese restaurant and... drum-roll... no residential properties nearby (unless you count the "residents" at the McMahaon - Lyon funeral home around the corner).

The dead horse has now been successfully beaten again.

The real question is "what difference does in make where they place their local office?" In many markets, they have no office and a contract engineer handles most duties.

K-Love doesn't need a studio or even rent in Manhattan, except for Empire. It can all be done with one rack and handled remotely. Even the RBDS changes can be accomplished remotely.

No daily commute necessary.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Yes, and with the high cost of Manhattan real estate, locating in the suburbs. Significant operators like Univision Radio have moved out of NYC already.

While there are not a lot of such stations, their history is long and the idea of using a commercial frequency for a listener supported station is ancient.

In fact the two examples you cite pre-date the FCC designation of the educational band.

Before you criticize someone else here, you need to bring more than ignorant bigotry to the party. David and A have been kinder in characterizing you than I am. I hope you have no relation to the WHTG Gades. I met them. They were nice people.

Chill.

(Sorry, Frank - didn't see your post before I delivered this one.)

BTW, if EMF is pulling in $40 per month from 5% of its 20 million cume, that's $40M per month. No wonder they had pocket cash for 95.5. Impressive.

Almost time to hijack the thread with 'HTG postings...

I miss those days at Hope Rd.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

In reverse order...

There was a book out on WPLJ. Neither iHeart not Entercom can accommodate more stations. And none of the other candidates wanted to buy what would become a single, stand-alone FM in a market where non-ethnic broadcasting is highly concentrated among two dominant groups. And the market is over 50% ethnic and has a high percentage of first generation immigrants as well... making for unique-to-New-York programming challenges.

WPLJ station was doing very poorly, with collapsing revenue. In other words, a stick. And EMF had the free cash to buy... nobody else did.

And the market needed the format. There was a definite hole, and it could best be filled with a listener sustained operation.

A huge percentage of EMF's stations are translators. Translators alone do not have employees. In fact, many of the translators were licensed by EMF as new facilities or bought as CPs. EMF started with loads of translators, and only as they have grown have they added more and more full signals now that pricing is much more affordable.

Your comments about the listeners and their beliefs rings like the same bell that referred to middle Americans as "stinky WalMart customers". It's offensive to many of us who have different beliefs and values. You have the right to have formed your own conclusions about life and existence, and I can respect that. But I condone your demeaning and condescending attitude towards those who view things differently.

New York has often been called a godless city. The fact that New York has a full powered christian rocker is a bit odd given the market. It likely won't pull in more than PLJ but I doubt that's their primary objective.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom