• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Buffalo Broadcasters Hall of Fame

SirRoxalot

Walk of Fame Participant
I'm surprised that nobody's posted about this year's radio winners for the Buffalo Broadcasters Hall of Fame.

http://www.buffalobroadcasters.com/introducing-the-2019-hall-of-fame-inductees/

John Murphy came up through radio and maintained a career there as both Van Miller's broadcast partner and now as the Voice of the Bills. He continues to be a big part of WGR's programming as part of a daily simulcast with MSG network on "One Bills Live." He's one of the few simulcast guys who remember that he's on both radio and TV and is aware of what audio-only audiences have access to when moderating the program. He's careful about including radio-only audiences and tries to make video content an add-on, not a primary focus.

Don Tomasulo is the first radio honoree I can remember who primarily gained the honor out of the sales department, not programming or as a GM. That alone indicates that he's a special talent who's about a lot more than just bringing dollars through the door. He's guided a lot of other sales people to successful careers and acted more as an agency or partner than most sales people. He's built a lot of long-term relationships with customers and other broadcasters in the area. He's also a heck of a drummer.

Larry Anderson put together legendary staffs at WGR in the '70s to create a legacy that still echoes on the station today. He established it as the Sabres station. He also gave Ben Hummel/Randy Michaels his first break into a Top-30 market (oh, how things have changed). He had success in other markets during the years when listening was transitioning from AM to FM. His only misstep in Buffalo was killing off 97-Rock for WRLT (Lite FM). The return of 97-Rock after he left and its continued success have demonstrated that a tune-up, not a take-out would have been a better decision. In fairness, we all serve our masters in this business, so the ultimate decision likely wasn't his.

It's nice to see more radio people being honored. IMO, radio has a lot of catching up to do in the Hall of Fame.

A most deserving class of inductees for sure. In addition to those noted in the OP it includes investigative reporter Tony Farina, who began his career in newspaper before moving to TV; Sherry Margolis who worked at WKBW radio before moving to TV; and Jim Toellner who moved from newspaper advertising to television. I'm surprised this hasn't received more consideration and response here. It's a refreshing break from the sturm and drang of previous threads.

Larry Anderson did a great job with WGR I made it a point to listen when I came back on my not often enough visits back home. While KB was my favorite in the late '50's and '60's, 'GR55 was the station for me in the '70's. A great mix of music and personalities. I always enjoyed Stan Roberts and Shane, especially when Shane did his show from the Erie County Fair. Yes I know we natives refer to it as the Hamburg Fair. Add to that Larry Anderson was a very smooth and entertaining personality in his own right! Buffalo had 3 very formidable AM stations in the '70s with WGR, WBEN, and WKBW. That's probably why FM took a bit longer to catch on in Buffalo than in some other cities.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom