• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

K287BQ has a double now

A

AnyHuman

It looks like there is now a translator in Boerne TX calling itself K287BQ, like 105.3 in Houston...
https://fccdata.org/?lang=en&facid=148337

I can hear the Boerne translator in my area relaying KBRN 1500 in Boerne TX, but I'm not sure why they have the same call letters.

It looks like there is now a translator in Boerne TX calling itself K287BQ, like 105.3 in Houston...
https://fccdata.org/?lang=en&facid=148337

I can hear the Boerne translator in my area relaying KBRN 1500 in Boerne TX, but I'm not sure why they have the same call letters.

That’s interesting. I thought KBRN went dark a couple of years ago. Maybe the FCC has allowed its resurrection? That gives hope to other stations that have gone away like KSTB.

That’s interesting. I thought KBRN went dark a couple of years ago.

I was out in Fredericksburg a few weeks ago and was getting a good signal from KBRN with an oldies format, so back on the air.

That gives hope to other stations that have gone away like KSTB.

The KSTB license was cancelled several years ago, so it will almost certainly stay dead. The downgraded signal covered a lot of nothing. Even at its original power and transmitter site it only covered a small percentage of the metro area. It was never a viable station.

A station with similar beginnings to KSTB 101.5 was the old KZRQ 92.1, which had a comparable coverage area. However that license (later KYND/KLEF/KRTS/KROI) was able to upgrade as part of a multi station frequency shuffle. Had KSTB been able to be part of something similar, it would probably still be around.

Apparently 103.9 in Boerne is being sold along with KBRN 1500 to new ownership who play oldies on it.

I was out in Fredericksburg a few weeks ago and was getting a good signal from KBRN with an oldies format, so back on the air.

The KSTB license was cancelled several years ago, so it will almost certainly stay dead. The downgraded signal covered a lot of nothing. Even at its original power and transmitter site it only covered a small percentage of the metro area. It was never a viable station.

A station with similar beginnings to KSTB 101.5 was the old KZRQ 92.1, which had a comparable coverage area. However that license (later KYND/KLEF/KRTS/KROI) was able to upgrade as part of a multi station frequency shuffle. Had KSTB been able to be part of something similar, it would probably still be around.

The allocation is still there, so 101.5 Crystal Beach could come up in a future FCC auction. For the FCC to delete that allocation, an existing station would have to change its COL to Crystal Beach, such as KOVE, KGLK, or one of the Devers stations

The 103.9 in Boerne now has different call letters, K280GR.
Way to go to the new owner for saving the station.

Speaking of translators, I notice that K254BZ 98.7 and K278CR 103.5 are missing. Also haven't heard K247CP 97.3 in quite some time.

I'm half way between Conroe and Porter and I am getting Texas Mix loud and clear. Granted I have an outdoor FM antenna also.

Around my Cy-Fair location I can briefly hear La Nueva in KTWL signal dropout areas, but Texas Mix is still dominant on 105.3. Beltway 8 is probably the usable limit of the KTWL signal to the Southeast. I have found the KTWL signal is solid in Conroe and The Woodlands, and is surprisingly decent in Huntsville.

Stan...Did you hear KBRN in Fredericksburg on the AM or FM signal? Just curious how far they reach.

Last edited:
Stan...Did you hear KBRN in Fredericksburg on the AM or FM signal? Just curious how far they reach.

I think that was actually meant for me...KBRN 1500 had a decent signal into Fredericksburg. I did hear the 103.9 translator but that was while I was parked at the Whataburger in the east side of town, so did not “drive” the signal to get a sense of reception quality.

So AM was strong, was 103.9 FM strong while parked?

Signal was clean, no noise...but only listened for a moment, so I can't really make an overall judgement. Might have been in a sweet spot...would have had to drive it a bit to give you a better answer.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom