Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memorial Day

Memorial Day

The legal station ID on WNAM included the words "All gave some, some gave all."

So far on America's Best Music I have heard "America" by Neil Diamond and "America the Beautiful" by Ray Charles ('Now wait a minute! … God done shed his grace on thee!"). The third song after the news seems to be the one that is specifically for the holiday.

"God Bless the U.S.A." followed by a message about honoring those who served by the recorded female voice that has been the closest thing to a DJ since Jeff Rollins and Carl Hampton and friends were let go.

Soft AC WEZV, which is not known for content like this, aired some political rant ending with something about the American Red Cross with an instrumental version of "America the Beautiful" in the background. I didn't hear the start because the sound was off in case some video started playing on a newspaper web site, and even after that I thought it was a commercial.

I heard a patriotic song on WNAM two hours ago but I was dealing with some problems in the room where I was and didn't pay close enough attention to identify what was coming from the other room. The legal station IDs have changed, and other station IDs have mentioned the holiday or why we celebrate. America's Best Music played "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" an hour ago and a female singer performing "The Star Spangled Banner" just now.

WEZV has had a number of patriotic songs but because of computer problems I haven't necessarily hear them all. "My Country 'Tis of Thee" and "America the Beautiful" (Manhattan Transfer or perhaps Pentatonix) were among the songs I heard.

Without a list of last songs played, I wasn't able to find out what else WEZV did. The only site where I can listen causes too many problems for my computer. I could buy an Alexa and use my TiVo but I won't spend the money, or talk to an Alexa. However, the TiVo is already playing WNAM which had an AC-sounding version of "God Bless America" that ended with a few notes from "The star -Spangled Banner". An hour earlier there was a speech by John Wayne (I think it was him) about what makes this country great.

Quote Originally Posted by vchimpanzee View Post
    An hour earlier there was a speech by John Wayne (I think it was him) about what makes this country great.
    That is an actual recording that John Wayne made in 1973:

https://www.amazon.com/John-Wayne-Am.../dp/B01M8LIW4L

Continuing the theme for the Fourth, America's Best Music just played "God Bless America" by a female vocalist who sounded like she would be heard on AC.

An AC-Sounding "God Bless America" on WEZV.

America's Best Music: "The Star-Spangled Banner". I have the window air conditioner going so I don't know for sure, but I think it may be Whitney Houston.

Patriot music is like Christmas music. It's its own genre. Nothing wrong with Ray Charles "America" or Martina McBride's Star Spangled Banner.

The Johnny Mann Singers recorded some beautiful patriotic music.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast