• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Memorial Day

The legal station ID on WNAM included the words "All gave some, some gave all."

So far on America's Best Music I have heard "America" by Neil Diamond and "America the Beautiful" by Ray Charles ('Now wait a minute! … God done shed his grace on thee!"). The third song after the news seems to be the one that is specifically for the holiday.

"God Bless the U.S.A." followed by a message about honoring those who served by the recorded female voice that has been the closest thing to a DJ since Jeff Rollins and Carl Hampton and friends were let go.

Soft AC WEZV, which is not known for content like this, aired some political rant ending with something about the American Red Cross with an instrumental version of "America the Beautiful" in the background. I didn't hear the start because the sound was off in case some video started playing on a newspaper web site, and even after that I thought it was a commercial.

I heard a patriotic song on WNAM two hours ago but I was dealing with some problems in the room where I was and didn't pay close enough attention to identify what was coming from the other room. The legal station IDs have changed, and other station IDs have mentioned the holiday or why we celebrate. America's Best Music played "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" an hour ago and a female singer performing "The Star Spangled Banner" just now.

WEZV has had a number of patriotic songs but because of computer problems I haven't necessarily hear them all. "My Country 'Tis of Thee" and "America the Beautiful" (Manhattan Transfer or perhaps Pentatonix) were among the songs I heard.

Without a list of last songs played, I wasn't able to find out what else WEZV did. The only site where I can listen causes too many problems for my computer. I could buy an Alexa and use my TiVo but I won't spend the money, or talk to an Alexa. However, the TiVo is already playing WNAM which had an AC-sounding version of "God Bless America" that ended with a few notes from "The star -Spangled Banner". An hour earlier there was a speech by John Wayne (I think it was him) about what makes this country great.

Continuing the theme for the Fourth, America's Best Music just played "God Bless America" by a female vocalist who sounded like she would be heard on AC.

America's Best Music: "The Star-Spangled Banner". I have the window air conditioner going so I don't know for sure, but I think it may be Whitney Houston.

Patriot music is like Christmas music. It's its own genre. Nothing wrong with Ray Charles "America" or Martina McBride's Star Spangled Banner.

The last year when I worked at Lowe's they ran a channel from Muzak that played a July 4th mix of songs ranging from traditional patriotic songs to pop, rock, country, etc. songs about America. I checked and it's on again this year: http://muzakwpn.muzak.com/wpn/070.html

There was also a Memorial Day channel that was made up mostly of traditional patriotic and military songs.

America's Best Music: "America" by Neil Diamond an hour ago and "America the Beautiful" by Ray Charles a few minutes ago, though with the air conditioner on I can't really hear.

I had to give up on WEZV because the computer can't seem to handle a radio station too. WNAM is on a DVR.

I hope no radio station or syndicated format is doing what I saw a minor league baseball team in Texas do last night via internet feed of its game -- have its mascot come out waving two tiny American flags while Bruce Springsteen bellowed "Born in the USA" over the PA and the crowd bellowed mindlessly, jingoistically along. The song is not a patriotic rallying cry! Read the lyrics, people!

same can be said of Martina McBride's Independence Day, written about spouse abuse.

And also about vigilantism! The protagonist kills the abusive husband by setting the house afire. No due process there. I certainly hope no country PD would be ignorant enough to put that song on a July 4 playlist.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom