• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cable News: Who Cares?

But he used his personal site, not representing the media. At what point is someone simply a private citizen, expressing their personal views?

Is there someone in the govt trolling personal social media sites? The tweet didn't hashtag the president.

I'm not sure posting a lie is expressing someone views. Ian tweet was one of the top trending topics Sunday so it wasn't hard to miss and Bremmer has more twitter followers than CNN has viewers for some hours. There were many media people like CNN's Ana Navarro and politicians like Ted Lieu that re-tweet or commented believing the quote to be real while other journalist like Daniel Dale who called Bremmer out for the fake quote.

I'm not sure posting a lie is expressing someone views.

Intent has a lot to do with it. He synthesized two subjects the president tweeted about yesterday. The president posts lots of lies, but they're his personal views, so people shrug and move on. He says Joe Biden has low IQ. How does he know? He doesn't. But it shakes people up. Mission accomplished, and he's in the headlines again. Getting back to the point of this thread, why is playing to the cable news audience the prime focus of our elected officials? What does any of this have to do with serving the public? Don't any of them have more important things to do?

I used too watch cable news all the time.I gave up on all of them years ago way before the 2016 media circus started.Maybe the internet put the final nail in the coffin for me tuning out cable news 20 plus years ago.

If I want to see a report or a show from CNN,FOX,MSNBC,ETC .I just go on to Youtube and watch. For FREE ...No need to dish out money for extended cable with these channels.

I know a lot of politically connected people who watch cable TV news. So perhaps that 4 million actual viewers include a lot of local policy makers, or include politically oriented people who are members of the parties on the local level, or otherwise influence public opinion.

I don't watch TV myself, except when I see it at someone else's house, or in a business where a TV is going... I see plenty of references to it in social media, though, and periodically see clips posted on social media, so the 'influence' of cable TV news obviously extends beyond the TV broadcasts themselves.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/02/business/media/fox-news-democrats-primary-2020.html

And now here is more Fox News and its influence on Democrats come into play.

Three months ago, Democratic Party leaders took a stand: Fox News, President Trump’s favorite channel, and a reliable soapbox for attacks on liberals, was barred from participating in the party’s 2020 presidential debates. The move would ice out the network derided by critics as “state TV” from influencing the outcome of the Democratic primary.

Things have not exactly gone to plan.

By Sunday, the centrality of the Rupert Murdoch-controlled network to the party’s presidential contest was all but assured, as Senator Kirsten Gillibrand of New York became the fourth Democratic contender to sit for a Fox News town hall.

Julián Castro, the former housing secretary, goes on Fox News next week. Pete Buttigieg, the South Bend, Ind., mayor, earned a standing ovation (and a presidential put-down) for his Fox News town hall last month. And candidates with dismal poll numbers are taking steps to woo the network’s bookers, viewing Fox News appearances — which tend to rate higher than town halls on rivals CNN and MSNBC — as an efficient and buzz-making path to raise their profiles.

It's a great idea, but probably bad for ratings.

But the argument that Fox needs to please other people besides Trump voters has been persistent for 2.5 years going back to when Fox feared that Sinclair would get Republicans away from the network. But that was when there were outlets reporting that Jared Kushner had a meeting with Sinclair leaders over a rumored deal.

Fox News did make some changes recently like getting Donna Brazile a former DNC party adviser to network an yet the long term implications of getting Democrats to Fox News is yet to be determined.

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/trump-campaign-sinclair-broadcasting-jared-kushner-232764

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/donna-brazile-explains-why-she-is-working-for-fox-news

Fox News did make some changes recently like getting Donna Brazile a former DNC party adviser to network an yet the long term implications of getting Democrats to Fox News is yet to be determined.

Regular viewers aren't interested in hearing other voices. It will lead to tune-out.

New York Times is telling reporters not to appear on cable opinion shows,

I think that's reasonable. Reporters are not pundits. They should not be asked to go outside what's comfortable.

However, I see NY Times reporters speaking with Brian Williams. He does a pretty straight show, and respects reporters.

Regular viewers aren't interested in hearing other voices. It will lead to tune-out.

Bill Maher has said for many months that the Dems need to get their message heard by Conservatives and the only way to do that is for Democrat presidential candidates to appear on conservative programs.

Most of the conservative people I know are most likely never going to change their minds even those that know Trump has shafted the majority of them so not sure whether Maher's suggestion is workable or not.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...g-on-fox-news-something-weird-going-on-at-fox

Well as usual politicians care about their poll numbers but in this case its Trump talking about the recent Fox News poll.

President Trump on Monday dismissed a new poll from Fox News that showed him losing to multiple 2020 Democratic presidential candidates, saying "something weird" is happening at the network favored by conservatives.

Fox News on Sunday released a poll that showed Trump trailing five Democratic presidential contenders in hypothetical 2020 match-ups. The survey showed former Vice President Joe Biden leading Trump by 10 points.

It also showed Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) carrying a 9-point lead in a hypothetical head-to-head match-up. Three other Democratic candidates — Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) and South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg — also polled ahead of Trump, albeit within the survey's margin of error.

The Democrats are doing the same thing the Republicans did in 2016 in that they have too many announced candidates, which split the votes in the primaries to a point that Trump came out on top even though he had less than half the vote, so they ended up with someone that a big part of the voters didn't want. And it didn't help that the Republican leadership did nothing to stop him and come up with another choice. With so many Democrats running the same situation could happen with them where an extremist that a large part of voters don't want comes out on top because of the vote being split, so we end up with the choices in November being two extremists on both ends of the political spectrum that leave a lot of voters wanting another choice or none of the above.

https://tvnewscheck.com/article/top-news/236239/high-stakes-for-nbc-news-ahead-of-debates/

Well the primary debates are like the Cable News Version of "Watching the league(NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL) drafts" seen on the sports talk channels where pundits hype up ratings.

NEW YORK (AP) — Don’t envy NBC News executive Rashida Jones, who is behind this week’s inaugural Democratic presidential debate and will have to juggle 20 candidates, five news personalities and, it’s likely, one tweeting president.

While the event is obviously important for politicians getting their first wide exposure as potential presidents, the stakes are high for NBC News, too.

“Primary debates are a big prestige event for every network,” said Mark Lukasiewicz, dean of Hofstra University’s school of communication, who had Jones’ job four years ago. “It’s why every network tries to get one and tries to get as many as they can. It’s a branding opportunity.”

And get rid of the audience. They serve no purpose except to get the candidates playing to them and wasting time.

And get rid of the audience. They serve no purpose except to get the candidates playing to them and wasting time.

What amazed me is how the audience applauded everything, even the obviously weak or embarrassing answers. Do they have an "applause" sign like they do on "Let's Make a Deal" and the sitcoms with a studio audience?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom