Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Philadelphia 80s Radio War is on

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg. View Post
    Have we really gotten to the point where a Classic Hits station wants to say "Nobody Plays More 80s?"
    If that’s where the listeners are, sure. And that’s where they seem to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg. View Post
    Have we really gotten to the point where a Classic Hits station wants to say "Nobody Plays More 80s?" I know the 60 are out, but the 70s are out too now? Why does it seem to me that Oldies/Classic Hits stations chop off another decade every five years, not ten?

Yet for 1980s music, there are four stations competing for your ears. WOGL and Ben-FM play tons of 80s hits. But I hear a lot of 80s material on WBEB, more than you'd expect from an AC trying to stay current. I was surprised to hear two 80s songs in a row. OK, it was midday, but still. And of course, a lot of 80s are airing on The Breeze. On the rock side, Classic Rock WMGK plays 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s rock songs.
    The '70s ended four decades ago. Classic Hits will always be classic hits...but really old classic hits can also be considered Nostalgia! And we know how those stations fared.

'80s is having a real renaissance right now, kinda reminding me of how the '70s surged back to relevance back in the '90s. Someone in the middle of WOGL's target was a kid for a good part of the '80s so a lot of '70s music is from before some of those folks were born (or old enough to care about pop music). And I think B101.1's increased '80s is just a reaction to The Breeze and WOGL. Nothing unusual about any of it, IMHO.

All that having been said, there are certainly plenty of '70s songs that I like hearing. Do I want to hear them every time I listen to the radio? No. But there are a lot of places to tune to or click on a '70s channel, which I do occasionally. So all hope isn't lost!
    But not a real green dress, that's cruel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12