Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Can Someone Translate These Translators?

  1. #1
    DrAkbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Buckeye Media Hut
    Posts
    4,261

    Can Someone Translate These Translators?

    Nurse Jeff is not the sharpest tool in the Media Hut Tuff Shed, so I need to axe for a little help. The other day we picked up 90~Seven, which is a translator for KRKY in Douglas, Wy of all places. The hodgepodge programming is also heard on KPHX 14~Eighty, due to common ownership. Well KPHX has a translator itself at 92~Nine, but we've yet to hear what it's programming. I strongly suspect it's the same mish-mash heard on 14~Eighty and 90~Seven (and the rest of the vast KRKY-FM network). Can someone 'splain the thinking behind all this wasted bandwidth in the Valley?

    Here are a few clues:

    https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pa...4DN&service=FX

    https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pa...5CT&service=FX

    http://www.krkyfm.com/where-to-listen/
    Dr. Akbar 'n Nurse Jeff
    The Middle Eastern Men of the Media
    Buckeye, AZ

    Now in our 19th year of posting totally irrelevant comments. Someone had to do it!

  2. #2
    Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    38,840
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAkbar View Post
    Can someone 'splain the thinking behind all this wasted bandwidth in the Valley?
    Most radio conundrums (conundra?) can be explained by either greed or ego.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post


    Most radio conundrums (conundra?) can be explained by either greed or ego.
    Vic Michael, while a nice guy is all about moving/upgrading, buying/improving and selling. It's all part of his chess game and everything he has is for sale.

  4. #4
    DrAkbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Buckeye Media Hut
    Posts
    4,261
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRadioGuy View Post
    Vic Michael, while a nice guy is all about moving/upgrading, buying/improving and selling. It's all part of his chess game and everything he has is for sale.
    Sounds right. He's moving his Willcox Class A to Catalina, providing service to a good portion of Tucson as well as gila monsters, scorpions, rattlesnakes & javelinas.
    Dr. Akbar 'n Nurse Jeff
    The Middle Eastern Men of the Media
    Buckeye, AZ

    Now in our 19th year of posting totally irrelevant comments. Someone had to do it!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRadioGuy View Post
    Vic Michael, while a nice guy is all about moving/upgrading, buying/improving and selling. It's all part of his chess game and everything he has is for sale.
    I couldn't agree more. He is the Ted Tucker of translators, albeit more reachable.
    The views expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by EricStein View Post
    I couldn't agree more. He is the Ted Tucker of translators, albeit more reachable.

    Look at towns where one of Vic's non commercial organizations has a non comm CP or full power or bought or traded for a non comm full power... you'll find a full power commercial station vic owns/bought/traded for that he will be moving. The non comms are so vic can move what was a towns likely only aural service and move the commercial signal somewhere else.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    735
    KJCC 1230 in Salt Lake City has been running KRKY for at least a week. (I'm new in SLC. I was trying to figure out what was happening on this frequency---especially since I haven't heard any spots!)

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sahuarita, AZ
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAkbar View Post
    Sounds right. He's moving his Willcox Class A to Catalina, providing service to a good portion of Tucson as well as gila monsters, scorpions, rattlesnakes & javelinas.
    Thought it was moving to Tanque Verde? I've been living in the Tucson area for the past 15 years and never heard of that town. Apparently it is on the far east side of Tucson which has even more of those desert critters than Catalina.

  9. #9
    If this is a country version of KCDX, I think the country stalwarts here in Baja Arizona should be concerned...

  10. #10
    DrAkbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Buckeye Media Hut
    Posts
    4,261
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioBill View Post
    Thought it was moving to Tanque Verde? I've been living in the Tucson area for the past 15 years and never heard of that town. Apparently it is on the far east side of Tucson which has even more of those desert critters than Catalina.
    Michael's KAZK is a non-comm moving from Willcox to Catalina. KWCX is commercial, and moving from Willcox to Tanque Verde. Wassup with Willcox and these two stations moving out? Did the Old Gringo buy there?
    Last edited by DrAkbar; 05-28-2019 at 05:35 PM.
    Dr. Akbar 'n Nurse Jeff
    The Middle Eastern Men of the Media
    Buckeye, AZ

    Now in our 19th year of posting totally irrelevant comments. Someone had to do it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

     
Useful Contacts
Community


123