• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What does it take to become a TV Weather Person ?

Just how hard or easy is it to become a TV weather person ? An AMS weather person.

A college degree in meteorology or some other major with a concentration/minor in meteorology. And for TV, an attractive face and well-toned body. The latter never mattered in the days of "AM Weather" -- the aero weather show that used to air on PBS stations back in the '90s -- but today you don't get in the door if you aren't good looking.

The AMS is a separate thing. There's only 528 current AMS certified broadcast meteorologists. The AMS program requires taking a written examination, submission of college transcripts to prove your degree in atmospheric science, and submission of a few weathercasts to ensure you aren't a bumbling idiot on the air. Maintaining the AMS credential also requires a few hours a year of professional development work.

I know someone who took the required degree courses through Mississippi State

And, IIRC, Lyndonville College in VT also provides the necessary criteria......
Plymouth State University in NH offers a well-rounded met course -- not sure if it's AMS certified, though.....
Lou Mcnally (from WMTW-TV 8, ME) used to teach a 2-week summer met course at College of the Atlantic in Bar Harbor, ME.
Though NOT AMS certified, it DID provide a "capsule" overview of weather....and he packed a LOT of info into those 2 weeks!
I've taken 2 of his courses at COA.....IMO, well-worth the $$ and time invested!!

No one mentioned the final, most important requirement to be an on air weatherjerk: a HUGE ego

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom