Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KFROG 95.1

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AceBiscuits View Post
    Source?
    Me.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

It's now official, as reported by CountryAircheck.com:

Entercom KSON/San Diego OM/PD Kevin Callahan has added programming responsibility for sister KFRG/Riverside, filling the vacancy created by the departure of Scott Ward (CAT 6/5). Callahan now has programming oversight for all of the company's Southern California stations and continues as OM for the five-station San Diego cluster. "His vast award-winning industry experience and leadership in audio and marketing innovation will help raise the bar for our team," says Riverside SVP/MM Michael Valenzuela. Callahan adds, "I’ve been fortunate to oversee programming efforts for 103.7 KSON and I look forward to taking K-FROG to new heights in the next chapter of my career."

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    It's now official, as reported by CountryAircheck.com:

Entercom KSON/San Diego OM/PD Kevin Callahan has added programming responsibility for sister KFRG/Riverside, filling the vacancy created by the departure of Scott Ward (CAT 6/5). Callahan now has programming oversight for all of the company's Southern California stations and continues as OM for the five-station San Diego cluster. "His vast award-winning industry experience and leadership in audio and marketing innovation will help raise the bar for our team," says Riverside SVP/MM Michael Valenzuela. Callahan adds, "I’ve been fortunate to oversee programming efforts for 103.7 KSON and I look forward to taking K-FROG to new heights in the next chapter of my career."
    Translation: "the under-revenue Riverside San Bernardino market can't afford to have a program director for a leading station billing nearly $8 million a year so one of our already overworked staff members in another market will give it a few minutes a day".
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

Translation: "the under-revenue Riverside San Bernardino market can't afford to have a program director for a leading station billing nearly $8 million a year so one of our already overworked staff members in another market will give it a few minutes a day".
    For every blog post about the failing AM in Willcox, AZ... I point to this simple truth: no amount of pining for the good old days will bring revenue back.
    The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers. Retweets are not endorsements.

Quote Originally Posted by johndavis View Post
    For every blog post about the failing AM in Willcox, AZ... I point to this simple truth: no amount of pining for the good old days will bring revenue back.
    And that is true particularly in smaller towns where the Walmarts and other big box stores have reduced the local accounts while not buying much, if any, local radio.

Quote Originally Posted by johndavis View Post

True. And, that story is really a story about one of the smallest towns to have even one radio station that has three (an AM and two FMs) in a poor area, within the shadow of a larger market (Tucson)'s signals, with a deadbeat owner dumped on top of that heap of not-good. It would be hard to imagine a deck more stacked. There are other small-town stations that are doing well under different circumstances, but the Willcox story has failure written all over it, and while the owner is absolutely a problem, the "hero" of the story isn't doing something that would be successful if there was a decent owner or a sales base.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hagerty View Post
    True. And, that story is really a story about one of the smallest towns to have even one radio station that has three (an AM and two FMs) in a poor area, within the shadow of a larger market (Tucson)'s signals, with a deadbeat owner dumped on top of that heap of not-good. It would be hard to imagine a deck more stacked. There are other small-town stations that are doing well under different circumstances, but the Willcox story has failure written all over it, and while the owner is absolutely a problem, the "hero" of the story isn't doing something that would be successful if there was a decent owner or a sales base.
    From a business standpoint (and from a spectrum cleanup standpoint), weak AM stations need to be left to die.

And while this will probably get me jeered at, from a business standpoint I can't fault Entercom for managing the IE from somewhere else.
    The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers. Retweets are not endorsements.

When it was owned by CBS, there were constant rumors that the station was going to be sold. This move gives it a few more years of life.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    When it was owned by CBS, there were constant rumors that the station was going to be sold. This move gives it a few more years of life.
    What is often ignored is that, while ranked 26th in population, the Riverside San Berdoo market is ranked 48th in revenue. Of listening to commercial stations, only around 25 to 30 shares are to local stations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12