• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Favorite (locally produced) Pittsburgh radio programs

In a world where the pool of potential candidates is admittedly shrinking, what are some of your favorite locally-produced Pittsburgh radio programs these days?

I'll start off with my top 3, in no particular order, as:

Savran on Sports on WBGG - Sadly I rarely get to hear it these days due to my work schedule. Stan is an old
pro, and still one of the best. His show is always informative.

Muscles of Soul with Gene Reid, WKFB - I don't know Mr. Reid, but always enjoy his program. He really does
his homework, and I learn a lot about the history of this music.

The Saturday Afternoon Whatever-That-Is with Jay Thurber on WRCT - I guess I'm a sucker for the
schlocky 1970's morning show format. I know the host has a lot of irons in the fire trying to help people
in the Mon Valley, but he always manages to put together something entertaining.

Greene County Gold 1210 am 105.1( Translator) Sunday night 6pm to 12 am, The Greaser has alot of Music info.( They have a website).

How about The Morning Freak Show with Mikey and Bob on 96-1 KISS? They are a funny morning show!

I'm unsure if it's still produced, but at one time Bill Hillgrove hosted a show called "Evening Jazz". It had at least some distribution outside Pittsburgh, as it aired for a number of years on an NPR station in the Miami, FL market on Saturday nights.

Last edited:
I'm unsure if it's still produced, but at one time Bill Hillgrove hosted a show called "Evening Jazz". It had at least some distribution outside Pittsburgh, as it aired for a number of years on an NPR station in the Miami, FL market on Saturday nights.
Apologies, I misspoke. Hillgrove's jazz program is called "PubJazz" and according to this site, it's heard on a number of stations:

Bill Hillgrove's jazz program is not produced any longer. It ended about the time he had his DUI.

Two of the three "24/7" jazz networks nationally are produced in Pittsburgh. One is the PubJazz service that Bill Hillgrove used to host for produced at WZUM, the other comes from WESA and features Bob Studebaker.

It's not radio I know, but Pittsburgh PBS station WQED produces a fair amount of content that's not only seen on that station, but is also sometimes distributed elsewhere. More than a decade ago (still in the analog TV days) I used to see Rick Sebak's documentaries airing in various US cities during my travels. When first aired on WQED during pledge drives, supposedly his documentaries which are filled with nostalgia caused the phones to light up and several people pledged in an effort to get their own copies, and this creation of Rick's was supposedly duplicated by several other PBS stations. At times on the Create channel (on many PBS stations' subchannels) one can find cooking shows hosted or co-hosted by WQED's Chris Fennimore. Dissapointingly, they can seem a bit amateurish and unpolished vs. most nationally distributed cooking shows, even others seen on Create.

Last edited:
Frankie Day Oldies show on 770/97.5 WKFB 8 am to 10 am Monday thru Friday. Alot of local Artists, Concerts and Events promoted. Along with requests from listeners.

Bill Hillgrove's jazz program is not produced any longer. It ended about the time he had his DUI.

Two of the three "24/7" jazz networks nationally are produced in Pittsburgh. One is the PubJazz service that Bill Hillgrove used to host for produced at WZUM, the other comes from WESA and features Bob Studebaker.

There are only two Jazz networks now. Jazz24 ended when KPLU was sold. Pubmusic Jazz which is affiliated with WZUM is the big network distributed by satellite to public stations nationwide and took over the Jazz24 stations. The WESA network is a handful of stations on a little barix network.

It was "Weekend Jazz" and aired on 65 public stations nationwide.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom