Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WPLJ Goodbye Party

WPLJ Goodbye Party

There was a party last night in New York for WPLJ. Lots of station alums were there, including former DJs Scott Shannon, Jim Kerr, Jimmy Fink, and Carol Miller. There was great coverage of the party at AllAccess.com:

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...union-in-new-y

Sadly the one person not present was the late PD Larry Berger, who died last year. He was PD during the rock years, and was responsible for the station's legendary status. If anyone should get credit, it's Larry.

The DJ Reunion/Farewell Show is underway with Scott Shannon, Patty Steele, Brad Blanks and Joe Nolan taking over the mics in the 12 Noon ET hour.

Race Taylor has been hosting from 9 AM ET up to this point with call-ins and appearances from some of the past PLJ voices,
    reminiscing about their times.

Amazing day so far but also really sad. And I love how the jocks are using jargon on the air. "I don't have the cans on." "Is that even potted up?" "I'm not running the board right now." "I may as well hit the post, right?"
    But not a real green dress, that's cruel.

OMG, they're talking about pitching up the music to make it sound brighter than the competing stations. This is quite an education for non radio geeks!

The Scott Shannon "Big Show" hour that originally aired between Noon-1:05 PM ET will be repeated at 6 PM ET on Thu. 5/30.

Todd Pettengill joined about halfway through (likely via ISDN) to reminisce.

Mike Allen will then do his last show starting at 7 PM ET.
    He was originally scheduled to be on Friday evening 5/31 but that changed after it was announced
    earlier this week that EMF would be taking over at 7 PM instead of Midnight early Saturday morning 6/1/2019.

Quote Originally Posted by pjc1961 View Post
    The Scott Shannon "Big Show" hour that originally aired between Noon-1:05 PM ET will be repeated at 6 PM ET on Thu. 5/30.

Todd Pettengill joined about halfway through (likely via ISDN) to reminisce.

Mike Allan will then do his last show starting at 7 PM ET.
    He was originally scheduled to be on Friday evening 5/31 but that changed after it was announced
    earlier this week that EMF would be taking over at 7 PM instead of Midnight early Saturday morning 6/1/2019.
    Spelling correction on Mike Allan's name.

I just heard the first caller dropping the F-Bomb during the open call lines a few minutes ago.....

Quote Originally Posted by CurtisNEPA View Post
    I just heard the first caller dropping the F-Bomb during the open call lines a few minutes ago.....
    How did they handle it? I'd probably be like "Oh well! F*** it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Miguelito View Post
    How did they handle it? I'd probably be like "Oh well! F*** it!"
    What I heard is a lady saying "it's f*****' amazing!" and the hosts immediately hung her up.

These things happen. FCC and Cumulus wouldn't care much about this tiny incident since they're going off the air anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtisNEPA View Post
    What I heard is a lady saying "it's f*****' amazing!" and the hosts immediately hung her up.

These things happen. FCC and Cumulus wouldn't care much about this tiny incident since they're going off the air anyways.
    Probably not, but it was funny and totally unexpected when it happened. I was listening through the Tune-In APP. I don't know if it was caught before the OTA.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!
    Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta! Spring Training Home of the Sa-ra-so-ta! Orioles. www.myteamsuspenders.com and tell us you read it here for free shipping of your favorite sports team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast