• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WPLJ Goodbye Party

TheBigA

Walk of Fame Participant
There was a party last night in New York for WPLJ. Lots of station alums were there, including former DJs Scott Shannon, Jim Kerr, Jimmy Fink, and Carol Miller. There was great coverage of the party at AllAccess.com:

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/...throws-gala-going-away-party-reunion-in-new-y

Sadly the one person not present was the late PD Larry Berger, who died last year. He was PD during the rock years, and was responsible for the station's legendary status. If anyone should get credit, it's Larry.

The DJ Reunion/Farewell Show is underway with Scott Shannon, Patty Steele, Brad Blanks and Joe Nolan taking over the mics in the 12 Noon ET hour.

Race Taylor has been hosting from 9 AM ET up to this point with call-ins and appearances from some of the past PLJ voices,
reminiscing about their times.

Amazing day so far but also really sad. And I love how the jocks are using jargon on the air. "I don't have the cans on." "Is that even potted up?" "I'm not running the board right now." "I may as well hit the post, right?"

OMG, they're talking about pitching up the music to make it sound brighter than the competing stations. This is quite an education for non radio geeks!

The Scott Shannon "Big Show" hour that originally aired between Noon-1:05 PM ET will be repeated at 6 PM ET on Thu. 5/30.

Todd Pettengill joined about halfway through (likely via ISDN) to reminisce.

Mike Allen will then do his last show starting at 7 PM ET.
He was originally scheduled to be on Friday evening 5/31 but that changed after it was announced
earlier this week that EMF would be taking over at 7 PM instead of Midnight early Saturday morning 6/1/2019.

The Scott Shannon "Big Show" hour that originally aired between Noon-1:05 PM ET will be repeated at 6 PM ET on Thu. 5/30.

Todd Pettengill joined about halfway through (likely via ISDN) to reminisce.

Mike Allan will then do his last show starting at 7 PM ET.
He was originally scheduled to be on Friday evening 5/31 but that changed after it was announced
earlier this week that EMF would be taking over at 7 PM instead of Midnight early Saturday morning 6/1/2019.

Spelling correction on Mike Allan's name.

How did they handle it? I'd probably be like "Oh well! F*** it!"

What I heard is a lady saying "it's f*****' amazing!" and the hosts immediately hung her up.

These things happen. FCC and Cumulus wouldn't care much about this tiny incident since they're going off the air anyways.

What I heard is a lady saying "it's f*****' amazing!" and the hosts immediately hung her up.

These things happen. FCC and Cumulus wouldn't care much about this tiny incident since they're going off the air anyways.

Probably not, but it was funny and totally unexpected when it happened. I was listening through the Tune-In APP. I don't know if it was caught before the OTA.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

I'd love to hear the aircheck of Scott Shannon's return to PLJ. I was at work and did not get to listen. Saw some stuff on Facebook Live, but the audio quality was terrible.

There was definitely a hole in NYC for a station that plays Nickelback rip offs singing about Jesus. I see a major opportunity. The people who donate money to this station...god all I have to do is buy any and all informational tv garbage, put a cross on it and they will buy it by the truck loads. I'm sure that this is exactly what the creator has intended for mankind.

If they keep the WPLJ letters they will finally stand for something. We Praise Lord Jesus. Am I right that they're doing something like that?

If they keep the WPLJ letters they will finally stand for something. We Praise Lord Jesus. Am I right that they're doing something like that?

This is why it is odd all this hoopla about losing WPLJ. They are still using the same call letters and it is just another format change of many. The music played before the format change is just as foreign to the music played during their AOR days. Nothing of value was lost. The PLJ people loved dies many times years ago. The station was a complete disaster in recent years.

The music now sounds somewhat similar to suburban pop played on PLJ with just different-Christian lyrics. They are bringing something new to the frequency as opposed to that dying and rotting carcass that was all over the place on that frequency.

This is why it is odd all this hoopla about losing WPLJ. They are still using the same call letters and it is just another format change of many. The music played before the format change is just as foreign to the music played during their AOR days. Nothing of value was lost. The PLJ people loved dies many times years ago. The station was a complete disaster in recent years.

The music now sounds somewhat similar to suburban pop played on PLJ with just different-Christian lyrics. They are bringing something new to the frequency as opposed to that dying and rotting carcass that was all over the place on that frequency.
Yeah well ooookaaaaay

Mike, I remember that original flip to I guess you could say Top 40/contemporary. Was it summer of 1983? I heard it live the late Larry Berger announcing the format change and why.

Mike, I remember that original flip to I guess you could say Top 40/contemporary. Was it summer of 1983? I heard it live the late Larry Berger announcing the format change and why.

June 30, 1983, I remember it to and it was a big deal at the time since PLJ was so much part of rock culture. He did a follow-up on it a few weeks later that I found here. Could not find the original from June 30, 1983 though probably out there some where. There is one on youtube that says June 30 but that one is the same as this one from a few weeks later.

https://airchexx.com/2017/12/17/pro...-explains-new-format-wplj-new-york-july-1983/

June 30, 1983, I remember it to and it was a big deal at the time since PLJ was so much part of rock culture. He did a follow-up on it a few weeks later that I found here. Could not find the original from June 30, 1983 though probably out there some where. There is one on youtube that says June 30 but that one is the same as this one from a few weeks later.

https://airchexx.com/2017/12/17/pro...-explains-new-format-wplj-new-york-july-1983/

It was nice to hear Mr Berger again. He omitted some points back then that he made more recently in another forum.

One being that WPLJ had never been able to attract the kind of major sponsors that WNEW-f had i.e.: airlines, car manufacturers, etc.

The second was that on arriving at WPLJ in fall 1974 his frame of reference was not WNEW but WXLO (99X) . He remarked that while PLJ was a whisper in terms of loudness, 99X was shouting.

Here, in my opinion, is where these two points fall into conflict; simply put, you cannot attract an ‘adult” rock audience with teen formatics and processing.

I was not an AOR listener but a lot of fellow classmates at NYU were. They regarded PLJ as a “corporate” poseur and not true AOR. As odd as it may seem, AOR fans treated their music with the same level of seriousness as classical listeners, and expected their station to respect the music. As someone who had a First Phone and some experience, I understood the exigencies of broadcasting, but anyone could hear the difference between the old unmodded “max brothers” that WNEW used vs, the stack of DAP 310’s along with sped-up turntables that Mr. Berger employed. WNEW did become a bit more processed after their move to new studios in March 1979, but never became the “hamburger” or “buzzsaw” that WPLJ was described with.

I suspect the Mr Berger would rather have gone head-to-head Top-40 against 99X but this was verboten due to it’s likely effect on sister station WABC. By spring 1983 with WABC lost to talk and rumors of Malrite’s intentions for 100.3, the barriers were removed and corporate gave the OK for him to go full CHR. FWIW; I think it was the right move.

LCG

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom