• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Two Different San Diego Translators at 103.3

It seems there are two different translators at 103.3 in San Diego. I checked with FCC.gov's FM Query webpage. K277DH rebroadcasts iHeart Sports station 1360 KLSD. It is powered at 250 watts at 889 feet above sea level. The tower is at the intersection of I-5 and I-15, near National City and the naval base.

K277DG rebroadcasts Christian station 1240 KNSN, which itself simulcasts 740 KBRT Costa Mesa. This translator is powered at only 15 watts, on a tower 456 feet above sea level. It is located near La Jolla, on Mount Soledad, near the intersection of I-5 and Route 52/Mt. Soledad Freeway.

I suppose they are far enough apart that they can co-exist. But I've never heard about one city having two translators on the same frequency. It must get really confusing if you're listening to sports and it suddenly becomes religion as you drive up I-5. I'm sure the benefit an AM station gets from having an FM translator is lost if it keeps switching programming as you drive around the city.

These days, there are plenty of AM stations that are dependent on their FM translators for their audience and ratings. Many AM stations never refer to their AM frequency, only the FM dial position, calling themselves "Alt 96.3" or "B94.5." But they aren't competing with a totally different station on their FM translator's frequency in the same city.

In ABQ we have an LPFM (100W @ 72 feet) on the south side of town and a translator (99w @ 171 feet) on the north side of town. If you are in the middle of town, it is one or the other.

It seems there are two different translators at 103.3 in San Diego. I checked with FCC.gov's FM Query webpage. K277DH rebroadcasts iHeart Sports station 1360 KLSD. It is powered at 250 watts at 889 feet above sea level. The tower is at the intersection of I-5 and I-15, near National City and the naval base.

K277DG rebroadcasts Christian station 1240 KNSN, which itself simulcasts 740 KBRT Costa Mesa. This translator is powered at only 15 watts, on a tower 456 feet above sea level. It is located near La Jolla, on Mount Soledad, near the intersection of I-5 and Route 52/Mt. Soledad Freeway.

I suppose they are far enough apart that they can co-exist. But I've never heard about one city having two translators on the same frequency. It must get really confusing if you're listening to sports and it suddenly becomes religion as you drive up I-5. I'm sure the benefit an AM station gets from having an FM translator is lost if it keeps switching programming as you drive around the city.

These days, there are plenty of AM stations that are dependent on their FM translators for their audience and ratings. Many AM stations never refer to their AM frequency, only the FM dial position, calling themselves "Alt 96.3" or "B94.5." But they aren't competing with a totally different station on their FM translator's frequency in the same city.

You have the two translators backwards.
K277DG is located in National City, K277DH is in La Jolla

1) The 1240 KNSN translator signal is highly-directional to the south, to protect the one on Mt. Soledad
2) The bigger question: why would any San Diego station want a translator on 103.3? On warmer days with tropospheric ducting (which in the summer and fall can be nearly every day), the huge 105,000-watt KVYB in Santa Barbara roars down the coast, and comes in like a local. Even from about 200 miles away, KVYB's signal in metro San Diego can overpower those two in-town translators.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom