• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WCPT to lose morning syndicated host Bill Press

staggmovie

Star Participant
Robert Feder had a news report this morning that WCPT is losing morning syndicated host Bill Press https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/05...wcpt-lose-syndicated-morning-host-bill-press/ . His last day on the air is May 31st after 14 years of hosting his show, that is based in Washington DC, and also that his replacement is to be announced later this year. For most of his run he was on Progressive talk stations all the country, until the last few years when he joined the YoungTreks network, that had cut his airtime from 3 hours to 2 hours, which eliminated almost all the talk shows, and I don't know how they worked its out expect for WCPT. But I am assuming that Bill Press made the announcement live on his show, but don't see it mentioned on the podcast.

He says he will do a podcast. (Doesn't everyone?) Over time, the affiliates dwindled. Perhaps one of Bill Press's staffers or frequent guests will be given the opportunity to continue the show. That leaves very few Progressive Talk syndicated shows.

Thom Hartmann and Stephanie Miller are on SiriusXM Progress and on nearly all remaining Progressive Talk stations. And Norman Goldman, based at KTNF Minneapolis, continues his syndicated show. There's Ring of Fire for weekend airing. But I think that's it. It's really too bad that the market for Progressive Talk has dried up. But when it comes to spoken word programming, it's either Conservative Talk Radio, NPR or Sports. And I guess we should include Dave Ramsey and Clark Howard with consumer advice.

There's no room for any other talk format. No more psychologists or advice shows like Sally Jesse Rafael, Bruce Williams, Dr. Joy or Dr. Toni Grant. (Dr. Laura continues on Sirius XM but I never liked her.) No cooking shows or women's talk.

It's either NPR, Sports or Rush & Hannity clones. Otherwise, you'll have to listen to music stations.

He says he will do a podcast. (Doesn't everyone?)

Here's the thing... I used to be a heavy talk radio listener.

I can't stand listening to talk anymore.

I can't take another open lines segment where someone calls in posing as a concerned listener spewing out talking points. Even when I agree with them, it just grates on my nerves. Then I started listening to sports talk. The first thing I do when they take calls is punch out. I got tired of those shows last year and haven't listened more than half an hour since.

NPR can sometimes capture my attention, but often not.

On the other hand, I can usually find a podcast that I can get into. Either it's an interesting panel discussion, or it's an interesting interview, or it's just plain good storytelling. There's a lot of bad podcasts out there, but the good ones are *really* good.

Bill can be a good interviewer and storyteller, so his podcast might be worth checking out once he's freed from the need to take calls.

On the other hand, I can usually find a podcast that I can get into. Either it's an interesting panel discussion, or it's an interesting interview, or it's just plain good storytelling. There's a lot of bad podcasts out there, but the good ones are *really* good.

And it's really freeing to have the choice to skip a show when they have a bad episode. One of my podcasts had Bernie Sanders on last week. I do not Feel The Bern, so I didn't bother downloading. Back in the day I could have listened to Sen. Sanders anyway, or punched the dial for some other variety of programming, or turned off the radio.

But with on-demand podcasts, I simply skipped Bernie and listened to a show about tourism in Thailand.

10 years ago I carried a pocket radio with me to work and would listen to Rush's first segment or two on my lunch. But I probably haven't listened to his show even a little bit in 5 years now.

He says he will do a podcast. (Doesn't everyone?) Over time, the affiliates dwindled. Perhaps one of Bill Press's staffers or frequent guests will be given the opportunity to continue the show. That leaves very few Progressive Talk syndicated shows.

Thom Hartmann and Stephanie Miller are on SiriusXM Progress and on nearly all remaining Progressive Talk stations. And Norman Goldman, based at KTNF Minneapolis, continues his syndicated show. There's Ring of Fire for weekend airing. But I think that's it. It's really too bad that the market for Progressive Talk has dried up. But when it comes to spoken word programming, it's either Conservative Talk Radio, NPR or Sports. And I guess we should include Dave Ramsey and Clark Howard with consumer advice.

There's no room for any other talk format. No more psychologists or advice shows like Sally Jesse Rafael, Bruce Williams, Dr. Joy or Dr. Toni Grant. (Dr. Laura continues on Sirius XM but I never liked her.) No cooking shows or women's talk.

It's either NPR, Sports or Rush & Hannity clones. Otherwise, you'll have to listen to music stations.

Just about, Jonathon Brandmeier he doesn't host a podcast, not to sure what he is up to these days, maybe still waiting to see if he does get another radio gig or not. Are you sure Norman Goldman still hosts his show, as the article mentioned that he retired from his show, I bet you didn't read it. And his old slot 5:00-8:00 PM has been takenn over ny a couple of different hosts, one that does a show on Mondays only.

Here's the thing... I used to be a heavy talk radio listener.

I can't stand listening to talk anymore.

I can't take another open lines segment where someone calls in posing as a concerned listener spewing out talking points. Even when I agree with them, it just grates on my nerves. Then I started listening to sports talk. The first thing I do when they take calls is punch out. I got tired of those shows last year and haven't listened more than half an hour since.

NPR can sometimes capture my attention, but often not.

Bill can be a good interviewer and storyteller, so his podcast might be worth checking out once he's freed from the need to take calls.

SO don't listen, remember nobody forced you to revel this information you did this on your own

And it's really freeing to have the choice to skip a show when they have a bad episode. One of my podcasts had Bernie Sanders on last week. I do not Feel The Bern, so I didn't bother downloading. Back in the day I could have listened to Sen. Sanders anyway, or punched the dial for some other variety of programming, or turned off the radio.

But with on-demand podcasts, I simply skipped Bernie and listened to a show about tourism in Thailand.

10 years ago I carried a pocket radio with me to work and would listen to Rush's first segment or two on my lunch. But I probably haven't listened to his show even a little bit in 5 years now.

But how do you know if it is a bad episode if you choose not to listen? You can skip episodes just remember it is you that will miss out on the episode?

SO don't listen, remember nobody forced you to revel this information you did this on your own

Point is, talk radio is dying.

Now, just as talk's success in the 90s meant that suddenly AM was filled with lots of third and fourth-tier syndicated shows, there are a lot of bad podcasts out there, especially since the cost of entry is so low.

But talk radio is dying, and that's why you don't see a whole lot of effort being put into program development. The effort to find the next big thing is happening where the growth is.

Yes, I see Norman Goldman has given up his show. He's an attorney as well, so I can understand doing three hours of a radio show each day can be wearing. And again, Bill Press is 79 and may not want to do a live radio show every morning at 7 a.m. anymore.

Here's the schedule for Progressive Talk KTNF 950 Minneapolis.

http://www.am950radio.com/am-950-schedule/

I see it runs several syndicated shows including Rick Unger, Brad Friedman and David Pakman. Pakman does a daily You Tube one hour show, whose audio is syndicated as a radio show. KTNF also runs Democracy Now!, a one hour news and interview show, mostly heard on Pacifica stations. So a Progressive Talk station can cobble together a full day schedule of programming, but it's getting harder.

Point is, talk radio is dying.

Now, just as talk's success in the 90s meant that suddenly AM was filled with lots of third and fourth-tier syndicated shows, there are a lot of bad podcasts out there, especially since the cost of entry is so low.

But talk radio is dying, and that's why you don't see a whole lot of effort being put into program development. The effort to find the next big thing is happening where the growth is.

SO where is your proof that talk radio is dying, there is still plenty of talk stations still around

Yes, I see Norman Goldman has given up his show. He's an attorney as well, so I can understand doing three hours of a radio show each day can be wearing. And again, Bill Press is 79 and may not want to do a live radio show every morning at 7 a.m. anymore.

Here's the schedule for Progressive Talk KTNF 950 Minneapolis.

http://www.am950radio.com/am-950-schedule/

That might be correct, think about it he has done it for at least 14 years now, and still as far as I am aware of no official replacement has been named and his final show is next Friday. And I am sure daily radio show is tiring, but it is not like Norman Goldman did a morning show. And I am sure that he is glad he only has to do his main job, without having a daily early evening show or late afternoon show to prepare for.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom