Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats the story with "Free Talk Radio"?

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post

Is he Croatian?
    Wikipedia says: "Kuhner was born in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, to Croatian immigrant parents."

Romanian -- hence the preferred name for Gypsies: Roma.
    Actually when I think of gypsies, I think of Hungary, but I think many people can come under this broad definition:

"a member of a traveling people traditionally living by itinerant trade and fortune telling."

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimmmex View Post
    Actually when I think of gypsies, I think of Hungary, but I think many people can come under this broad definition:

"a member of a traveling people traditionally living by itinerant trade and fortune telling."
    Heck, there are 800,000 Romani in Brazil. The population is much more dispersed than just Hungary.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

Heck, there are 800,000 Romani in Brazil. The population is much more dispersed than just Hungary.
    Dispersed, of course. Traveling is what they do. But where did they originate? One people in one specific country or other geographical area or several peoples from several places who developed the lifestyle and culture independently?

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Dispersed, of course. Traveling is what they do. But where did they originate? One people in one specific country or other geographical area or several peoples from several places who developed the lifestyle and culture independently?
    There are some pretty good historical thumbnails of the Romani people in the Internet, and even the wiki article seems quite good at giving an overview.

Over a millennium ago, they apparently migrated from areas in India (thus the origin of their language) and move over various routes into southern and central Europe.

Sadly, they were as much a victim of the Holocaust as the Jews, being virtually eradicated from the German territories. Similarly, the Inquisitions of Spain and Portugal either killed or forced into exile many who were in Hispania.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Krazy K000nah is Canadian... His grandfather/parents migrated from Croatia during WWII, after being denied immigration to the United States. He talks often about his family's experience under the communists, and his family's experiences with "universal health care" in Canada. In these respects, I find his insight and commentary wonderful. I just wish he'd temper the low-brow / drama queen antics -- but I guess he has to play to his audience, which doesn't say much for their intellect.
    I'm not a broadcast radio industry professional (PG/DB by day, HA by night), but, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express one evening. Now working FT8 on 20/40/80m!

What happened to Free Talk Live? Last nite RKO was broadcasting John Batchelor - I turned the radio on just after midnite and heard him. RKO schedule isn't updated for this week yet so FTL still appears on the schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Tired Of It All View Post
    What happened to Free Talk Live? Last nite RKO was broadcasting John Batchelor - I turned the radio on just after midnite and heard him.
    Are you sure that was RKO that you had on? Talk1200 has been carrying Batchelor after midnight lately.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Cap-n Spackle View Post

Are you sure that was RKO that you had on? Talk1200 has been carrying Batchelor after midnight lately.
    Seriously?? Of course I'm sure. The radio in the bedroom is set to RKO. I got out of bed and turned the radio on in the kitchen which is tuned to Talk1200 and Batchelor was NOT on.......I don't remember the name of the program but it definitely was not Batchelor.......when I first turned on RKO I thought the program manager or someone screwed up that's why I got out of bed to check Talk1200. It took RKO four, count 'em FOUR weeks to straighten out their Saturday nite programming and after all was said and done, they still screwed up. They claimed they had "technical issues" so they couldn't record, download and air Gun Talk and Cigar Dave...this past Saturday nite they did air Gun Talk and instead of airing Cigar Dave's program from the 25th they aired the one from the week before (the 18th)... so.....when I heard Batchelor on RKO I just figured they screwed up recording/downloading and airing Free Talk Live so instead they put on Batchelor......someone screwed up because he wasn't on Talk1200 either, at least not after midnite.

Seriously?? Of course I'm sure. The radio in the bedroom is set to RKO.
    OK, calm down. Just checking.
    I got out of bed and turned the radio on in the kitchen which is tuned to Talk1200 and Batchelor was NOT on...
    Wouldn't it have been easier to change the channel in the bedroom to check 1200 than to walk to the kitchen?
    --

What happened to Free Talk Live? Last nite RKO was broadcasting John Batchelor
    Yesterday was a holiday. Perhaps FTL had a day off. I know I had a day off.

Some of us in the biz actually get days off. Its a wonderful thing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast