• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Classix 107.9 billboards

radiodx10

Leading Participant
Noticed a few billboards along the White Horse Pk in Audubon. Ironically enough, I was already listening to them when I saw the board.

I gotta say, their mix of 70s-80s RnB is superb. My only complaint is they're still in mono, which might be because they're trying to get every inch of coverage they can with their weaker signal.

I am not surprised of the format. But isn't it really eating away WRNB??

I wonder if they're doing package sales for the entire cluster. I'm always half-expecting to hear that they're gonna gonna sell some of their Philly stations or leave the market altogether. They must be making enough money to keep them though.

The nice thing about them owning both 100.3 and 107.9 is that 107.9 is all older music to avoid stepping on 100.3.
Both of them target WDAS

I wonder if they're doing package sales for the entire cluster. I'm always half-expecting to hear that they're gonna gonna sell some of their Philly stations or leave the market altogether. They must be making enough money to keep them though.

I believe DavidEduardo mentioned that the small signals of 103.9 and 107.9 bill as well if not better than the full-market signal of 104.5.

That's not nothing!

Classix is a damn good station. Probably one of the most unique-sounding stations in the market playing some good stuff no one else plays. It can even pass as a good station to listen to in the office or stores along with stations like WBEB, WISX, WOGL, and maybe WBEN can be included in that list too. If they're doing that well on that signal, maybe it should be on a bigger signal. Well, actually it once was, basically, on 100.3 and that didn't do that well. So maybe 107.9 is the right spot for this station. Either way, I like it a lot.

Why don't they go main stream oldies, like WMID....

Oldies is an OK format for a small AM in Atlantic City where most of the business is local and direct.

In Philadelphia, there would be little advertiser interest in an audience that is generally over 60. Agencies don't buy that age group, and much of the radio business in Philly comes via local, regional or national agencies that buy by the numbers.

How does K-Surf serving over 10 million people which just added a translator or KZQZ 50kw serving St Louis, KONO San Antonio, WDJO Cincy, stay afloat, and I'm sure there are others in large markets, I think Buffalo just got one.

How does K-Surf serving over 10 million people which just added a translator or KZQZ 50kw serving St Louis, KONO San Antonio, WDJO Cincy, stay afloat, and I'm sure there are others in large markets, I think Buffalo just got one.

KSRF does not server 10 million people. It has a limited signal, covering less than 3 million people well. And the owner, who is the wealthy licensee of KKGO (FM), says it does not even bill enough to cover the electric bill. He keeps the format because he can, not because it makes money. The translator covers less than 50,000 people and is up in the hills of Calabasas way, way removed from the city of LA.

KZQZ is part of a group that took Bonneville's dog... a highly directional station way up on 1430... and added it to a whole pack of dog stations, several of which are not even on the air. I believe it just barely covers costs and reportedly bills less than $18,000 a month.

KONO is the AM of a very successful FM which is part of a very successful cluster. It is tossed in as a bonus on FM buys, and sells a bit to local accounts. It gets about a 0.3 share and bills next to nothing... maybe $8,000 a month.

WDJO, even with three FM translators, does not get enough listening to meet the minimum requirement for listing in the Nielsen report. It does get some small business support, but it's a 5 kw day and 300 watt night AM at the wrong end of the dial.

None of these stations is a full facility FM in a top 10 market. They are all nearly valueless AM stations, with little hope of being significantly profitable.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom