• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

omnia presets

andy193

Hi to all processor enthusiasts ! I am newbie and have a question regarding the omnia volt. I am still playing with the pre-sets, on some days I enjoy an aggressive pre-set and less aggressive with other musical formats. we are a small market radio station and playlist everything from new country, CHR and classic rock. any thoughts on a best overall pre-set for all formats. I understand there is give and take with multiple formats. Thanking you in advance !

Hi to all processor enthusiasts ! I am newbie and have a question regarding the omnia volt. I am still playing with the pre-sets, on some days I enjoy an aggressive pre-set and less aggressive with other musical formats. we are a small market radio station and playlist everything from new country, CHR and classic rock. any thoughts on a best overall pre-set for all formats. I understand there is give and take with multiple formats. Thanking you in advance !

My only advise for anyone setting up processing is to remember that your competition is no longer just the other same-format radio station across town. Streaming and services like iTunes are just as much a threat. Over-processing in an attempt to start a loudness war is a losing strategy. This isn't the 70's anymore. When your listener during their day flips back and forth from music on their phone to hearing the same song on the radio, but the radio audio is noticeably distorted with no dynamic range because YOU think it sounds bad-ass, will do nothing more than drive that listener away from listening to the radio.
Smart engineers and programmers will try and maintain the dynamics and nuances of the music as true to the un-processed sound as possible. Jack in too much high frequency sizzle and density, you will kill your TSL.

thanks kelly, i totally agree. I recall FM in the 70s and 80s which was very natural sounding. we always air wave files, however CHR has obvious quirks such has distortion and zero stereo depth etc. In our area loudness wars is not an issue thankfully !

Since you don't appear to be in an overly-competitive area, a decent processor should be able to give you a good overall sound.

IMO, you need a system that can handle punchy bass and short high frequency bursts without holes being shot into the audio. Most processors will do this, but some will not, at least without being set more aggressively than it appears you want.

For FM, I prefer a minimum of 5 bands in the compression and limiting stages. In my view, this allows the audio to be cut up into enough bands where the vagaries of each can be controlled without affecting areas that don't need aggressive control. For AM, I usually go with at least 4, depending on conditions.

It's all personal preference though. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, looking for the perfect box, I'd buy a copy of Stereo Tool and run it on a computer with HD audio (192 kHz rate). That will allow you to generate a composite output, right out of the computer, that will drive many exciters directly.

Stereo Tool has enough gadgets, gimmicks and adjustments to get most anyone into very serious trouble. On the other hand, it has a lot of presets that make good starting points. Find one that's close to what you're looking for, then you can (carefully) trim it over time.

Since you don't appear to be in an overly-competitive area, a decent processor should be able to give you a good overall sound.

IMO, you need a system that can handle punchy bass and short high frequency bursts without holes being shot into the audio. Most processors will do this, but some will not, at least without being set more aggressively than it appears you want.

For FM, I prefer a minimum of 5 bands in the compression and limiting stages. In my view, this allows the audio to be cut up into enough bands where the vagaries of each can be controlled without affecting areas that don't need aggressive control. For AM, I usually go with at least 4, depending on conditions.

It's all personal preference though. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, looking for the perfect box, I'd buy a copy of Stereo Tool and run it on a computer with HD audio (192 kHz rate). That will allow you to generate a composite output, right out of the computer, that will drive many exciters directly.

Stereo Tool has enough gadgets, gimmicks and adjustments to get most anyone into very serious trouble. On the other hand, it has a lot of presets that make good starting points. Find one that's close to what you're looking for, then you can (carefully) trim it over time. Save your work as a new preset as you go along. That lets you go back to the last good one, if you overdo something.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom