Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey Sarge

Hey Sarge

Congrats on replacing Curelop at KZOK, but "I Melt With You" ain't Classic Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by AQH View Post
    Congrats on replacing Curelop at KZOK, but "I Melt With You" ain't Classic Rock.
    It's 37 years old and it got played on rock radio back then. How is it not classic rock in 2019?

In 1983 it got to number 7 on the "Rock Albums and Top Tracks" Chart, which is known as the "Mainstream Rock" chart today. It made it as high as number 78 on the Billboard Hot 100 that year. Obviously a much bigger "rock" track than anything else. Probably a bigger "rock" chart hit than many of the "classics" they spin over on Seattle's Classic Rock Station!

I heard that today and was very surprised. While it might be old enough and was on some charts, it was never played on the likes of KISW or KZOK at the time. Classic New Wave, yes. Classic Rock, eh, no. In my opinion of course. I wonder what the response (if any) to the station was?

By the way, what happened to Curelop?

Quote Originally Posted by placebo1969 View Post
    Classic New Wave, yes. Classic Rock, eh, no.
    I always considered New Wave part of the evolution of rock, although some acts associated with the subgenre were more poppish than others. If you consider the Pretenders to have been New Wave, does that make their huge pop hit "Back on the Chain Gang" rock? Did the band get played at all on your favorite stations of the late '70s/early '80s? They certainly recorded plenty of other songs that would fit more comfortably into your smaller "rock" pigeonhole. How about Blondie, Talking Heads, The Cure? I remember listening to all those acts as well as Aerosmith, J. Geils, ZZ Top on the same radio stations then. Surely their rock credentials can't be questioned. I say all of it is classic rock today.

Regardless of what others might think does or does not belong on KZOK, I always thought it was more of a balancing act to program both a Classic Hits and a Classic Rock station in the same cluster without cannibalizing each other. Regardless of whether the above mentioned song belongs on KZOK, KJR-FM has been playing it for years, and now that they're under the same ownership, I would either not play it at all or play it very infrequently on KZOK to avoid as much overlap as possible with KJR-FM.

Quote Originally Posted by placebo1969 View Post
    By the way, what happened to Curelop?
    IHeart has been quietly shedding salaries, part of exiting bankruptcy protection. Curelop was released a month ago, as was someone in production.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    I always considered New Wave part of the evolution of rock, although some acts associated with the subgenre were more poppish than others. If you consider the Pretenders to have been New Wave, does that make their huge pop hit "Back on the Chain Gang" rock? Did the band get played at all on your favorite stations of the late '70s/early '80s? They certainly recorded plenty of other songs that would fit more comfortably into your smaller "rock" pigeonhole. How about Blondie, Talking Heads, The Cure? I remember listening to all those acts as well as Aerosmith, J. Geils, ZZ Top on the same radio stations then. Surely their rock credentials can't be questioned. I say all of it is classic rock today.
    Just because you remember listening to something in the 1980s, it doesn’t mean it’s Classic Rock. If 1980s New Wave is the qualifier, then KZOK should be playing “Hungry Like The Wolf” after “Black Dog.” Then they’re sounding like Jack.

I would have said “Stairway to Heaven”, but KZOK doesn’t even play that anymore (another brilliant move).

They played Stairway to Heaven on the HD-2 channel when it was "Deep Cuts" which was a great format. Whatever they have on there now is like a harder version of Jack... Random programming that sounds like no thought at all was given to the playlist. I would like the Deep Cuts back please, Sarge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast