Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain Makes It 3 In A Row!

Mountain Makes It 3 In A Row!

In the totally insignificant 6+ ratings for April, KYOT is Number One-est for the third month in a row. https://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb057 Three stations featuring Adult Hits, Classic Rock, and Classic Hits score with a combined 17.2 share. KTAR widens its lead over KFYI, while Mother Hubbard mines even more nuggets with Oldies 92~Seven. In the Sports Parking Lot arena, only KMVP matters with lights out at the rest of the Parking Lots. KJZZ and KBAQ are winners for Maricopa Community College, and KJZZ HD~Too grabs a half share.
    Dr. Akbar 'n Nurse Jeff
    The Middle Eastern Men of the Media
    Buckeye, AZ

Now in our 19th year of posting totally irrelevant comments. Someone had to do it!

Yay for KJZZ-HD2!

What is the method by which these ratings are derived? Does some entity send out surveys to selected individuals or households? Do they connect a box to a selectee’s radio receiver? Is it an estimate based on social media posts? Do radio stations report when someone physically walks into station HQ and says, “Hey! I listened to your station for more than 15 minutes yesterday at 10AM!”??

Quote Originally Posted by DrAkbar View Post
    Three stations featuring Adult Hits, Classic Rock, and Classic Hits score with a combined 17.2 share.
    Adult Hits, Classic Rock and Classic Hits?!?!?!?!? The Olde Fartes are going to take over the world!!!!!!!
    Illegitimi non carborundum

When the Mountain first came out, I didn't like it. Didn't like the presentation (still don't like the voice guy), the fact that it's mostly a juke box, and the fact that it was a low-rent version of the Peak obviously thrown together when TMISU abandoned that format for sports.

They've grown on me over the years. Maybe it's that absence (of anything better) makes the heart grow fonder. Maybe it's because they've figured out what they really are and have fined-tuned that formula. Maybe it's the fact that the stations on either side of them are too busy fighting over who plays more 80's.

I think it's that last one, with a little of the first two thrown in. As a listener, I don't care what you tell me you play, but what you actually play. KOOL beats me over the head telling me how much more 80's they play, while KEZ seems to be playing a Madonna song almost every time I stop on their station. Does the Mountain really "play everything?" No. But more often than not they're playing a song that I - being squarely in the upper regions of the target demo - actually want to hear.

Is this the result of some boiler room full of number-crunchers at iHeart headquarters applying a finely-tuned algorithm to anticipate my listening habits? Probably. But at the end of the day - again as a listener - I don't care. And neither do the people who hold the meters. They want to hear the song they like, not be told that the station plays the songs they like.

KYOT is successful because they're giving the audience what they want. It's the oldest trick in the book.

I shudder to think how successful the station would be if they added personalities...

Quote Originally Posted by Deus Ex Machiato View Post

KYOT is successful because they're giving the audience what they want. It's the oldest trick in the book.
    Couldn't agree more.

I shudder to think how successful the station would be if they added personalities...
    Couldn't disagree more. The lack of personalities really sets The Mountain apart from all the other stations chasing Classic Hits/Classic Rock/Adult Hits. All more talk would do is phuck things up.
    Dr. Akbar 'n Nurse Jeff
    The Middle Eastern Men of the Media
    Buckeye, AZ

Now in our 19th year of posting totally irrelevant comments. Someone had to do it!

Quote Originally Posted by DrAkbar View Post
    Couldn't disagree more. The lack of personalities really sets The Mountain apart from all the other stations chasing Classic Hits/Classic Rock/Adult Hits. All more talk would do is phuck things up.
    I'm gonna have to one-up you on disagreement, there, Doc.

The annoying voice guy is - for all intents and purposes - the most prominent "personality" on the station (sorry, Mountain Man Jay), and I think more personality would benefit them rather than hurt them.

The former Coyote is like a restaurant that has really great food, but the service is...meh. What if they could serve up the same menu, but with engaging waiters and waitresses who didn't interfere too much with the meal, but added a level of service that nobody else is doing? An unobtrusive but talented mid-day jock would be great for that station.

Of course this is all academic because iHeart will never pony up the cash to hire talent to push the Mountain over the...well...hill, but I think they're succeeding not because of a lack of personalities, but in spite of it.

KYOT reminds me somewhat of the pop stations (there were eventually two FMs, as I recall) where I grew up that was a small market dominated by country music. They play a pretty wide range of music which means pretty good variety but quite a bit of stuff I don’t like along with what I do. So sometimes I listen, sometimes I don’t. If I’m not listening to KJZZ, I'm most likely to be on KOOL because I like KOOL-HD1 + HD3 better than any other single-freq combo in that genre.

I’m conflicted as to whether I’d prefer a little more host time on The Mountain or not. Sometimes I think I’d like a bit more host from them, but other times I think I don’t. And as far as what a station tells me they do vs what they do, it sounds similarly silly to me whether the one tells me how much 80s music they play or the other tells me how they play whatever _they_ want.

The Mountain’s voice is the guy who played Buckman in Down Periscope, isn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by bulwnkl View Post
    I’m conflicted as to whether I’d prefer a little more host time on The Mountain or not. Sometimes I think I’d like a bit more host from them, but other times I think I don’t. And as far as what a station tells me they do vs what they do, it sounds similarly silly to me whether the one tells me how much 80s music they play or the other tells me how they play whatever _they_ want.
    I think I've heard a jock on The Mountain in Vegas (same voice guy, same everything else otherwise) and it didn't really add anything to the experience.

Unless you're going to add a real entertainer, a modern-day Dave Pratt or Bruce Kelly (not suggesting they make a comeback, suggesting you find today's equivalent) that's going to engage the audience, there's no point in adding a jock to a jockless variety hits station for the purpose of reading sales liners. It's just adding clutter.
    The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers. Retweets are not endorsements.

Does anyone have any idea why country has declined so terribly in Phoenix ratings? For years KNIX was at the top and KMLE was not far behind. Is it the fact that the country music coming out today is crap? Or maybe KNIX and KMLE are just badly programmed?

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANager View Post
    Does anyone have any idea why country has declined so terribly in Phoenix ratings? For years KNIX was at the top and KMLE was not far behind. Is it the fact that the country music coming out today is crap? Or maybe KNIX and KMLE are just badly programmed?
    Or maybe the demographics of Phoenix have changed.

The market is now 35% Hispanic, and 6% African American and 5% Asian. And it's growth has been principally fueled by the influx of people not from the state...

Of course, country has become an 18-34 and 18-49 format while it was mostly an older leaning one back when those two stations were dominant.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast