• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

April ratings are here

I disagree. KFNC is exceptionally bad. It is the worst commercial fm rimshot in the market. The booster isn't helping matters west of downtown.

As far as the price, I think KHJK went for exactly 5 Million while KFNC went for a bit more. But of course that is from memory, so you could be right.

Back in the day, KFNC outperformed KHJK by a slim margin. This was when both sites were well maintained, their transmitters tuned for minimum AM noise, etc.

From a technical standpoint, the sites are nearly identical. I strongly suspect any advantage KHJK has over KFNC is a matter of paying attention to details like keeping AM noise to a minimum, making sure the transmitter is at full power, etc.

Agreed on the booster. That idea has been kicked around and tried by a few other rimshots here, all with no success.

Of the rimshots that moved from Beaumont / Port Arthur into Houston, it appeared that 98.5 had the best signal to the west. When KWIC (107.9) first moved to the transmitter site near Devers, it could often not be heard in Beaumont and their staff joked that only the rabbits in the field by the transmitter could hear it. 93.3, 98.5 and 107.9 seem to have better transmitter locations than 97.5.

Agreed on the booster. That idea has been kicked around and tried by a few other rimshots here, all with no success.

The “booster” has actually made the KFNC signal WORSE. The two transmitters clash with each other resulting in a lot of noise. The signal used to be much cleaner. I have to wonder if Gow engineers have any grasp of radio propagation characteristics.

Years ago, after the Houston move-in, 97.5 was pretty much equivalent to the other eastern rimshots. Not so today.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom