Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: The Next Generation of Classic Rock

  1. #1

    The Next Generation of Classic Rock

    WFOX 95.9, in nearby Fairfield County CT, has made a format shift. The Connoisseur owned classic rock station has dropped 60's and 70's music. They will now focus on rock from the 80's-2000's.
    This seems to be a logical move. Not only does it help attract a younger audience, but it differentiates them from WBAB and Q 104.3.
    As Q 104.3 continues to do well in the ratings, I guess they will not be making such a move anytime soon. But it is refreshing to hear a greater variety of the less ancient rock.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    WFOX 95.9, in nearby Fairfield County CT, has made a format shift. The Connoisseur owned classic rock station has dropped 60's and 70's music. They will now focus on rock from the 80's-2000's.
    This seems to be a logical move. Not only does it help attract a younger audience, but it differentiates them from WBAB and Q 104.3.
    As Q 104.3 continues to do well in the ratings, I guess they will not be making such a move anytime soon. But it is refreshing to hear a greater variety of the less ancient rock.
    It is about time. They should have done this 20+ years ago. There were/are too many other stations covering the 60's and 70's with a better signals. They did a piss poor job playing or should I sat beating those same songs to death from day one that made the station un-listenable.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerock View Post
    It is about time. They should have done this 20+ years ago. There were/are too many other stations covering the 60's and 70's with a better signals. They did a piss poor job playing or should I sat beating those same songs to death from day one that made the station un-listenable.
    How long will it take the tight new playlist to become the same old, same old to the audience that now complains about '60s/'70s classic rock's stagnant nature? Connoisseur is not known for being musically adventurous.

  4. #4
    Those same played to death songs from the 60s/70s will get better ratings than 80s-2000s. By the 80s, rock was starting to fragment, and stations that were playing current rock at that time, like WNEW-FM, were starting to see their ratings drop. That's not a good strategy if the goal is to get younger demos. The classic rock station in Philly just jumped to #1 again (beating classic hits WOGL), and it's likely to be #1 in 18-24 again.

  5. #5
    As mainstream classic rock stations WBAB and WAXQ can be clearly heard in much of Fairfield County CT., this change will at least differentiate the station. I always thought of The Fox as yet another classic rock station, and as mentioned above, even more repetitious than the others.
    Anyone know if the music being played is similar to that of co-owned The Shark, on Long Island?

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Those same played to death songs from the 60s/70s will get better ratings than 80s-2000s. By the 80s, rock was starting to fragment, and stations that were playing current rock at that time, like WNEW-FM, were starting to see their ratings drop. That's not a good strategy if the goal is to get younger demos. The classic rock station in Philly just jumped to #1 again (beating classic hits WOGL), and it's likely to be #1 in 18-24 again.
    The music from that period is really showing it's age. Saying they should stick to it is similar to saying CBS-FM should have stuck with 50's and 60's. Look at CBS-FM's ratings now compared to where they were.

    I just can't see how they can continue to get younger demos since the contrast between music between the 90s and now, is small compared the aged music between the 60's and 70's. I am not talking about repetition or that it is played out, it is a dated and aged genre. It is coming close to being aged like Doo Woop or the youth of today enjoying the Beatles like someone in the 80s would enjoy Big Band music. They may like it but it is not going to draw the numbers or be their main stay.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerock View Post
    The music from that period is really showing it's age. Saying they should stick to it is similar to saying CBS-FM should have stuck with 50's and 60's.
    They would have, but the demos went too high. That's not the problem with classic rock. Rock ages better than pop. We've studied in side by side.

    The current generation prefers 60s/70s rock to the pop music of the same era. And the older demos have tired of the old rock, while they haven't of old pop. This is great for classic rock stations, bad for oldies stations.

    Meanwhile 80s/90s rock is closer to alternative rock. Which is why alt stations tend to draw on it.

  8. #8
    Well, maybe I will try again tomorrow. I used to be able to receive them here in Rockland but maybe whatever conditions going on this time of year since I am only getting some NPR station. Did not listen long enough to wait for an ID.

  9. #9
    Connoisseur is tweaking a second station this week. WKJY 98.3 on Long island is bringing back its old moniker, KJoy. According to the RadioInsight, The PD said they will be playing "Pop hits with instant familiarity." I don't know whether this indicates any significant change in their A/C playlist. They will use the slogan, "Long Island's Place to relax," which may (or may not) mean they will be a soft a/c.
    The station will apparently be down to two radio personalities during weekdays. So they are moving the syndicated John Tesh show to 5 pm, the middle of afternoon drive.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Those same played to death songs from the 60s/70s will get better ratings than 80s-2000s. By the 80s, rock was starting to fragment, and stations that were playing current rock at that time, like WNEW-FM, were starting to see their ratings drop. That's not a good strategy if the goal is to get younger demos. The classic rock station in Philly just jumped to #1 again (beating classic hits WOGL), and it's likely to be #1 in 18-24 again.
    I'm hearing most classic rock stations centered in the 80s, with a couple of 70s songs an hour and a couple of 90s songs an hour. Zep and the Stones still are represented, but the Beatles, Doors, and Hendrix are fading away at some stations. You still can't get away from Steve Miller and Elton John, but the top testing song at a classic rock station I know is "Under The Bridge" for whatever that's worth.
    The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers. Retweets are not endorsements.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

     
Useful Contacts
Community


123