• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Doris Day

Que sera sera my friend. RIP. One of the last great golden age legends has left us for the heavens.

I wonder if America's Best Music will play her music? They added some of her songs when they moved back in a traditional direction a few years ago. They haven't played her lately.

I saw no reason to watch movies when I was a teenager but now I wish I had. WRET, the independent station, advertised that they had movies every night and I now realize one of those stars they showed was her. I think I would have liked those movies. Watching movies on individual stations was something I started doing in the mid-90s.

Doris Day had a great voice. She was also a wonderful actress and an animal rights advocate. RIP, dear Doris.

A great singer and actress. She also endured serious hardship with grace, and definitely did not get the adulation she often deserved, and that is not too strong a term. She was an ardent animal welfare advocate. Her menagerie came from strays that she picked up along the way wherever she went. She also won appeal after appeal when a shyster lawyer participated in swindling her husband out of her hard earned money which left her destitute when her husband died. The guy spent decades trying to get out of the judgment that he had to pay her - all the way to the United States Supreme Court, where they just refused to hear it in the 80s.

The obit mentions her only child was a son Terry Melcher, who died 15 years ago. Terry was a very successful record producer in the 60s, with hits by The Byrds, Paul Revere & The Raiders, and many more. He had a long friendship with the Beach Boys, and a bizarre encounter with Charles Manson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Melcher

Nothing so far on WNAM other than news stories but they ddi mention "Calamity Jane". That is one movie of hers I did see and enjoyed. They showed it to us in the auditorium in junior high school.

I remember many of her great movies, her terrific voice but perhaps I remember
her best when she stood by Rock Hudson as he suffered from AIDS. She was
that kind of person and that kind of lady.

The BBC noon(EDT) Global report did about a 5 minute biography on Doris Day, which included the following:

Day, aged 89, released My Heart in the United Kingdom on September 5, 2011, her first new album in nearly two decades, since the release of The Love Album, which, although recorded in 1967, was not released until 1994.[95] The album is a compilation of previously unreleased recordings produced by Day's son, Terry Melcher, before his death in 2004. Tracks include the 1970s Joe Cocker hit "You Are So Beautiful", the Beach Boys' "Disney Girls" and jazz standards such as "My Buddy", which Day originally sang in her 1951 film I'll See You in My Dreams;

Also she did an interview with the Hollywood Reporter, just about 5 weeks ago (April 5,2019) and among other things in that interview did mention that her favorite movie was “Calamity Jane”.

RIP Doris Duke - 1922-2019.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned her tv sitcom in detail.

It aired on CBS from 1968-1973 as simply "The Doris Day Show", mostly on Monday night through its run. It had its best season in 1969-70 when it followed Mayberry RFD, and led into Carol Burnett. I vaguely remember watching it as a kid. She seemed beautiful even at that stage of her career. Ultimately, ratings were a problem and it was canceled.

Last edited:
I did think about that today. In 5 years the Doris Day Show went through several format and cast changes, from Doris Martin as a widow with two sons living on a ranch with her father (Denver Pyle), to Doris commuting to work in San Francisco (this made necessary by CBS's "rural purge"), to Doris and the kids living in San Francisco, to Doris being the same character suddenly as a swinging single with no kids. The show did last 5 seasons (which surprised me)

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned her tv sitcom in detail.

It aired on CBS from 1968-1973 as simply "The Doris Day Show", mostly on Monday night through its run. It had its best season in 1969-70 when it followed Mayberry RFD, and led into Carol Burnett. I vaguely remember watching it as a kid. She seemed beautiful even at that stage of her career. Ultimately, ratings were a problem and it was canceled.

I saw a promo slide for the "Doris Day Show" online today with McLean Stevenson standing next to Doris. Being too young to really remember much of the late 60's/early 70s show, guess I never knew McLean was in it. According to Wiki, he was only in Seasons 2 and 3.

I knew she had a sitcom but I never watched it. Apparently it was on too late at night when it started, and I didn't usually start watching a show I hadn't watched from the beginning.

But Denver Pyle on a ranch? I would have liked that.

I remember Lucille Ball had kids who mysteriously disappeared.

Kids disappearing, never to be spoken of again, just like Chuck Cunningham would a couple of years later.

I knew she had a sitcom but I never watched it. Apparently it was on too late at night when it started, and I
didn't usually start watching a show I hadn't watched from the beginning.

But Denver Pyle on a ranch? I would have liked that.

I remember Lucille Ball had kids who mysteriously disappeared.

Supposedly the teen girl who was on The Lucy Show got more fan mail than Ball herself,
prompting a bit of jealousy and a writing-out from the show.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom