Thread: Beasley Media

Beasley Media

Do you see Beasley Changing the formats on their Philadelphia stations anytime soon

When was the last time they changed formats at one of their stations? It's not something they do.

That's more of an iHeart approach. Blow things up, let people go, start all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by CassChopper96 View Post
    Do you see Beasley Changing the formats on their Philadelphia stations anytime soon
    Very doubtful

WMMR is a top biller in Philadelphia.

WMGK performs solidly.

WXTU is the only country station in Philly.

WBEN is run on the cheap and pulls in decent money.

WPEN, while the second run sports station in Philly, they have the rights to the Sixers and Flyers.

IF you include the AM stations (610 ESPN, 860 WWDB and 800 WTMR), I still don't see any of their stations flipping.

It's an interesting thought exercise. Under Beasley's management, the last station of consequence in Philly they changed format on was...I think 96.5? Greater Media had their merry-go-rounds with 95.7 and 97.5, sure, but finally both settled down for long runs. WMGK was more evolution than full-on format change, at least from the '70s format through to classic rock. So both past and present ownership of "the cluster now known as Beasley" has an overall judicious approach to managing formats.

iHeart and predecessors really only had the problem children at 104.5 and 106.1. WRFF has similarly settled in for a respectable length run, and perhaps they've finally solved the 106 conundrum. (Time will tell.) Q, Power, WDAS...all steady and more or less solid (given cyclical trends) through their various owners leading into iHeart.

Steady as she goes.

Quote Originally Posted by AbrahamJSimpson View Post
    It's an interesting thought exercise. Under Beasley's management, the last station of consequence in Philly they changed format on was...I think 96.5?
    Seems about right. Counting out the tiny AM stations, Beasley didn't change 92.5 at all. 96.5 had the flip from Talk to 80s "96.5 the Point," which morphed into Hot AC... then the flip to Wild/Wired 96.5. It had different flavors of Rhythmic CHR over a decade... but held it's own until CBS came along and re-imaged it to Amp.

They shouldn't have any pending changes on their hands with the old-Greater Media cluster (now with added XTU Goodness!).

Abraham's right. Philly FM radio is in a weird steady spot right now

It’s interesting in that we don’t seem to see the “dominoes” that occasionally pop up elsewhere. It’s fairly rare for near-immediate changes. I suppose Classix in response to the demise of Real meets that standard. But going back, the last multi-station move I can think of was the 104.5/106 shadow casting period as both moved in new directions.

I don't get it. A month ago, on April Fools Day, Beasley's WBEN went all-TV tunes for a day, and the general view was negative. Memorial Day is coming up, and you'll likely hear a lot of military songs on WXTU. What other changes do people want?

Quote Originally Posted by AbrahamJSimpson View Post
    It’s interesting in that we don’t seem to see the “dominoes” that occasionally pop up elsewhere. It’s fairly rare for near-immediate changes. I suppose Classix in response to the demise of Real meets that standard. But going back, the last multi-station move I can think of was the 104.5/106 shadow casting period as both moved in new directions.
    You could reasonably say that the death of Mix 106 was because of the birth of Today's 96.5.

Then the morph of Today's 96.5 to 96.5 TDY was because of B101.1 joining the Entercom ranks and to not compete with themselves.

So there are still occasional "domino" changes.

I think we're finally in a period of steadiness with Philly FM radio. The only ones with the possibility of a flip down the road might be 96.5 and 97.5. I think for now things stay the same, and that's not bad. We have some really nice variety actually. I love the classic 70s on 107.9, Alt Rock on 104.5 and the 80s-90s mix on 95.7. We have some really good stations honestly.
    Host on Rowan Radio 89.7 WGLS-FM

Radio DX'er- using Grundig Sat. 750, Tecsun PL-880

How would judge Ben fm’s ratings