• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

ONE CLASS ACT!!!!!!!

Prescott Joe

Leading Participant
CBS Evening News Anchor and Buffalo, N.Y. native, Jeff Glor, signed off this evening
telling viewers that Nora O'donnell will soon be anchoring the CBS Evening News
from Washington, D.C. Jeff chose to recognize and honor all his colleagues at CBS
rather than himself. Over time, Jeff has proven himself to be a valuable
"team" player at CBS, moving around as needed. Jeff's family, those in Western
New York and fans around the world are proud of him and his accomplishments.
The final scene on the CBS Evening News was of Buffalo, N.Y., Jeff's hometown.

CBS Evening News Anchor and Buffalo, N.Y. native, Jeff Glor, signed off this evening
telling viewers that Nora O'donnell will soon be anchoring the CBS Evening News
from Washington, D.C. Jeff chose to recognize and honor all his colleagues at CBS
rather than himself. Over time, Jeff has proven himself to be a valuable
"team" player at CBS, moving around as needed. Jeff's family, those in Western
New York and fans around the world are proud of him and his accomplishments.
The final scene on the CBS Evening News was of Buffalo, N.Y., Jeff's hometown.

Yeah I saw that tonight. I agree, classy way to leave. It isn't clear to me that this was his last newscast. Anyone know?

He is smart to stay above the fray and consider his options.

Last I heard, plans were for him to stay with CBS, but they are working on in what capacity.

Yeah I saw that tonight. I agree, classy way to leave. It isn't clear to me that this was his last newscast. Anyone know?

He is smart to stay above the fray and consider his options.

Last I heard, plans were for him to stay with CBS, but they are working on in what capacity.

Unfortunately CBS doesn't have a cable news outlet and CBSN is pretty low budget. He could go back to weekends, he could enlarge his radio presence (he did one newscast on CBS News Radio), and he might do some feature reporting for the other shows. They could try to launch a new weekly news show as NBC tried to do with Brian Williams, but that usually doesn't work. They have to figure out what to do with the NY operation now that the evening news is moving to DC.

Unfortunately CBS doesn't have a cable news outlet and CBSN is pretty low budget. He could go back to weekends, he could enlarge his radio presence (he did one newscast on CBS News Radio), and he might do some feature reporting for the other shows. They could try to launch a new weekly news show as NBC tried to do with Brian Williams, but that usually doesn't work. They have to figure out what to do with the NY operation now that the evening news is moving to DC.
What is the reason to move news to DC?

What is the reason to move news to DC?

The head of CBS News thinks DC will be ground zero for news:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...g-star-anchors-we-had-shake-things-up-1208317

They're just moving the Evening News to DC, and she says they will retain the NY staffing.

My view is it will make it a more disjointed show. It usually helps having everyone in the same place.

Then again, when you watch the cable news channels, they seamlessly move from NY to DC all the time.

The head of CBS News thinks DC will be ground zero for news:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...g-star-anchors-we-had-shake-things-up-1208317

They're just moving the Evening News to DC, and she says they will retain the NY staffing.

My view is it will make it a more disjointed show. It usually helps having everyone in the same place.

Then again, when you watch the cable news channels, they seamlessly move from NY to DC all the time.
How big is the DC bureau, can they move the whole evening news staff to DC? Seems pointless to still staff a full NY headquarters while also fully staffing DC. These seem to be the beginning of rough travel for CBS News.

How big is the DC bureau, can they move the whole evening news staff to DC?

Did you read the article I linked? She says she's not moving the whole staff to DC.

The DC bureau right now is operating in temp space, as their headquarters in DC was just demolished.

Did you read the article I linked? She says she's not moving the whole staff to DC.

The DC bureau right now is operating in temp space, as their headquarters in DC was just demolished.
Why not move the whole evening news staff? Seems way to disjointed to keep half in NY and half in DC.

Why not move the whole evening news staff? Seems way to disjointed to keep half in NY and half in DC.

I'm going to guess that CBS sees a major news opportunity in the upcoming presidential race next year and wants a staff as close as possible to it. We have a reactionary president in office now and he is a newsmaker (even though his credibility is shot).

NY is primarily economic news generating and will probably be easier to report by a remote staff.

Take a look at how the cable channels work. Tucker Carlson is in DC, Hannity is in NY. Chris Matthews is in DC, Maddow is in NY. Wolf is in DC, Anderson in NY.

It will be a challenge to manage, but Zirinsky thinks she can handle it. So it will be up to her to hold it together.

From 1978 till 1983, ABC’s “World News Tonight” was trichotomous: Frank Reynolds in Washington, D.C.; Max Robinson in Chicago; and Peter Jennings in London.

From 1978 till 1983, ABC’s “World News Tonight” was trichotomous: Frank Reynolds in Washington, D.C.; Max Robinson in Chicago; and Peter Jennings in London.

Of course the model was Huntley Brinkley, with Chet in NY and David in DC.

So there's lots of history here. As Zirinksy says, she needed to shake things up. The only problem is they're in temporary studios in DC, and will be there for a while.

I've always been a ABC News Guy, but I DVRed Friday's CBS News just to see Glor's last day. He indeed is a Class Act.

In his short time anchoring the CBS Evening News, I found Jeff Glor
reminiscent of newscasts from years gone by. He reported the news,
without fanfare, without commentary, making the story the "star."
He seemed to shun the spotlight and in doing so, did what all good
journalists should do. I certainly hope CBS has a place for Jeff Glor
and his talents. He would be a nice, youthful addition to "60 Minutes."

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/john-dickerson-cbs-evening-news-1203210797/

Update John Dickerson named to do fill ins at CBS Evening News

John Dickerson will fill in for a week on “CBS Evening News” after current anchor Jeff Glor steps down following this evening’s broadcast, CBS News President Susan Zirinsky told Variety in a brief interview.

Glor will leave “Evening News” after anchoring this evening’s show, and will be replaced by Norah O’Donnell sometime this summer. CBS News expects to use a rotating series of anchors to staff the broadcast until O’Donnell takes over, Zirinsky said.

CBS News announced earlier this week it would overhaul its weekday talent lineup, unveiling new teams for both “CBS This Morning” and “CBS Evening News.” Both programs have seen ratings slump in recent months following changes in their anchor lineups. At “Evening News,” Glor succeeded Scott Pelley and an interim stint by Anthony Mason. At “CBS This Morning,” executives brought John Dickerson and Bianna Golodryga to join Gayle King and O’Donnell following the ouster of previous co-host Charlie Rose following allegations by women he made unwanted sexual advances. Rose has denied the allegations.

Cannot help but wonder why Jeff Glor didn't stay on with the CBS Evening News until
his permanent replacement started. I believe it will be Nora O'Donnell.

Cannot help but wonder why Jeff Glor didn't stay on with the CBS Evening News until
his permanent replacement started. I believe it will be Nora O'Donnell.

Sounds like it wasn't his decision. They probably could have handled it better, especially when May is a sweeps month.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom