Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WNBM 103.9

WNBM 103.9

I get it that this station has a limited signal. But it covers a reasonable portion of the #1 market, and has overall ratings of a mere .3. They run a similar format to WBLS, which has been #2 in the ratings. Apparently fans of urban A/C find that there is no need for an alternative to 107.5.
    Whether or not Cumulus sells it, are there other formats that may work better?

I would LOVE to see K-Love on that dial instead of WPLJ's signal.

Quote Originally Posted by BJSteigner View Post
    I would LOVE to see K-Love on that dial instead of WPLJ's signal.

That wont happen.. 96.7 and 103.9 arent full market signals and thats what klove wants

While this signal is never going to get stellar ratings, perhaps a soft A/C format (resembling The Breeze) would result in a considerable improvement. This has done quite well in several markets, and is relatively inexpensive. And they wouldn't be in competition with an iconic station, such as WBLS.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    This has done quite well in several markets, and is relatively inexpensive. And they wouldn't be in competition with an iconic station, such as WBLS.
    This station clears Tom Joyner in the morning, and DL Hughley in afternoon drive, both of which are syndicated by Cumulus.

So it's very unlikely they'll change formats unless it's sold.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    While this signal is never going to get stellar ratings, perhaps a soft A/C format (resembling The Breeze) would result in a considerable improvement. This has done quite well in several markets, and is relatively inexpensive. And they wouldn't be in competition with an iconic station, such as WBLS.
    More than 50% of the primary coverage area of WNBM is the borough of The Bronx. The Bronx is 54% Hispanic, and nearly 44% African American. Neither of those groups would have much use for a soft AC station. And the immediate surrounding areas to The Bronx also have similar ethnic populations.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

WNBM has a much larger coverage area than you might expect. I have heard them loud and clear out in Morris County and Middlesex County, NJ. We're talking 30+ miles outside the Bronx. With that said, I would not expect anything other than an urban or ethnic format on that station.

Quote Originally Posted by ansky212 View Post
    WNBM has a much larger coverage area than you might expect. I have heard them loud and clear out in Morris County and Middlesex County, NJ. We're talking 30+ miles outside the Bronx. With that said, I would not expect anything other than an urban or ethnic format on that station.
    David uses data showing strength of signal. Chances are WNBM doesn't penetrate workplace (or residence) walls well in the areas you mention, which limits such stations' use by listeners in those area to in the car -- less than 40 percent of total listening -- and outdoors, where most people have no reason to be listening to a radio.

The best use of a local-strength signal like that in the Bronx would probably be a Caribbean format. Ask the pirates, they know.

Cumulus must only care about the station as a way to clear their network shows in "New York".

WNBM's PD Ken Johnson has left the building:

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...-cumulus-media

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast