• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WNJC 1360 back on air after three weeks

Not that literally anyone cares, WNJC is back on. Paul Dilks playing a bunch of Jackson Browne. Who the hell is funding this operation?

I bet you anything they were off not to fix TX issues or audio issues (they still make CB stations sound like CKLW in the 70s). No, they were off air because they're broke and couldn't pay the electric.

Not that literally anyone cares, WNJC is back on. Paul Dilks playing a bunch of Jackson Browne. Who the hell is funding this operation?

I bet you anything they were off not to fix TX issues or audio issues (they still make CB stations sound like CKLW in the 70s). No, they were off air because they're broke and couldn't pay the electric.

How about you check your facts Anthony? I spoke directly to the engineer in charge there.. it was only off 10 days and they took a lighting hit. The engineer turned it back on this morning (Thu May 8th)

It went off on Friday April 26th and the engineer couldn't look at till Sunday, the boards were shipped out that Monday and accidentally sent ground instead of overnight, so that further delayed things.

The engineer in question tells me you probably drive by or near WNJC to get to WGLS.. did you bother checking the tower lights? If they're on the station has power.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, even though I have HD radio, Satellite, Internet and also have access to hundreds of stations and formats, I find myself occasionally tuning them in to bring back the good old AM Radio days. This is only when they are playing music in English, the afternoon guy is fun to listen to, not trying to be professional just having fun like an average Joe. Yesterday afternoon I happen to catch a block of Louie Prima, it was fantastic. It made me think that a good move would be to clean house, start fresh with a Standards/MOR/Oldies full time format, would be a refreshing twist to a stale radio dial.

They were unable to broadcast OTA, but they kept streaming the entire 10 days (which shoots down the 'unable to pay the electric bill' theory')

It made me think that a good move would be to clean house, start fresh with a Standards/MOR/Oldies full time format, would be a refreshing twist to a stale radio dial.

So the solution to something stale is to play stuff that's even more stale.

Standards and MOR, stale on OTA radio? On the contrary, they haven't been heard in most markets for decades. Whether they'd be relevant to today's listeners is a different matter, but it would be something different from the autotune CHR/AC and 300-song Classic Hits outlets.

So the solution to something stale is to play stuff that's even more stale.

It’s almost as if there’s a steady stream of someone new with a hankering for standards among other formats just as soon as a previous one departs. That’s impressive. :)

But really...dear lord, standards?

So, you agree that Iranian folks tunes and Klezmer music wouldn't be considered 'stale' out of the gate?

You said standards would be different. If the goal in radio is to be different, then sure. But that's not the goal.

And it doesn't change my view that playing 70 year old songs is no less stale than playing 30 year old songs. It's a matter of how much stench you can bear.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom