• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Your opinions (pro AND con) on Dave Pratt's Star Worldwide Network?

I did a search on this and, surprisingly, I couldn't find anything on here on Pratt's "current" venture.

Are podcasts like this worth paying for? Your thoughts? :cool:

I did a search on this and, surprisingly, I couldn't find anything on here on Pratt's "current" venture.

Are podcasts like this worth paying for? Your thoughts? :cool:

I have never heard of his show, or have paid for any podcasts, so it is not for me to decide if it is worth paying for them or not. It depends if this is a show you like or plan to listen to a lot, if you don't then it wouldn't be worth paying for. But you realize hosts might have to charge so that way that cana bring in money, even if they have staff to pay. And the same if they aren't with a station and under contact that will pay them to do a podcast, next of all what is the price for the podcast, and do you know what you will be getting maybe even besides hearing his show.

What is there to comment on? Seems like any other podcast network. It looks like they charge program hosts, not listeners.

What is there to comment on? Seems like any other podcast network. It looks like they charge program hosts, not listeners.

Thanks for responding. To clarify, yes, SWN charges to host a podcast. That's what I was referring to. I want to know if this (or something like it) is worth paying $2000 a month for?

Dave Pratt is well known in AZ. broadcast history, and I'm wondering if that's the "average" price to host one? Seems very exorbitant to me, which is likely because of Pratt's name recognition.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if that's the "average" price to host one?

Seems to me if your podcast attracts thousands of downloads, they should be paying you, not the other way around.

On the other hand, if it's a vanity thing with no subscribers, why should they offer you free space?

Podbean offers anywhere from free hosting to $99 a month. That's not an endorsement, just an example.

Dave Pratt is well known in AZ. broadcast history, and I'm wondering if that's the "average" price to host one? Seems very exorbitant to me, which is likely because of Pratt's name recognition.

Pratt is famous in Phoenix (or, at least he used to be), but does that translate to success in the Podcast world? Wouldn't it help to be well-known nationwide?

There are several differences between Podbean and Star Worldwide's offerings. Star Worldwide offers studio time, call screening, production assistance and editing in addition to server space. Podbean only offers server space for your MP3 files and show notes.

A podcast with proper audio quality and editing should perform better in the market place than one which lacks such quality. However, you would have to have a substantial subscriber base to justify that pricing through advertising revenue. A wannabe podcast host could probably build a good home studio for only a couple months worth of Star Worldwide's cost.

Pratt is famous in Phoenix (or, at least he used to be), but does that translate to success in the Podcast world? Wouldn't it help to be well-known nationwide?

Fair point. However, there's no doubt his radio career has helped tremendously with his transition to the "podcast world"--- for better or worse. But I digress. :cool:

There are several differences between Podbean and Star Worldwide's offerings. Star Worldwide offers studio time, call screening, production assistance and editing in addition to server space. Podbean only offers server space for your MP3 files and show notes.

Interesting...that explains the price. I read that Pratt actually owns Star Worldwide, so he may be getting some of those services for free.

Fair point. However, there's no doubt his radio career has helped tremendously with his transition to the "podcast world"--- for better or worse. But I digress. :cool:

Pratt hasn't been on radio for several years, although he did a TV show on KASW/61 for awhile.

Interesting...that explains the price. I read that Pratt actually owns Star Worldwide, so he may be getting some of those services for free.

Pratt does own SWN. He has some well-known AZ. public figures on the network (Pat McMahon, Lin Sue Cooney, and Dan Davis to name a few).

Regarding the price: frankly, I have a hard time believing ANY of them are paying $2000 a month for their podcasts, merely because of WHO they are in media. And most likely, they're the ones who CAN afford to pay that, compared to the "unknown" podcasters on there. :(

Pratt hasn't been on radio for several years, although he did a TV show on KASW/61 for awhile.

Yes, and it was terrible. It started as a one-hour show, then a year later it went to 30 min. Then KASW cancelled it, presumably due to poor ratings.

Fairly or unfairly, it just didn't work on TV. Pratt's "humor" is more annoying than funny, something his critics have said for years. Rightly so, I might add.

Yes, and it was terrible. It started as a one-hour show, then a year later it went to 30 min. Then KASW cancelled it, presumably due to poor ratings.

Fairly or unfairly, it just didn't work on TV. Pratt's "humor" is more annoying than funny, something his critics have said for years. Rightly so, I might add.

Agreed. KTAR vet Brad Cesmat is emulating Pratt's KASW show on Fox Sports Arizona, with his brokered "Football Arizona" show that usually bookends Suns/Diamondbacks/Coyotes games. He has a daily two-hour Internet radio show. I would think that brokering two hours on one of the two local sports radio stations in Phoenix that specialize in selling blocks of airtime would cost less and be more effective than the time buy on Fox Sports Arizona.

Agreed. KTAR vet Brad Cesmat is emulating Pratt's KASW show on Fox Sports Arizona, with his brokered "Football Arizona" show that usually bookends Suns/Diamondbacks/Coyotes games. He has a daily two-hour Internet radio show. I would think that brokering two hours on one of the two local sports radio stations in Phoenix that specialize in selling blocks of airtime would cost less and be more effective than the time buy on Fox Sports Arizona.

FSAZ is available to cable and satellite viewers not only in Arizona, but in parts of Nevada, Utah, and New Mexico. The two Ancient Modulation sports stations that sell block time (KDUS and KQFN) have signals that barely cover the Phoenix area during the day, and fuggetaboutit at night.

I'm willing to bet that Cesmat's show gets better ratings on FSAZ than it would on either 1060 or 1580, not that those ratings are anything to write home about.

FSAZ is available to cable and satellite viewers not only in Arizona, but in parts of Nevada, Utah, and New Mexico. The two Ancient Modulation sports stations that sell block time (KDUS and KQFN) have signals that barely cover the Phoenix area during the day, and fuggetaboutit at night.

I'm willing to bet that Cesmat's show gets better ratings on FSAZ than it would on either 1060 or 1580, not that those ratings are anything to write home about.

But his TV show (like Pratt's was) is horribly produced. It's actually made for the radio! :D One of those stations would still bring a bigger audience than broadcasting from his sports portal site (which is no AZCentral Sports or ArizonaSports.com).

But his TV show (like Pratt's was) is horribly produced. It's actually made for the radio! :D One of those stations would still bring a bigger audience than broadcasting from his sports portal site (which is no AZCentral Sports or ArizonaSports.com).

I agree ES, both are poorly produced. And Pratt hasn't evolved one bit as a "personality", if you will. In many ways, he's still stuck in 1986. And not for the better I might add. :rolleyes:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom