• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio host doesn't like Southern reporter's accent

From the article:
In 2009, during the Eastern Conference Semifinals, Boston Globe columnist Dan Shaughnessy called Triangle residents “a bunch of goobers.”
When CHB is trying to make fun of you, you know you're OK.

Most of those sports are linear. Hockey is not linear. Soccer is similar but its on foot, not skates. Polo is on horses. Skates are much faster, more like cars. You watch hockey players skate around the rink, and it's a lot like cars going around a track, especially when they crash.

WATER polo, not horse polo. Soccer is mostly defensive (see Boomball definition). And if you watch hockey for any length of time you will discover it is not necessarily linear (depends on what type of offense and defense the coach wants to play). The problem with hockey on TV is that the camera always follows the puck and you don't see the entire ice surface. Go to a game and you will see what I mean. Entirely different experience.

That's like the idea that the Ducks had when they had KWIZ in Santa Ana broadcast their games in Spanish back around 1992... they thought that Hispanics would see hockey to be "soccer with weapons" and that they would create a huge fan base instantly.

Didn't work quite that way.

Hockey can best be compared to basketball, not soccer. Similar positions and method of play (except for hockey goalie of course). Hundreds of people have told me over the years they cannot understand hockey but they understand basketball. Doesn't make sense.

And, hockey sticks can be weaponized as can a basketball player's elbows but it supposedly against both sports rules to play that way (although some abuse is tolerated in both sports). Basketball was originally intended to be a game of skill and style but has turned into a brutal physical confrontation with really questionable officiating. Hockey was also once much more skill than physical although it was never intended to be a style sport. Both sports suffered the same changes because of the player's sizes and both would be much better off going back to their original roots. And you could make a similar argument about soccer. It is a great game played by youth but as soon as they learn how to trip, hit and fake injury the game is worthless. All sports would be better off if the beer swilling WWE type "fans" would stick to their bar fights.

BTW, go to a Phoenix Coyotes hockey game these days and the arena is filled with "Hispanics". Especially women. They love the game. Older Hispanic men still seem to prefer soccer.

How many Hispanics actually play hockey? In my view, once you give soccer players weapons it ceases to be soccer. In NASCAR, the car itself is the weapon.

Hockey, unfortunately, is an expensive game to play (both youth and adult) and that limits participation BUT, in the past couple of decades I have seen a much greater mix of races and genders entering youth hockey - and those kids will become future fans (if not already).

And, if you follow NASCAR for any length of time you will find that a driver who uses his vehicle as a weapon (and it does happen) is quickly met with a come to Jesus meeting in the NASCAR hauler and possibly suspension and fines. Sponsors also do not tolerate out of bounds behavior by their drivers. It isn't like the old days.

That team's been around for only 20 years. Vchimpanzee said "traditionally".
View attachment 1279

So, how long does it take to become a "tradition"? The Original Six were part of the origin of professional sport over 100 years ago and the Stanley Cup is the oldest professional sports trophy in existence (outside the Olympics which isn't supposed to be "professional"). For that matter what about MLB originals.....or NFL originals? Nobody seems to bring up this issue with those teams.

yes--Wikipedia:
". In 1999, he (Toettcher) started hosting nights on 99X in Atlanta and eventually worked his way to the morning show. During his time in Atlanta, he lied about dating an Atlanta Falcons cheerleader. In 2006, after getting fired from his show in Atlanta, he and Rich Shertenlieb started The Toucher and Rich Show together on WBCN in Boston. In 2009, the show moved to 98.5 The Sports Hub."
Rich Shertenlieb:
"he started working at 99X in Atlanta and eventually worked his way to Kidd Kraddick in the Morning. During his early years at 99X, he worked as the "street guy" for the 99X Morning X show and hits bits and segments received national recognition. "

I'm pissed off! Toucher and Rich are jerks! Especially when they speak to a hockey reporter from North Carolina!

Yes.I don't listen to these sports talk shows but not surprising...? EEI and Sports Hub must do OK at least with play by play and talk and there are fans of one station or the other who complain about the other station's air talent whenever Globe or Herald does a "sports radio wars" story.
On twitter we joke that EEI's ratings are so low lately that maybe someday they'll keep Sox games but become "Country 93.7" otherwise.
Yeah, kidding.

Whatever is being done, Entercom and Beasley must be raking in some half decent money from them.

No, it's not nice to make fun of regional American accents.
Other than NY, of course. ;)

Regional accents are fine as long as the speaker uses the language correctly. I’m more inclined to make fun of illiteracy in the media.

For a very long time, I've assumed that Fred Toucher's occasional "Grumpy Old Man" routine was just that...a routine...a bit.

But now I'm starting to wonder if that "Grumpy Old Man" persona is a lot closer to the REAL Fred Toucher than any of us might imagine?

starting to wonder
You don't have to. He's been open --probably too much-- about his difficulties. I'm sure he's far from the only market leader with an analyst to go to after the show, on a regular basis.

As far as others telling you what kind of accent --if any-- is alright to listen to? I like what I like and if something is grating on me ... trust me I'm not going to listen.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom