Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Radio host doesn't like Southern reporter's accent

Radio host doesn't like Southern reporter's accent

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...mainstage_lead

True, hockey hasn't been traditionally popular in the South, but this is ridiculous.

They knew when they hung up this would get talked about, so I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

They are getting the attention they sought with zero risk.

Cheap shot, low class stunt.

How would that play if Toucher were to ridicule a hockey reporter because of the color of his skin?

And about the zero risk aspect, it wouldn't surprise me if this might influence the refs to not give the Boston team any benefit of the doubt during the series with Charlotte.

Quote Originally Posted by freqlost View Post
    They knew when they hung up this would get talked about, so I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

They are getting the attention they sought with zero risk.
    Has the sportswriter been heard from on this incident? I wouldn't be surprised it he was in on the whole thing and it was just as funny to him as it was to T&R and their audience. Yes, it wouldn't have worked with a black man on the other end of the line, or one with a heavy Mexican Chinese, Russian, or any other foreign accent on the line, but regional American accents are fair game. I can see some sports talker in the Southeast doing a preview of a Georgia Tech-Boston College game, getting a Boston sportswriter on the phone and then hanging up with the explanation that he can't stand hearing guys with a New England accent talk about college football. And it would get laughs.

a Low class/no class move.

Fred needs to go to Florida, where minor league hockey is a big thing... The Florida Everblades are my "hometown" team and are in the Eastern Conference finals...

Hey Fred... what about Tampa and their NHL team?

The Florida Panthers out of Metro Miami?

How about Arizona? Vegas? Nothing says NHL hockey like the desert and desert heat.

what a doooooooche

This is definitely low class and not connectable. Just what does someone's accent have to do with their sports knowledge? Everyone knows the answer to that.

And this also seems to point out a classic shortcoming of sports commentators on radio as well: a form of shock radio. Just like other pundits full of hot air and not much else this guy Toucher seems to be saying something, ala Trump, to incite the masses and not worthy of his job. Glad I don't have to listen to him. After all, the real experts in this field are from Canada and they definitely do not sound like anyone I've ever heard from BAHstun.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Miami and Tampa are poor examples because deep Southern accents are not standard in either city. Too many people from somewhere else, largely in the North and Midwest, for the drawl to be dominant. As for Arizona, does that state even have an accent? Boston was the first US team in the NHL. Bostonians sound just as convincing talking about the NHL as Canadians do.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    Miami and Tampa are poor examples because deep Southern accents are not standard in either city. Too many people from somewhere else, largely in the North and Midwest, for the drawl to be dominant. As for Arizona, does that state even have an accent?
    Arizona's most common accent is "national standard" (what the radio and TV industries use as their universal accent) unless of course you are talking with one of the multitudes of immigrants (American or International).

A late thought too late for a reply:

Hockey reporters, pundits and commentators today are changing from the good old days. Several females now taking positions as color commentators during games. Former players of color are becoming analysts during games and special programs (Anson Carter comes to mind quickly) and, of course there are several non-north American former players in this category as well.

Like NASCAR, Hockey is no longer a regional game.

Quote Originally Posted by landtuna View Post

Like NASCAR, Hockey is no longer a regional game.
    I've always thought the reason southerners like hockey is because it's similar to NASCAR, with players crashing into each other rather than cars.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast