Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: am970 The Answer

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Linwood View Post
    I’d be surprised if am970 is even turning a profit. Salem’s Christian stations are the cash cows running a steady stream of ministry and related paid programming. Many of the national commercials running on am970 are network ads likely running for free on the station. The morning show has only a small handful of regular sponsors, such as a car dealership and a mom-and-pop restaurant which likely don’t represent massive billings. The trickle of new sponsors tend to quickly disappear, probably due to poor listener-response. I suspect Salem is subsidizing am970, supported also by sister station am570 “The Mission.”
    http://www.insideradio.com/while-you...74883b60e.html

Certainly the cash cow on a per-station basis for Salem is the Christian AC "The Fish". The teaching format is on many more stations, so it's total revenue is higher. "The Answer" is on its second-tier AM stations.

If 970 The Answer wasn't profitable, then Lee Piscopo would be on the street and Hugh Hewitt's morning show would be cleared live in New York. Salem is not there to subsidize anything, given the slim margins of its business.
    "Its music what makes a radio station, and at Live FM, we play the last music around."
    After receiving that copy, I quit the VO industry.

Many of the national commercials running on am970 are network ads likely running for free on the station.
    Free? Nothing is free. They don't carry outside syndication. Salem has its own in-house national sales department. Everything feeds the beast. All of those infomercials make money. They run several college sports teams (basketball & football), and they all make money. The hosts write books published by Salem's publishing wing. Yes conservative talk isn't a big money-maker. It's all about selling drugs, insurance, and credit. Lots of 1-800 numbers. But when you put together all of the various things they do, it works. A friend of mine runs a funeral home. It's not a happy business, but he provides a service, and he makes money. Not unlike what this station does.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Free? Nothing is free. They don't carry outside syndication. Salem has its own in-house national sales department. Everything feeds the beast. All of those infomercials make money. They run several college sports teams (basketball & football), and they all make money. The hosts write books published by Salem's publishing wing. Yes conservative talk isn't a big money-maker. It's all about selling drugs, insurance, and credit. Lots of 1-800 numbers. But when you put together all of the various things they do, it works. A friend of mine runs a funeral home. It's not a happy business, but he provides a service, and he makes money. Not unlike what this station does.
    Commercials, in effect, run for free when they’re part of network buys for their Christian stations. I suspect am970 is a loss leader in order to have a NY presence.

Quote Originally Posted by PTBoardOp94 View Post
    Certainly the cash cow on a per-station basis for Salem is the Christian AC "The Fish". The teaching format is on many more stations, so it's total revenue is higher. "The Answer" is on its second-tier AM stations.

If 970 The Answer wasn't profitable, then Lee Piscopo would be on the street and Hugh Hewitt's morning show would be cleared live in New York. Salem is not there to subsidize anything, given the slim margins of its business.
    With few listeners and sponsors, I don’t see how Piscopo’s show, in particular, could be profitable. How much can a neighborhood restaurant bill? The bulk of the other shows are sponsored by gold, pillows and snakeoil health pills.

Commercials, in effect, run for free when they’re part of network buys for their Christian stations. I suspect am970 is a loss leader in order to have a NY presence.
    The network is owned by Salem. So the money goes into the same pocket.

With few listeners and sponsors, I don’t see how Piscopo’s show, in particular, could be profitable.
    Who cares? As pointed out, if they didn't run him, they'd replace him with Hugh Hewitt, and they'd have fewer positions to sell. At some point, that's what's going to happen.

Keep in mind that this is also a station that does a lot of things it HAS to do, and that includes host-reads of those "My Pillow" ads....
    Dennis Prager, who has a national show on the Salem network, and who I happen to like, disappointed me when he personally endorsed a gold sponsor which he said he did business with. Gold is generally a bad investment. That gold company stopped advertising on his show and he began personally endorsing a new gold sponsor which he said he is now doing business with because of some gibberish about having a new investment strategy. What about the suckers who purchased gold from the first sponsor based on Prager’s personal endorsement? The same guy who makes himself out to be the paragon of ethics and virtue.

The same guy who makes himself out to be the paragon of ethics and virtue.
    Try not to pay such close attention...you'll sleep a lot better. It's just entertainment.

Try not to pay such close attention...you'll sleep a lot better. It's just entertainment.
    With Prager, it’s more than just entertainment, or so he purports—He’s writing books on the Bible. Prager probably believes that his radio show is the greater good and he prays that God won’t judge him harshly for whoring himself out to gold sponsors and others.

If it's really such a big problem, he wouldn't do it. For any price.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast